The Great Long Drop Brake Debate

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dov

by Dov

Why oh why do they not release new group sets with long drop brakes???

I know there are options: Shimano Ultegra, TRP R957, Grand Cru but none of these are gonna look good with DA9000

Are there any ways around having to not break a group set for after-market long drop brakes?
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

In short, no. Not that I'm aware of.

I wonder if someone could engineer a brake shoe that fits standard calipers, but extends the reach.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

knef

by knef

Such a brake shoe exists. I've seen it somewhere.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Cool, I did not know that existed.

DMF

by DMF

I have the BDop, it's actually a very nice piece of quality kit. Recommended.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Why?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

How much extra reach do you get out of the extenders? Thought they just gave a few extra millimeters, to get to the lowered brake tracks of some carbon clincher?

Also, I'd really just run dedicated medium/long reach brakes, before resorting to such a hack. The TRP RG957 looks very nice, actually.

DMF

by DMF

Really more of a hack to use 1:3 brakes with 1:4 pull ratio levers... My BDop is 5mm offset.

I've used it to mount a KCNC C7 to a frame that only takes long reach brakes.

Rick

by Rick

I took a dremel to the adjustment slot of some Dura Ace 7700 series brakes so I could use them with 700c wheels on a 27" frame.
They work fine. I probably extended the slot 4-5 mm

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Modern bikes designed with clearances to take fenders do not all fall into the same category these days. Rather than making significant changes to geometry, frame designers typically introduce small amounts of clearance by raising the brake bridge at the rear a little and adding just a small amount of extra length to the fork legs. This means that regular close clearance brakes still tend not to have enough drop, but the large amount of drop provided by deep-drop brakes is sometimes unnecessary.

Point being ... the small amount of extra clearance offered by the B Dop extenders might be just enough to allow the fitting of fenders. But it depends on the frame in question.

basilic

by basilic

Rick wrote:I took a dremel to the adjustment slot of some Dura Ace 7700 series brakes so I could use them with 700c wheels on a 27" frame.
They work fine. I probably extended the slot 4-5 mm

Rick, would you show us what you did? a picture of a caliper arm without the brake pad? thanks in advance

solarider

by solarider

The advent of disc brakes means that not many manufacturers will now invest in nice long drop brakes unfortunately.

The bikes for which they are intended (tourers, gravel bikes, winter trainers etc) that need fenders and hence clearance will now become disc brake by default as new models are released.

Rick

by Rick

From the scuff marks on the arm you can see where the "normal" positiuon of the pads were. I elongated the slots until it was just enough to use on my 700c wheels.
There must be some parallax effect in the photo, because the pads actually line up with the rim on the bike, at least when clamped.
This bike was built for 27" wheels in about 1980 and you can see it has fenders attached. I just couldn't bring myself to scrap a good frame, so I converted it to a winter commuter.

Svetty

by Svetty

knef wrote:http://bdopcycling.com/BDop%20Offset%20Holders.asp

I also have these. They work really well giving about 7mm extra drop. In use they are as effective as normal pad holders and are not a bodge at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com