Overall Ultegra Di2 6770 topic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rmerka

by rmerka

I don't think it would be that hard to make Mac compatible e-tube software. IMO Shimano should do it, especially considering they put the ability to make changes to the system in the BCR-2 which is obviously intended for the home user to be able to do rather than just the LBS. I'm not sure how you could ever connect an iPad to the e-tube system though...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kjbnz

by kjbnz

Hi there -

I have just swapped out my RD-6770 to a RD-6870 and the RD is "dead"

Shifters are 6770 / FD-6770
Chain Ultegra 11 Speed
Cassette Ultegra 11 Speed
Junction SM-EW67-A-E

--------------------------------------

I have a EW-90-A and cables along with a SM-BCR2

Q1. can I pop the EW-90-A in series with the EW67 so I can plug in the BCR-2 and do a firmware upgrade? (I do not need to charge the battery, happy to take it off the frame) UPDATE: you can only use 1 x EW

Q2. If the above is not possible - Can I jury rig cables to the shifters with the EW90 and BCR-2 (I'm trying not to disassemble the handlebars) do the upgrade and then put the EW67 back in series? UPDATE: This works and I was able to update the firmware.

UPDATE: I put the 6770 RD back in and it works fine. The 6879 RD is dead when I plug it in. Any ideas?
---------------------------------------
UPDATE 2: Tested the RD6870 on another bike that has 9070, it was dead on there as well. I also tested the RD6770 on the 9070 bike and it worked fine. Looks like it may be a faulty RD unless anyone can shed light on the issue.

Just for the haters... This is written on my MacBook Pro which is sitting beside the old Windows machine that is just running E-Tube

Thanks in advance

/K
Last edited by kjbnz on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

glepore

by glepore

Changes? Shifting speed and multi-shift are really only it, other than updates. If'n you can't find a friend with a Windozer, then you're not in the right crowd.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

vdrey

by vdrey

carbonLORD wrote:I managed a design agency for 15 years and worked on high level campaigns as an interactive programmer before I was the carbonLORD. (well, while I was becoming the carbonLORD) :wink:

Guess what equipment we worked on?

Windows can keep the virus scans and other dodgy aspects that would have and continue to hinder production.

Now, if I were an investment banker or something else in my previous life, that might be different.

The minute I installed VM ware or Parrallels resulted in having to wipe clean an entire system within the month.

That is why I will not be conned into spending more time and money to maintain a PC. Unless Windows 8, or Vista or whatever they have actually functions at the same level as a Mac now? But I doubt it.

Last time I attempted to hook up a PCE-1 to a PC, we spent more time trying to figure out why the drivers didn't work and had to source a machine running XP, again wasting more time troubleshooting then actually managing a simple firmware update.

Your Samsung device is a copy of a product Apple brought to the industry FCOL. And lets face it the entire world of mobile Apps and Mobile OS was created by Apple.

Perhaps they do it better now, but my experience with the PC world has always proven otherwise and for the 1 or 2 times a year I might actually need to hook up a computer to my bike is not compelling enough to give it another go.

It's time to realize Apple is only going to grow. It's not 1994 where Apple stocks are $14 a share with no iPhone in sight. I think it might be time for Shimano to hire an iOS engineer and get with the times.

Then they can make a mobile app for your Sammy-phone-tablet-copy-of-an-iPad too.

Okay, my comment was meant as a joke--I prefer windows/android, but i also use/like macs. I would just let your comments go, but now your just stating things that are either just plain wrong or are misleading.

1) I am typing this on a Nexus 7 from 2012. It was designed by Google and produced by Asus--not Samsung.

2) If you upgraded to ios7 on an iDevice, you will have noticed that apple changed how you change apps. Just so you know, it is almost an identical copy of androids multitasking system....

3) My final point: The Nexus 7 I have is a mid size tablet--a comparable apple product is the IPad mini. The iPad mini was released way back in November 2012. The Nexus 7 was released in July of the same year. Who's copying who?

I don't deny that apple makes great stuff, or that there stuff is easy to use. However, if your goal is to buy a computer that works with the widest range of hardware/software you have to look at pcs---that's just a fact.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Christ.

Sent from my Apple iPhone that, along with all my Macs, runs flawlessly. But what do I know? I'm just the guy that owns them.....

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Can we please get back on topic and return this board to what it was intended to be - a forum for Religious Wars between Shimano and Campy (and later SRAM) adherents and detractors, and forget the Apple vs. PC cr@p?

MarvMan

by MarvMan

I just got Di2 9070 and am a Mac user as well. But instead of all the dual boot emulator BS I went on eBay and bought a $90 Windows 7 ASUS netbook. So far so good. Runs the eTube software just fine. Just an option to buying OEM Windows 7 and Parallels software and turns out its cheaper too.

Hope this helps.

-M

jpac

by jpac

you can also you VMware player to run a windows OS in OSX (mac) for free. Just find the Windows 7/XP vmx file (image file that has windows already installed) and download the free vmware player to mac and run it from there. works like a charm!

Delfins

by Delfins

Q about U-6870

Can I use EW90A + double SJ41 for extending ports? (Actually a will use hacked connection using pin-header connectors)

main question is - is the ew90a the same controller as EW90B and will it recognise all devices (as mush as di2 offers)

freeloader

by freeloader

Delfins wrote:Q about U-6870

Can I use EW90A + double SJ41 for extending ports? (Actually a will use hacked connection using pin-header connectors)

main question is - is the ew90a the same controller as EW90B and will it recognise all devices (as mush as di2 offers)

I assume u mean juction box SM-JC41? If so, it should work.
I am using SM-EW67AE in place of EW90A as it is cheaper, and i don't have to purchase 2 additional SD50 cables. Can i ask what's the compelling reason for this arrangement?

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

kjbnz wrote:Hi there -

I have just swapped out my RD-6770 to a RD-6870 and the RD is "dead" ...

I can bet 99% the issue you're encountering is due to incompatible firmware versions.
Given the shifters are only switches, 6770 shifters work fine on 6870 derailleur, provided the ENTIRE system is using current firmware versions.
You have already answered your question about junctions, but keep in mind that the front junction box is firmware-sensitive as well.
If you have no way of updating your firmware box (don't have the pce tool), you will need to do that as well. Again, update EVERY component of the di2 system, the only thing which is "blind" to firmware is the "B" or rear junction which is a simple link.

Assuming firmware doesn't work, connect the 6870 derailleur in a way to allow the diagnostic to check it for any communication errors.

Segueing to junctions... @Delfins - you should be able to use multiple SM-JC as they are sort of invisible in the system, and the 3-port and 5-port junctions are identical save for the extra ports. However, the older SM-EW67 as referenced by @freeloader is (obviously) different given its lack of ability to interface with the e-tube project, charging, etc.

freeloader

by freeloader

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod wrote:
kjbnz wrote:Segueing to junctions... @Delfins - you should be able to use multiple SM-JC as they are sort of invisible in the system, and the 3-port and 5-port junctions are identical save for the extra ports. However, the older SM-EW67 as referenced by @freeloader is (obviously) different given its lack of ability to interface with the e-tube project, charging, etc.

By hacking some DIY connections, I have no problem with those functions -

The SD50 cable connects to the unused port on the shifter.
Last edited by freeloader on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kippenijzer

by Kippenijzer

Is there any reason for using 4 convertor cables, or are half of them supplied with the BCR2 by default? (Asking so I know what I'll have to do when I finally get my BCR2 intended to DIY into a EW67 firmware updating device by the end of the week ;) ).

Kippenijzer

by Kippenijzer

Much faster than expected I received the remaining parts for my Ultegra 10sp Di2 group today. With many thanks to freeloaders image and instructions I am currently succesfully McGuyvering my firmware updates:
Yes, those are a clothing-pin and tin foil ;).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sjoerdverbraak

by sjoerdverbraak

Kippenijzer wrote:Much faster than expected I received the remaining parts for my Ultegra 10sp Di2 group today. With many thanks to freeloaders image and instructions I am currently succesfully McGuyvering my firmware updates:
Yes, those are a clothing-pin and tin foil ;).

Can somebody explaine how this works? and what i need?

thanks

Sjoerd