Enve 3.4 vs 6.7 real world differences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

wickedwheels

by wickedwheels

bman11 wrote:I am pondering the purchase of a new set of Enve 6.7 clinchers. Being that I already have a set of 3.4's, that I LOVE, will I notice a huge difference with the 6.7's? I already know the drawbacks and proposed gains of a deeper wheel. I am merely looking for some real world experience/advice here. I ran a search and came up empty...
About me: I am an all a rounder that doesn't race any longer, but still puts in a ton of miles. I am 6ft/170 lbs and I ride a Colnago CX-1.
Thanks in advance everyone,
BC

I think more than anything it would depend on how well you can handle the bike. You'll get a blown around a little more on the 6.7's, but it's not bad. They are louder, FWIW.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

A visualization for anyone debating between the two. I say save the Lightweight money and buy both of these instead.

Sorry for the contrasty images. Didn't retouch.
carbonLORD.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I like 3.4 personally because my frame is white… but the 6.7 look more badarse on your black bike then they did on my white one.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I'm constantly going through the same debate myself. I live in rolling country. The hills are usually short(isn), but often very steep. It is often very windy here, especially in the spring.

I'm a larger rider (6' 1.5", 180lbs ready to ride) and have had many different deeper wheels over the years. Older, first gen dimpled 404s were sometimes a handful, currently have some DV46 from a couple years ago have are really bad in gusty winds.

On the flip side, I've borrowed Firecrest 404 wheels and had zero issues, even in really gusty strong winds. I've never been on a set of SES wheels though. (but own some Enve MTB wheels and they are top notch, quality wise)

I would be getting clinchers.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

@carbonLORD - You curious to try the 8.9's on your Venge

@Briscoelab - Consider trying this combo of a 6.7 front (60mm) and 8.9 rear (95mm)

IMO - I've found the SES better in heavy/gusty winds (less torque on front wheel) vs. Zipp equivalent i.e. FC 404 vs. SES 6.7 which is why I ended up skipping the 6.7's and going straight to the 8.9's tubs
2014 Hub Tour - Prologue. Awesome wheels!!

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Good shot! I don't think I could pull off the 8.9, but it seems the 6.7 would be brilliant.

Still, in the spring and even summer, it isn't uncommon for us to have 30-45 kph winds, with gusts onto of that. But, I've ridden 404's with out much issue. The pre firecrest models could before a handful at times, but even those were better than my Reynolds DV46. In an ideal world, I'd have both :)

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

dmoneysworks wrote:@Briscoelab - Consider trying this combo of a 6.7 front (60mm) and 8.9 rear (95mm)

I think this is a great idea. Admittedly the 20h rear on the 8.9s makes me somewhat skeptical however that rim is so ridiculously stiff that it's a non issue.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Unless you're doing TT's they will be too deep and spin up too slow.

I had 808's on my C59 for 2 weeks before dumping them for 404's which turned my bike from blah to brilliant!

My team actually yelled at me when I had the 808's. "Whats wrong with you!?!? When you are taking your pulls we're going 2-3mph slower! Are you feeling OK!?!?" A week later, on 404's I hurt everyone. Cant say the same for the 3.4, to 6.7 comparo because they both perform excellent!

carbonLORD.com

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Really, this debate again?

carbonLORD wrote:Unless you're doing TT's they will be too deep and spin up too slow.

http://www.theroaddiaries.com/2013/01/2 ... -sram-red/

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

MarkTwain wrote:Really, this debate again?

carbonLORD wrote:Unless you're doing TT's they will be too deep and spin up too slow.

http://www.theroaddiaries.com/2013/01/2 ... -sram-red/

LOL@ comparing yourself to Mark Cavendish.

He's also riding a frame that's too small for him this season as well.

Please don't emulate the pros and think that makes one an authority.

The man can carry speeds you and I are incapable of and matches a TT on our best efforts.

I spoke of my real world experience and certainly own the gear to give a fair enough comparison.

But, If you believe owning double discs are going to make you Cavendish you should be his lead out man.
carbonLORD.com

06dhewett

by 06dhewett

This concept of reduced rotating weight dramatically improving acceleration and responsiveness which keeps getting thrown around is a complete myth, the effect is pretty much negligible (read this if you're interested: http://biketechreview.com/reviews/wheel ... erformance).

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

No one seems to go for what Cervelo claims, the optimal rim depth for all around road biking is supposedly 40mm :D
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

IchDien

by IchDien

wheelsONfire wrote:No one seems to go for what Cervelo claims, the optimal rim depth for all around road biking is supposedly 40mm :D

Where did they claim this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeridah

by bikeridah

I just sold my LW Standards for Enve 3.4s to go with my 6.7s. I am done with trying out new wheels (for the near future!)