Tire Choice

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm looking to drop some weight on the 29er, because my current selection (Geax AKA TNT) is heavy as sin (non-TNT runs over 700g)! I was looking at either the Rocket Ron's or Racing Ralphs (or a combination thereof), but noticed that they also make a "Snakeskin" version of the tires. Has anyone run those? Is there an appreciable difference to justify the 100g difference between the two tires?

For background, I ride in dry/dusty conditions, that occassionally gets muddy. There are a lot of thorns where I wheel, particularly cactus and mesquite, but also from bramble bushes and the like.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maggo

by Maggo

I run Racing Ralphs on dry condition on rear wheel, Onza Lynx in front for "stickyness" on rocks. Fast rolling tyre with good grip on dry conditions. Snakeskin is a must, as here is lot of sharp rocks that would tear the sidewalls immediatly, running tubeless helped on punctures. Last summer zero problems due these tyres.

Snakeskin adds some weight but prefer riding than fixing my tyres in the woods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Maggo

by Maggo

Just to add on, I will also try Schwalbe's new Thunder Burt for some xcm-races (i only race for fun and try not to be the last ) next season on quaranteed dry conditions and easy terrain, lot of weight saving, but I am not sure about the grip for front wheel, perhaps I will stay on Onza. But something you might want to check out as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I like my Ralph/Ron combo (works even in the UK winter if you don't mind a loose rear), had no punctures in the last 6 months (running tubed), only you know the risk for you!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about rocks, just thorns (lots of them). My current AKA's are covered in them, but the tires have sealed pretty effectively, so I'm not complaining.

I want to start training for this year's races. They usually take place in the late summer, so I'm trying to develop my skills, and I would like to have as much advantage as possible with the lower weight.

How does this combo sound: Ralph (2.2)/Ron (2.0)? Too narrow in the rear? I'm presently running 2.2 front and rear.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Again it depends on how you like the bike to feel and what surface you'll be on, I run 2.25" both ends.

If you live in a thorny area I wouldn't bother with snakeskin as it won't help, but tubeless is a must (as I think you know from what you say).
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

yeah, I presently run tubeless on all my bikes!

Thanks for the help!

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I love the Racing Ralphs. I don't run snakeskin but I don't do many rock gardens either. With over 2000 miles on Ralph's I have never had a sidewall problem. I weigh ~175lbs. Schwalbe has quit making the non-snakeskin 2.35 Racing Ralph so if you like wide tires and don't want snakeskin, there are still places with stock, but when they are gone, they are gone. By the way, the last 2, 2.35 non-snakeskins I bought were below advertized weight (550 and 570 grams) which is amazingly light for such a big grippy tire. I run tubeless on all my bikes. I have both 2.35 and 2.25 and the 2.25 non-snakeskin is still made and will be my main tire going forward.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

If anyone needs a like new pair of Ralph EVO's in 2.35. I have a pair and will let them go for peanuts + shipping

Mostly dry where I ride... I like Stan's Raven 2.0's, Burt 2.1s, Ralph 2.1, and Fred 2.0s which are more like 1.8s

(poor Fred is actually Ralph and Burt's special needs little brother... he's quick, nimble, but not too bright)

I also have a set of Ron's I use for sloppy stuff in 2.25 I'd like to loose. Going to trade them for a pair of 2.1s

Jrock831

by Jrock831

I too run the racing Ralph / rocket Ron combo. But I used the 2.25 Ron (better grip) for the front and 2.1 Ralph (rolls faster) for the rear. They are both tubeless on a hardtail at 22 psi and 19 psi accordingly. Very plush ride with the 127 tpi. Best combo I have tried. But only drawback is the Ralph wear out extremely quick whereas Ron look most brand new after 350 miles of riding.
2004 trek carbon 9.8
2013 giant talon 29er
2001 mongoose XR-500

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

thanks for the recommendation!

Wederkinck

by Wederkinck

I'm also a big fan of Schwalbe MTB tires. Been using Racing Ralph and Nobby Nic or a combination of them depending on the conditions. Definitely going to try the new Thunder Burt. Have anyone tried them yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

S1mmo

by S1mmo

Snakeskin doesn't seem to help at all with puncture resistance.

Not sure exactly what it's designed to do, but I found that it prevented the sidewalls wearing through to the carcass! Sounds odd but the racing ralphs I had previous to my snakeskin ones seemed to wear on the sidewalls. They were amazingly light though!