2013 SRAM RED Shifters - ( Crank Compatibility ) ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vai777

by vai777

Hi All,

I have old 2011 Sram red on my old bike. I am setting a new bike up with the NEW SRAM Red 2013 parts, Yaw Front Derailleur, New Rear and New Shifters.

My question is will the new SRAM RED ErgoDynamic Shifters work correctly with other brand or other model SRAM Cranks ?

Currently I would like to use my SRAM GXP SRM cranks with Power Glide Rings, and future might swap out to a Rotor SRM Crankset.

Velo News states : If you want the new front derailleur and the new shifters, you need the new crank as well unless you don’t mind chain rub.

Please let me know your experiences.

eric

by eric

I've used the 2012 Red shifters and Yaw FD with 2011 Quark Cinco and 2013 Elsa cranks. Both have similar spacing to 2011 Red cranks. Sram chainrings on all of them.

The FD takes some care in set up but I'm told the same thing by people who have the 2012 Red cranks. Following directions helps. It's different from other derailleurs.
I got it to where it does not rub except perhaps in the small ring/small cog combo, which I can't use anyhow with a 50/34 compact as the chain rubs on the 50t.

Shifting is pretty good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

if you're talking about 11 speed, no. 10 Speed, yes.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I read somewhere that the Yaw compatible chainrings (i.e. 2012 Red) are spaced wider than non-Yaw compatible chainrings (i.e. 2011 Red). If you use the Yaw FD along with non-Yaw compatible chainrings you will experience chain rub. I hope this helps.

vai777

by vai777

yeah 10 speed, so you think the new shifters (SRAM 2013) will work with older cranks - SRAM GXP SRM cranks with powerglide chainset.

eric

by eric

It'll work, but like I said, it'll take more care in setting up the FD.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

pdlpsher1 wrote:I read somewhere that the Yaw compatible chainrings (i.e. 2013 Red) are spaced wider than non-Yaw compatible chainrings (i.e. 2007 Red). If you use the Yaw FD along with non-Yaw compatible chainrings you will experience chain rub. I hope this helps.

Fixed the dates for you.

Also, 2013 Red ('Yaw Red' by your naming convention) chainrings have narrower spacing, not wider. And you will probably experience chain rub in some gears - it's dependent on too much to make it an outright statement.

Chello

by Chello

I've set a 10 speed Yaw derailleur up to a Force crankset with Force 10 speed shifters and it works fine. A little chain rub in the small/small combo but otherwise excellent shifting.

Also to clarify, 10spd Yaw chainrings were spaced wider than previous 10 speed Sram sysems, not narrower as BikeTart seems to be saying.

rijndael

by rijndael

http://blog.artscyclery.com/tag/sram-exogram-cranks/

... However, we took a few measurements and found that the distance between the rings on Exogram cranks and Dura-Ace 7900 and 7800 is practically identical.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

You can use 10 speed levers for 2011-12-13 (still technically called SRAM RED 2012) front and rear derailures and shifters with 2011-12 10 speed cranks.

The only issue you will have is that the Yaw front will shift quite a bit better than 2011 10 speed red without Yaw (It's not quite as good as the 2012 10 speed red cranks that have forged rings and a different pattern but it's better than your old shifting by a notable bit).

There is no practical difference for the rear Der mixing between 2011-12 10 speed levers.

stringbean

by stringbean

Might be a bit off topic but i've been running a 2012 sram red groupset with my sram Quarq crank for a while.I was keen on the new shifters mainly because I feel the hoods are a huge upgrade.After a bit of research I bought the new sram Force22 shifters(a lot cheaper than red and I prefer the black look).
Setting the one limit screw to block out the extra gear all I can say is it works and looks beautiful.
So groupset at the moment is:
Shifters:Force 22(11spd)
RD:Red 2013 10sp
FD:Red 2012 10sp
Sram Quarq crank 10sp
All works and looks great,no need to go to 11sp yet and if I do all I need to change is chain and cluster.(I'm pretty sure the 10sp RD will work on 11sp but will test that out later.)

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Does anyone know if it is compatible to run Force 22 with SRAM Red 10 speed chain rings??

EDIT: They are X-Glide 10 speed chainrings.......Charles says no, but wondering if anyone has run it for a while.

Musiker

by Musiker

I just installed SRAM red 22 on my Parlee and I did not get new chainrings (so RED 10speed compact crank (Powerglide)).
It does not work, the spacing is different..
From http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/11/ ... ity_307163 :
"Our 22 groups actually have the chainrings slightly farther apart than our 10-speed groups, in order to ensure that all cogs can be safely reached in the small ring, and the chain and front derailleur are specifically designed to work with that gap. Running a 10-speed chain on 11-speed rings or an 11-speed chain on 10-speed rings could cause chain jams or derailments."
Last edited by Musiker on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Musiker

by Musiker

Mhh now I am trying to find red 22 110mm chain rings in europe - I am getting conflicting results.
Is it because my Red rings are so old they are called Powerglide? And I should just get X-Glide 10/11 speed?
EDIT: Now I am seriusly confused..

It seems that my 10 speed chain rings should be compatible with 11 speed chain... I did not think my chain rings was worn out, but that might just be the case.

Anyone able to tell me if running a PowerGlide chainring of this type:
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CRSRREDOR/ ... nring-road
Should work without chain riding on top of cogs?

I also seem to be getting conflicting results to wheter Red 22 110mm chainrings will fit my current BB30 Red crank?

eric

by eric

What does "it does not work" mean?

You can get chain ring spacers from your LBS (they are in the QBP catalog). 0.6mm is the thinnest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com