New Wheels opinion - ENVE or Lightweight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which Wheels?

MEILENSTEIN Obermayer WEISS EDITION • Lightweight
43%
Enve 3.4 with Alchemy Elf/Orc hub
47%
Enve 3.4 with White Industries Ti hubs
11%

Total votes: 47

stang1

by stang1

Guys, narrowing between the choices, given a 200lb rider who prefers long term flat terrains , would a 6.7 be a more ideal choice if i liked the stiffness of the Mavic CCU ? a 20/24 or a 24/28 for a 6.7 ? Do elf/orc hubs come in 24/28 ? I absolutely love white spokes, what spokes come in white? What would be the ideal spoking pattern?

Opinions greatly appreciated as always. :beerchug:

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@stang1- The Alchemys do come in a 24/28 but the 6.7s don't. With that said though the 6.7 is an extremely stiff rimset and even in a 20/24 hole count its capable of handling riders of your weight and above. Concerning the spokes you can get either Cxrays or Aerolites in white no problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

The flats deserve 6.7... Go for it
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

stang1

by stang1

Zen Cyclery wrote:@stang1- The Alchemys do come in a 24/28 but the 6.7s don't. With that said though the 6.7 is an extremely stiff rimset and even in a 20/24 hole count its capable of handling riders of your weight and above. Concerning the spokes you can get either Cxrays or Aerolites in white no problem.

Thanks! Appreciate all the thoughts and input!

spdntrxi wrote:The flats deserve 6.7... Go for it

looks like its going to be a fruitful trip for me.. :P

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Like I mentioned before… I had Zen do my 3.4s… I was considering 6.7 but my tri-geek days are over because of a bad knee (don't run well) so I don't climb well either, but I am working on it. :) Plenty of hills in my area.(norCal). Mt Diablo.. Hamilton.. so 3.4's made sense. Laced up with CXrays in black with 1 white spoke per wheel to be "different" Came out pretty cool looking.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

bman11

by bman11

Zen built my 3.4's also with CXrays and CK R45's. They are amazing and VERY versatile.
Just dig in and climb it!!!

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I wasn't in the market for Lightweights, but I had Fairwheel build me some 3.4 clinchers with Tune hubs. Lighter than Kings :beerchug:

bman11

by bman11

I have Tune's on my Enve 25's...They are awesome hubs, that's for sure
Just dig in and climb it!!!

kolarzyk

by kolarzyk

After building and riding many set of wheels i think that Alchemy hubs or tune hubs with Enve rims are really better and more reasonable choice than Lightweights

sawyer

by sawyer

stang1 wrote:
sugarkane wrote:Here in Australia I can get a set of enve custom wheelsets for under 3k lightweights cost upwards of 5k.. So yea big difference in price and every thing you pay for with the lightweight service up included with the std price.. And 'ride quality' is not a term that is every used with lightweights. They are hands down stiffer than any thing built with steel spokes..
If your using boras then there is no reason to buy a set of lightweights..
Harder riding wheels that offer no better aero or cross wind handling than the wheels you have..
If you want awesome carbon clinchers get some 3.4 customs and if you want a set of awesome climbers and don't have a good custom builder then a set of Hyperion ultras

Does not stiff wheels convert to better power transfer ? :roll: Just curious. I have a set of Mavic CCUs and indeed they are far stiffer than my BoraU2.. But the hubs :x

SO if by chance I can get my hands on a set of either enve 3.4 tubs (alchemy/orc hubs) and LW tubs(DT190) for 4K mark, is the enve 3.4 still more of the better choice?

Dude, drop some Ceramic Speed bearings in the CCUs and be done with it.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

barsook77

by barsook77

Lightweights over Enve any day.

Ever consider Corima Aero+ MCC's?

Top notch ...