Just signed up to Weight Weenies

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

2old4this

by 2old4this

I’ve been following the Weight Weenies for a few years now. Finally decided to sign up (me being old fashioned, online privacy and all that.)
Been biking for over 20 years but never got to a point I can race seriously (too short, too fat, too many kids…) Still really enjoy building and riding bikes.

Here my two latest bikes (one built last year, and one I just built during holidays.) My opinions on these are mine only, so no flames please :wink:

Frame is SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod DI2. Dura Ace DI2 all over, except Cannondale Hollowgram SISL2 Cranks and Spiderings. Zipp stem and handlebar. Fizik Antares seat. Ritchey seatpost. DTSwiss RRC32 DiCut wheels. Actual weight is 12.4 lb (without pedals but cage and Garmin Edge stuff included.)
Love this bike but at times, doesn’t feel stiff enough, especially when climbing. Nonetheless, still feels comfortable 50-60 miles no-stop rides. Front shifting is not as smooth as Dura Ace but definitely not bad at all. Dura 9000 brakes are now my favorites.

Frame is Fenomalist DI2. Stem is Enve carbon from Cannondale BlackInc. Dura Ace DI2 shift & derailleurs. Breaks are Ciamillo Gravitas SL. Handlebar is Zipp SL2. Enve 3.4 wheels (DTSwiss 240 hubs with ceramic bearings. Selle Italia optima teknologika seat. Storck seatpost. Praxis rings with THM Cla cranks. As configured, 12.8 lb. Replacing the wheels to DT Swiss and skewers to Tune brings the weight down to 11.9 lb (again without pedals but cage and Garmin Edge stuff included.) but it is not worth it. The Enve’s are heavier but they are stable!

I was afraid this would be a too stiff bike, and make the long distance rides uncomfortable. Well I was wrong. It feels very very solid. I am not quite sure if it is the frame or cranks or … Very satisfied at high speed, low speed, climbing, cruising, Like it a lot, except two things. 1) Praxis rings do not shift nowhere as smooth as Dura Ace or even Spidering from Cannondale. They are stiff alright but I was expecting better shifts. 2) Ciamillo breaks. They look really really nice. And, well, that’s it. Less modulation and less stopping power then Dura Ace, EEBrakes, or even Ultegra. Did I say they look good? :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

This site is an addiction and since you now joined you can add to the conversation knowledge when needed.
Can never have enough knowledgeable people on this site! :thumbup:

2old4this

by 2old4this

Let me try the links manually
http://sdrv.ms/1eDsnLV
and
http://sdrv.ms/1lTzkMg

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Welcome! Love your builds, they look great. Smaller frames look so much better. Everything is more aesthetically balanced.

2old4this

by 2old4this

Thanks, and I agree with you, smaller bikes look tidier.

Now if I can find brake-cable housing with matte black color, I'll be done with the Storck one. It really is irritating; the Shimano black cable housing is the only thing I don't have in matte.

BrianVarick

by BrianVarick

Do you feel like these racy frames work for you? It would seem that you would be a candidate for a more relaxed geometry that is still stiff.

2old4this

by 2old4this

Not quite sure. I have short legs and longer upper body. Stretching to the front feels more comfortable. What frame do you have in mind?

BrianVarick

by BrianVarick

I am sure there are a lot of people here who know a lot more than I do about geometry. They might have some ideas for you. I just feel like you are taking frames that don't necessarily fit you and then making them fit.

Beyond that, I like the bikes and their spec:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com