Shimano RS80-C24 vs Shimano WH-9000-C24

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyronix

by cyronix

I just bought the RS80 wheelset with 24 mm carbon rims ... got it for reduced price as new for 325 euro, and also bought 2 tires continental gp 4000s also reduced 27 euro each ... still waiting for it to arrive :-)

But still ... I Just wanted to know about the difference to the WH-9000 Dura Ace ...
as far as I know, the difference is just the hubs, so the rims and the spokes are the same ...
and still the RS80 got Ultegra hubs, which are still quite good ...

Originally I wanted to buy the C24, but I just can't justify spending so much on the dura ace wheelset because of the hubs ... and then I saw the RS80 for a reduced price, I just couldn't resist and had to buy them ... I mean the cheapest price I found is 679 euro for the WH-9000, so the RS80 cost only about 45 % of what the WH-9000 cost and still you have ultegra class wheelset with the same rims and spokes ...

But what I really want to know about is how much better can the ride of the dura ace c24 feel?
I mean it's lighter, but it's just the hubs, in rotational weight, the most important things are the rims, or not?
The hub of a wheelset feels more like immobile weight or not? it's like saving 100 grams in the frame somewhere, or not?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

applebaconator

by applebaconator

RS80 is carbon laminate over alloy. The Dura Ace 9000 C24 uses better carbon laminate and also bonds to a lighter alloy underneath.

I've had to borrow my friend's RS80 briefly because I was waiting for the Dura Ace C24 to arrive. Rim is much better on the C24 - lighter for sure, easier to spin. The dura ace hubs are lighter than Ultegra, and felt slightly smoother than RS80. In short, if you get RS80, you're getting a good product. If you get Dura Ace C24, you're getting a great product.

You can get the Dura Ace 9000 clincher for US~700 if you look hard enough. It's worth the money.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

It has been debated that the new DA9000 rims are wider than last years RS80 rim....now the RS81, which would definitely have the same rim at the DA9000 C24 is still a good deal at about $550. Also, of course, you could not use the RS80 with 11 speed as it is not compatible and cannot be upgraded without some machining, etc.

All that being said, most likely you would not be able to tell the difference if you rode both blindfolded.....but I wouldn't suggest it. :wink:

F45

by F45

Another difference is build quality. The DA wheels are put together by the best technicians....according to Shimano.

Nebby

by Nebby

btompkins0112 wrote:It has been debated that the new DA9000 rims are wider than last years RS80 rim....now the RS81, which would definitely have the same rim at the DA9000 C24 is still a good deal at about $550. Also, of course, you could not use the RS80 with 11 speed as it is not compatible and cannot be upgraded without some machining, etc.

All that being said, most likely you would not be able to tell the difference if you rode both blindfolded.....but I wouldn't suggest it. :wink:

I don't know about the C35/C50/C70, but I have the DA9000-C24 and it is not wider. I will redo the measurements when I get home if I remember and post the widths if people are interested.

plpete

by plpete

I believe the C24 wheels are wider but not 23mm wide. The rim is 20.8mm wide, according to Shimano. So wider than older traditional wheels but also slightly less than the new 23mm rims. Either way, I absolutely love my 7900 C24 wheels.

hmai18

by hmai18

According to Shimano's specs, only the C50 and C75 go really wide.

WH-9000-C24-CL
-20.9mm rim width at braking surface

WH-9000-C35-CL

WH-9000-C35-TU

WH-9000-C50-CL
-22.7mm rim width at braking surface

WH-9000-C50-TU
-24mm rim width at braking surface

WH-9000-C75-TU
-24mm rim width at braking surface

nyoda

by nyoda

I just bought a pair of RS80-C24 from Planet X for $384.95 + shipping. I'm extremely excited to try them out!

justapstar7

by justapstar7

My LBS makes me an offer of either Dura Ace 9000 C24 with 590euro or the RS81 C24 at 400euro.
I want this wheelset to be my training set(of course).
In weight its a very small difference around 46 grams.
Does the DA justifies the 200 euro difference?

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

applebaconator wrote:RS80 is carbon laminate over alloy. The Dura Ace 9000 C24 uses better carbon laminate and also bonds to a lighter alloy underneath.

I've had to borrow my friend's RS80 briefly because I was waiting for the Dura Ace C24 to arrive. Rim is much better on the C24 - lighter for sure, easier to spin. The dura ace hubs are lighter than Ultegra, and felt slightly smoother than RS80. In short, if you get RS80, you're getting a good product. If you get Dura Ace C24, you're getting a great product.

You can get the Dura Ace 9000 clincher for US~700 if you look hard enough. It's worth the money.

I ride Dura Ace 9000 C-24's. They are a great product. The only negative I found with these wheels was that for the first two weeks I found that braking would result in pulsing vibrations going through the fork. I had everything inspected and readjusted and as the local bike shop predicted it went away on its own in a relatively short time. They spin up quickly and are a dream to ride up on tough upgrades.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

HillRPete

by HillRPete

justapstar7 wrote:Does the DA justifies the 200 euro difference?

If this is a question to you, then probably not :mrgreen:

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

justapstar7 wrote:My LBS makes me an offer of either Dura Ace 9000 C24 with 590euro or the RS81 C24 at 400euro.
I want this wheelset to be my training set(of course).
In weight its a very small difference around 46 grams.
Does the DA justifies the 200 euro difference?

Personally, I think it depends on what you will be doing with the wheels. If you live in an area without much in the way of hills, the bike is not high end, or the wheels are going on a training or winter bike, then no, its not worth it. I put them on a relatively high end bike, which I ride often, so for me was definitely worth it. If I were putting new wheels on my old Trek 5200 I would proably go with the RS81 or Ultegra 24's(assuming I went Shimano again). I say that last part because Fulcrum makes some nice wheels too.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

justapstar7

by justapstar7

Apologies for the lack of info.
Bike is the new S-Works Tarmac sl4(2014).
These wheels will serve me as training wheels and depending their quality-weight i may use them in races etc.
Roads here in Greece aren't the best but i am at 67kgs not heavy as a rider.
Since i am new in road bikes with experience only in mtb(XC) all i know(and everybody else) is that wheels are the first component that really matters on a bike.
A carbon 50mm wheelset is also in mind but only after i gain some real experience.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

justapstar7 wrote:Apologies for the lack of info.
These wheels will serve me as training wheels and depending their quality-weight i may use them in races etc.
Since i am new in road bikes with experience only in mtb(XC) all i know(and everybody else) is that wheels are the first component that really matters on a bike.
A carbon 50mm wheelset is also in mind but only after i gain some real experience.

Depending on how bad those roads are you might be best served with an alloy wheel containing more spokes.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Twinning

by Twinning

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
justapstar7 wrote:Apologies for the lack of info.

Depending on how bad those roads are you might be best served with an alloy wheel containing more spokes.

Not true. I am a 93kg rider and I rode the rs80 for just under a year without any spoke issues. Spokes are a concern for me and I called shimano and asked them about max rider weight and they said there wasn't one. Good enough for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk