Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

upside

by upside

Soooo bad of me and posting on WW. I will weight them up on Wednesday.. I was rushing to install the Veloplugs. I was also concerned with fitting tires. Last year I had a set of 38's and the tires were a bitch to install and the only tires that would mounted reasonably was a Schwalbe. Not so with the new rims, the tires went on easily which I was hoping would happen.

pushstart

by pushstart

Nismo4x4 wrote:I've had my 50mmx24mm CC's for about 8 months now with no problems until now. I broke a spoke on the NDS yesterday during a normal training ride and was wondering if anyone knows the length used in order to replace it? They are the Sapim CX-Ray spokes if that helps. Thanks!

For the Ed hubs, this is my original response from sales rep at Farsports:
"About the spoke lengths is 258mm for front wheel,261mm for rear drive side and 265mm for rear disdrive side. And the spoke tension for front wheel is 90kfg and 135kfg for rear drive side."

IMPORTANT: my rear wheel was 2x/2x. So probably to be safe, do the calculations yourself. The Ed hub geometry can be found on BikeHubStore.com (the rear is UL190).

(Mine were undertensioned, which it sounds like might be an issue for you. I ended up completely retensioning the rear wheel, but you might be able to just add the spoke and bring things up to tension).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shortsocks

by Shortsocks

Thanks everyone for this unbelievably informative post. I'm learning a lot from this. :D

asdf123

by asdf123

I have ordered two sets of wheels from Kyle in a timespan of 2 years and never had any problems.
The quickness of reply beat any other company I ever dealt with even outside of cycling.

wielracer

by wielracer

What is the best hub option these days?

I've read this topic and the conclusion is that Edhub is the lightest but not the best one around?

These are the options

1470g(+/-30g) with EDhub(2:1 or ceramic bearings)
1515g(+/-30g) with Bitex hub
1525g(+/-30g) with Novatec hub
1515g(+/-30g) with Yuhub straight pull
1526g(+/-30g) with Chosen hub
1524g(+/-30g) with DT Swiss 240S hub

Ceramic bearings are a hype, not necessary for bikes
Edhub = Bitex

I hope someone can give me some good advice, thanks

asdf123

by asdf123

wielracer wrote:What is the best hub option these days?

I've read this topic and the conclusion is that Edhub is the lightest but not the best one around?

These are the options

1470g(+/-30g) with EDhub(2:1 or ceramic bearings)
1515g(+/-30g) with Bitex hub
1525g(+/-30g) with Novatec hub
1515g(+/-30g) with Yuhub straight pull
1526g(+/-30g) with Chosen hub
1524g(+/-30g) with DT Swiss 240S hub

Ceramic bearings are a hype, not necessary for bikes
Edhub = Bitex

I hope someone can give me some good advice, thanks

I only had experience with Novatec's and DT builds. I had to replace the bearings in Novatec's quite a lot of times due to crapy seals in them. Plus the Novatec Campy freebody was noisy as hell (not as CK, though). But its just me. Most of people will say good things about them.
Now I'm happy with the DT hub.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I've got EdHub ceramic with the 6 pawl freehub on both of my FarSports wheelsets. I have at least 4K miles on them between the two sets, and they have been fine and spin smooth.

WheelTester

by WheelTester

So I have tried contacting Far Sports 3 times over the last 1 1/2 weeks with a few questions about their wheels and I can't get anyone to respond. What is the trick to get them to respond? I have used the "contact us" form on the website, I have emailed sales3@farsports.cn and I have emailed Mae at mae3116@hotmail.com. Are they on holiday or something???

Maybe someone here can answer my questions...
- Do they make a different rim for tubeless tyre vs. non-tubeless tyre or are they both the same?
- Can they make spoke count 18 front with a 20 or 24 rear wheelset?
- Do they ship your wheels with Titanium skews or do I need to purchase them separately?

I have purchased wheels from Yeoleo in the past and they always respond to my emails within 24 hours. Far Sports lack of response has me a bit concerned to purchase from them.

Cheers~

eric

by eric

The contact form doesn't seem to work.

salesN@farsports.cn where N is 1-8 or so usually works but it goes to one sales person... if they're on vacation or whatever then they may not answer.

I've bought from Angela, sales4@farsports.cn and she always got back to me in a business day (their time zone is about 8 hours off mine).

XCProMD

by XCProMD

eric wrote:The contact form doesn't seem to work.

salesN@farsports.cn where N is 1-8 or so usually works but it goes to one sales person... if they're on vacation or whatever then they may not answer.

I've bought from Angela, sales4@farsports.cn and she always got back to me in a business day (their time zone is about 8 hours off mine).

sales2@farsports.cn (Kyle)

WheelTester

by WheelTester

I took a dive and ordered the 2014 38mm clincher wheels(1250g +/-30g),23mm wide. I went with the Ed Hub Ceramics and CX Ray spokes. I worked with Kyle and I have to say he was very responsive and answered all of my questions in a timely manner. I will post up a review once I receive them.

Cheers~

saverio

by saverio

Hi,
It's my first post in the forum, sorry for my English, is not my natural language. I 'm looking for ideas on this company and what I read are good.
I will propose a setup and let me know your impressions.

Seeking a :

700C Full Carbon Clincher Wheelset 50mmx23mm

+ Spokes Sapim CX- RAY spokes BLACK
+ Nipples SIL BLACK
+ HUB hub novatec a291sb-sl/f482sb-sl BLACK
http://novatecusa.net/project/a291sb-sl/
http://novatecusa.net/project/f482sb-sl-f582sb-sl/
+ 3K matte finish
+ 10SP Shimano

You see this setup right?
Seeking wheels having quality and stiffness.
Another HUB quality and easy maintenance can recommend me?
I do not want the ceramic and don´t expensive DT.

That review will deserve the
HUB Powerway PHB-R13/PFH-R13
http://www.power-way.com.tw/phb-r13.htm
http://www.power-way.com.tw/pfh-r13.htm
Spokes MacAero 424cn

And another question , what type of lacing recommend for my weight?

I'd like to hear your opinions.

Regards
Last edited by saverio on Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saverio

by saverio

I have read quite the thread. I have seen people who know a lot about.
I would like help to make decisions. I do not know much about this topic.
I'm learning a lot these days, but when I make a decision is difficult.

I raise two new questions:

What difference do you see between Hubs and novatec powerway

+ BLACK HUB hub novatec a291sb-sl/f482sb-sl
http://novatecusa.net/project/a291sb-sl/
http://novatecusa.net/project/f482sb-sl-f582sb-sl/

+ HUB Powerway PHB-R13/PFH-R13
http://www.power-way.com.tw/phb-r13.htm
http://www.power-way.com.tw/pfh-r13.htm

Leaving aside the difference 4grs total weight.
I have seen the type of aluminum is different
powerway 6061AL
Novatec 7075AL
It can influence the difference?
How about the duration of these hubs?
They are resistant?
Replacements are easy if you have to repair?

Regards

Nismo4x4

by Nismo4x4

Hi all,

When I ordered my wheels, I was given the option to order a 10 or 11 speed freehub for my ceramic ED Hubs (Bitex RAR9 equivalent) and went with the 10 speed because I thought I would be using a Sram cassette. I ended up using a Shimano 10 speed cassette and noticed when I mounted it (without spacers) there was a fair bit of play regardless of how tight the lockring was. I noticed that when I used (2) 1mm spacers that the play disappeared and it functioned as intended. I then tried the Sram cassette and also noticed that i needed 1 spacer to prevent any play. My question is does anyone think I received an 11 speed hub due to these spacing issues? I attached a photo with the Shimano cassette and the (2) 1mm spacers but I don't have an 11 speed cassette in order to test compatibility. Any help would be most appreciated.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I have two of the 11 speed wheelsets, and I think 11 speed is distinguishable by the machined area next to the flange that mates to the hub (an area where the anodizing is gone and the silver shows). I received a spacer with the wheels that was much thicker than the standard shimano spacer, and I think that was so it could be spaced out for 10 speed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com