Fizik Ares - Two versions? 163g vs 199g

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tdudzik

by tdudzik

Can anyone shed some light on the Fizik Ares saddle? I've come across two different versions on the internet. One is at a claimed 163g, and the other is at 199g. On competitive cyclist, the two go for different prices, but have the same description. Also, the red/black one has these "bumps" on the top, whereas the white/black one does not. Is it just a newer model? I'm looking to buy one very soon.

Edit: Even on the fizik website, the red vs the white one are different. The price is still the same, though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcl10

by dcl10

I don't know what the deal is, if its new or just another model, but the red one has firmer padding (which I prefer) and as you mentioned the bumps.

tdudzik

by tdudzik

I did some more research. I was told that the white one is the TT model, and the red one was the Tri model. Weird, I know, but if you look at the cardboard plates that they come on, that's exactly what they say. One says Fizik Ares Tri 199g, and the other Ares TT 163g.

Anyways, I bought the white one. It weighs less, and cost me $50 less than the red one on CC.

ChrisBlount

by ChrisBlount

It's been a while since the previous posts but I though this was a good place to air a concern I have.

We (the Blounts) have 4x original Fizik Ares saddles that were purchased because they were UCI legal i.e. longer than 240mm. In fact they are 242mm long providing a 2mm safe margin and avoidance of any dispute with a UCI official.

When moved forward to the UCI limit of 50mm behind the bottom bracket, the saddle gives an aggressive but UCI legal set up.

The new Fizik Ares which I believe was launched in 2013 and appears on the 2014 Fizik website is a different item. Fizik claim the new saddle is 235mm long and if correct IS NOT UCI LEGAL!

Reference to images of the early and late models provides visible evidence that they are not the same.

Original
http://www.deltabisiklet.com/Pub/images/3018_725_l.jpg
New
http://www.metrobicycles.com/images/lib ... 617-12.jpg

So please take care when buying.

ChrisBlount

by ChrisBlount

Selle Royal Spa have got back to me to say

"There is a mistake on our website that will be immediately corrected.
The length of the (Fizik) ares model is 240 mm.

That would suggest the platform is the same even if the upholstry is more generous, who knows?

It would appear to still be UCI Legal and remain a sensible choice bside their new Fizik Tritone.

If it matters to you it's probably still worth checking what it measures for peace of mind.