"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djconnel

by djconnel

Tapeworm wrote:^ Wow, I would be surprised if SRM were swapped for Stages...

That's it. I predict an off year for Team Sky. Expect riders to emerge from season with rippling muscles on left legs and atavistic, atrophied right legs due to biofeedback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

:D

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

kudos for stages aiming high.

does stages work with those osymettric joints?

dream leadout would be like... tony martin -> boonen -> petachhi -> renshaw -> cav.... could start from 5ks out? haha

i know the bike hasn't changed but OPQS color scheme is NICE!
Last edited by nathanong87 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djconnel

by djconnel

This is really funny:

Chris Froome and SRM. The two are like peanut butter and jelly. The world as we know it is changed forever.

Anyway, Stages makes the same error as SRM, Vector, Quarq... cadence one per pedal stroke, so an error with Osymmetric.

Stages produced somewhat outlier results in a comparison I did with DC Rainmaker data:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Sky probably had to use stages b/c w/ their SRM they couldn't make 6.8 w/ the Pinas unless they ran stupidly light wheels :P

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Meh

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Understated, classy look but ultimately kinda boring, have to agree with the "meh"
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

Guerdi

by Guerdi

The new fizik volta looks really good IMO

DanW

by DanW

^ Wow, I would be surprised if SRM were swapped for Stages... but then money talks. Least they'll have very accurate left leg power measurements.

Though in relation to SRM sponsoring Sky, were they actual sponsors? I know Sky purchased a lot of their own gear.

If they buy their own stuff then might they buy Stages rather than SRM? Are Stages really that bad it would need to be a high money marketing ploy?

I wouldn't have thought Pro's have L/R differences. Even in sloppy weekend warriors the difference is only a % or two from (what little) I've seen.

What does your data show djconnel? Sorry, I'm too sleepy to digest it all properly!

Unless Stages gives wildly fluctuating power readings then it is just as good a training tool as anything else surely? Plus it's light and this is WW :D

P.S. POC helmets seem like a good metaphor for team Garmin- Trying hard to look cool and be different to the pack but under the surface being no different to those around and ultimately looking a bit stupid (in reference to their doping policy) :D

ave

by ave

Maybe Sky have both left and right cranks with Stages sensors? Not sure if the unit would fit between the rings and the arm, but maybe.

But even with only one leg measured during races, I'm pretty sure they'll know each riders' pedaling balance, so can correct if neccessary.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Guerdi wrote:The new fizik volta looks really good IMO

that thing looks horrible

lookin' like some battle droid head on the seatpost

Geoff

by Geoff

Roger, Roger (+1)...

pastronef

by pastronef

http://news.pocsports.com/2014/01/10/po ... rtnership/

3 year deal for Garmin with POC for both helmets and sunglasses

djconnel

by djconnel

DanW wrote:What does your data show djconnel? Sorry, I'm too sleepy to digest it all properly!

I have a Garmin Vector I got but I'm embarrassed to say I've not installed it yet. It won't fit on the Lightning cranks I have on my race bike, and on my Ritchey Breakaway, I'm afraid the pods will get destroyed taking the bike on the Caltrain bike car. I definitely plan to try it out reasonably soon, though (I'm running more this month).

But a 2% change in L-R balance (for example, 50-52%) is still a 4% error in estimated power (since power from the L leg is doubled). That's a big deal for a pro rider, I'd think. And it's not just change over time, but change under different conditions, for example fatigued versus fresh, or climbing versus flats.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

You guys are missing the point- they probably do not care about L/R balance as its a complete red herring. The units are probably valuable because they don't need a compact and standard SRM and swap cranks often in stage races. With Stages they can use the same arm regardless, making it easier to have power for every single stage.

Also, Stages accuracy during highly variable efforts probably doesn't matter as Sky does not race cross, do criteriums, or technical MTB races. It probably works just fine for what they need. Also, no need to worry about calibration and elevation.

Also for maintenance and transport it has got to be a world easier in terms of support required to monitor the battery life of units, when units have been calibrated, etc., which is an inherent flaw of SRM's design until they make a unit that has a user replaceable battery and is easier to user calibrate.

Regarding L/R balance, I've been monitoring mine for around 6 months with my P2M. In the meantime I've gotten fit adjustments of all sorts from a well-regarded fitter. The verdict? Despite my cleat being 5mm off on one side and having an asymmetric (as confirmed by x-rays) pelvis, my balance never gets worse than 48/52. Even with the tweaks the rides vary between 50/50 and 49/51 and during hard, anaerobic efforts it stays fairly linear. It really doesn't matter all that much nor is it really changeable. After months of adapting to position changes it looks like everything else is identical on my QA plots for similar rides.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike