"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

DartanianX

by DartanianX

POC Aero road helmet used by Steele von Hoff to win the Australian Elite Men's Criterium title.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

euan

by euan

Still rocking the old Garmin kit
"Step forward the climber and all those who worship at the altar of lightness" - R. Millar

by Weenie

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

are the straya nationals not being televised anywhere?

djconnel

by djconnel

I find it fascinating these guys facing a full year of racing in Europe can come out with guns blazing at nationals in early January. Sure, these races are easy compared to racing the Tour or a spring classic, but still it seems luck a big kink in the normal pattern of preparing for a season.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'm not a pro so I can't speak from experience. But when guys like Cadel Evans and other big pros say they are using it as preparation for the Giro, I guess it makes sense. I suppose it would be different if your goal is for a podium finish at some big 3-week race in July...

hna

by hna

Some of the riders would like to bag a national championship win, and tries to build some form for the race. Some focus on the upcoming season in europe. The latter is often some of the better riders. I think this always makes the australian nationals exciting. There are a lot of different riders that can win it.

Then you have Simon Gerrans, who tends to be good in both january and amazing later in the season.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

POC aero road is actually a really good looking helmet, the best of their lot IMHO.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

I think people take a certain kind of pleasure in posting un-flattering photos of Cav haha!
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

i think photographers are taking a pleasure in taking un-flattering photos of cav!

but i like cav! just funny that photographers are taking....

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I know it will be different come March/April, but he has absolutely no definition in his legs in that photo....and a pudgy gut.....but as long as he smashes it in July none of it matters

KWalker

by KWalker

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/ ... tep/288195

Weird HT/TT junction. Almost like a Venge without the top cap, but its labeled a Tarmac. New frame model/protoype?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

KWalker wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/gallery-on-the-road-with-omega-pharma-quickstep/288195

Weird HT/TT junction. Almost like a Venge without the top cap, but its labeled a Tarmac. New frame model/protoype?

djconnel

by djconnel

xnavalav8r wrote:I'm not a pro so I can't speak from experience. But when guys like Cadel Evans and other big pros say they are using it as preparation for the Giro, I guess it makes sense. I suppose it would be different if your goal is for a podium finish at some big 3-week race in July...

Seems like it's preferable to have more miles, less intensity, less chaos for Giro preparation. Park yourself somewhere warm with good roads and ride a lot.

But it's not always a matter of optimal preparation, but compromising among multiple goals and pressures.

KWalker

by KWalker

djconnel wrote:I find it fascinating these guys facing a full year of racing in Europe can come out with guns blazing at nationals in early January. Sure, these races are easy compared to racing the Tour or a spring classic, but still it seems luck a big kink in the normal pattern of preparing for a season.

A pro is likely never any worse than 90% of their season's best these days. If you want to believe what Sky says at face value, bump that up to 95%. When you're Cadel Evans and can climb at 6.2 w/kg at 68 that implies the ability to put out a sustained effort at 420w. Considering its also a 1 day race and not a Grand Tour, its probably not too hard for him to put out a 405w effort or something in January. Plus, you have to realize that (at least in the US) the World Tour guys are definitely a big step up from the pure domestic teams. It seems the gap is narrower in Australia, but still, that WT experience and power probably goes a long way even in smaller races.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie