Belt drive, disc brake compatible, 700c frameset. =AWOL/pics

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

The Co-Motion is close to US$5000.00. Yikes! I have to find something my wallet can support... or sell some other bikes.

jooo

by jooo

I know you said that custom was probably not an option, but have you thought about a nice no-frills build from someone like Waltworks, Quiring etc? That way you could get the exact options you're after.

Also, there are also a few custom titanium options in that similar price range. Something like a Habanero? Triton are also making some nice looking frames in house these days. Some options can even be a bit cheaper if you don't mind a wait and/or dealing direct with a builder like XACD.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I think I may cave in and buy the AWOL frameset. It's a fraction of the price of any other similar frameset I have found. I was able to get a complete Alfine di2 group including wheels for a steal. Using parts I already have, I can order the belt drive components and keep my total cost under US$2000.00.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I bit the bullet and bought the AWOL frameset. Unfortunately I can't afford a similar frameset from another brand.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Collecting of parts is coming along nicely. I picked up a new pre-built wheel on ebay with a Supernova dynamo hub for $250. It's on a different rim than the rear but I am not so concerned with aesthetics on a commuting bike. All I need now are the lights, fenders, and parts for the Gates carbon drive.

Build plan:
AWOL Frame
AWOL Fork
Cobl Gobl-r Seatpost
Selle SLK saddle
BBB Headset
KCNC Stem
Easton EC90 SLX bars
Alfine di2 11 drop bar shifter/levers
Alfine crankset and b/b
Alfine di2 11sp rear hub (on Mavic Open Sport rim)
Supernova Infiniti S front hub (on Velocity Dyad rim)
Gates Carbon drive (belt, rear cog, front cog)
Avid BB7 road disc brakes
Avid centerlock rotors
Supernova E3 dynamo front and rear lights
Crankbrothers Candy pedals
Lizard Skins DSP bar tape
Tires TBD
Fenders TBD (looking for fullest coverage possible)

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Found this today. Considering adding one to my build. They're available on ebay for as little as $125.00.

http://www.gizmag.com/suntour-swing-shock-suspension-fork-for-commuter-bikes/18607/

trychle

by trychle

Why would you need one of those? Such a fork only adds weight :evil:

The looks of that fork are in line with the looks of that cobl cobl-r seatpost tough!

wickedwheels

by wickedwheels

I have a Spot Acme. I tried it as an experiment on belt drive and internal. I set it up with drop bars as a commuter machine. It's an interesting ride. Very quiet. Feels bomb-proof. I run it with 28c tires, but it could easily take 38c or more.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Trychle - strictly for comfort. My commute is pretty bumpy. When the weather is nice, I often ride on the gravel and dirt roads along the dunes just to enjoy the scenery. This would smooth out the ride nicely (I think).

wickedwheels - I currently run 32c Maxxis Detonators as my commuting tire. I don't know if I'll go wider.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

All my Alfine di2 components arrived today. Rear hub is definitely a tank. Just waiting on the frameset which will probably be another 2 or 3 weeks. Due to a budget crunch I am going to run it with a chain drive for the short term and buy the belt drive components later. The only parts I need to purchase to get riding are disc calipers. I'm stalking ebay auctions for some Avid BB7 RD or similar.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Frame finally arrived at the shop back in the U.S. They are forwarding it to me. I should have it in hand by the time I get back from this latest trip to sea. I hope to have the bike built and riding by late April. Of course, I had hoped to have it finished by the end of January, but the availability of the frameset killed that hope.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Finally home and ready to begin the build. Only part I am missing is the rear cog for the belt drive... which is backordered. So I am going to build with chain drive for now.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

About 70% complete with the build. A few issues...

Front end is EXTREMELY tall. I need to lose the included 15mm headset top-cover and slam the stem.

Can't run my Avid BB7-RD disc brakes with 140mm rotors. There isn't enough clearance for the calipers and they contact the frame. To get clearance I have to add spacers which necessitates 160mm rotors front and rear.

Need some sort of spacer for the rear disc rotor. There is a gap (several millimeters) on the rear hub between the rotor and center-loc lock ring.

The external routing for the di2 wiring is UGLY! I am thinking of drilling the frame and switching to an internal battery. Only need 2 holes.

Still waiting for the rear cog for the belt drive and the Cobl-Gobl-R seatpost to arrive.

I should have the build (with chain drive) finished tomorrow. I'll post pics when complete.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

UGH! Too many wires... di2, dynamo hub, lighting system, USB charger. I'm a bike geek, not an electrician.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dton13

by dton13

Looking forward to seeing pics! Very interested in building an AWOL frame set as well, basically faced the same issues as you finding a frame within my price range. Do you have any in progress pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk