The cold

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I got back from Cuba just before christmas, and haven't been able to get out on the bike at all here in Toronto. It's not just the cold, but it's the ice that's still everywhere that won't melt. I can't afford any more broken bones.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

devinci

by devinci

A few -20 to -30 C here with tons of snow. The temp was reaching -40 C with the wind factor. Could get some nice ski rides with an icy beard :D

ah, Canaddien winters

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

A "my cold is colder than your cold" pi55ing contest :lol:

or it would be if it didnt freeze! :wink:

Spare a thought for us that are getting trenchfoot :lol:
Official cafe stop tester

eurperg

by eurperg

In Finland, babies are still napping outside when it's -20 C... :D

DMF

by DMF

As cold weather pi55ing matches goes, the Fins' will always take it home (I'm 1/1 part finnish ofcourse...) and this old joke really nails it, enjoy!

+15 C This is as warm as it gets in Finland, so we'll start here. People in Spain wear winter-coats and gloves. The Finns are out in the sun, getting a tan.

+10 C The French are trying in vain to start their central heating. The Finns plant flowers in their gardens.

+5 C Italian cars won't start, The Finns are cruising in cabriolets.

0 C Distilled water freezes. The water in Vantaa river (in Finland) gets a little thicker.

-5 C People in California almost freeze to death. The Finns have their final barbecue before winter.

-10 C The Brits start the heat in their houses. The Finns start using long sleeves

-20 C The Aussies flee from Mallorca. The Finns end their Midsummer celebrations. Autumn is here.

-30 C People in Greece die from the cold and disappear from the face of the earth. The Finns start drying their laundry indoors.

-40 C Paris starts cracking in the cold. The Finns stand in line at the hotdog stands.

-50 C Polar bears start evacuating the North Pole. The Finnish army postpones their winter survival training awaiting real winter weather.

-60 C Korvatunturi (the home for Santa Claus) freezes. The Finns rent a movie and stay indoors.

-70 C The false Santa moves south. The Finns get frustrated since they can't store their Kossu (Koskenkorva vodka) outdoors. The Finnish army goes out on winter survival training.

-183 C Microbes in food don't survive. The Finnish cows complain that the farmers' hands are cold.

-273 C ALL atom-based movent halts. The Finns start saying "Perkele, it's cold outside today.

-300 C Hell freezes over, Finland wins the Eurovision Song Contest.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

:beerchug:
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

Geoff

by Geoff

Strangely, I love it! There is something about being out in the snow, not a cloud in the sky and -25 (ambient air). So still and quiet. Unearthly, almost. Thank goodness for modern glide wax.

The 'fat tire' revolution is interesting, too. Maybe it's time to do a carbon frame, carbon tubular Di2/EPS, SRM, 'road/'cross' winter bike? Hang-up the skis, roll-out the fatty...

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Don't do it you might break a hip. :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

MoPho

by MoPho

prendrefeu wrote:I'll just leave this here:
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weathe ... n=USCA0638

Be thankful you have seasons, even if they are cold, wet or miserable. You may think that our weather is ideal, but here is what a guy from Tennessee said to me today, and it rings sadly true:
"So I've been here a week, and I don't know how anyone could live here with any motivation to live after a few years. Just a few days and I feel like I'm living in the Groundhogs Day movie. It's the same. Everywhere, everyday, every direction. There's nothing in the sky, season or air to remind you of change. I can't wait to take a flight back home. Seasons are vital for feeling alive."

Sounds like someone rationalizing why they don't live in SoCal. Spent most my life in the Northeast before moving to LA, seasons suck! Feeling alive is being able to go out and ride your bike, take a hike, go to the beach and see hot girls in bikini's playing volleyball, eat at an outdoor cafe, etc in January, not being stuck inside because it's too friggen cold while waiting for the damn season to end. And the Summer sucked too, humidity sucks! :-P

I just had to move to the Bay Area, been here a week and already miss the SoCal weather :(

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Yes I would like to go out any time and not worry about the weather. Unfortunately that type of environment makes you soft. :lol:
It's best when you adapt to all the elements.
That is why when you live in a 4 season environment it doesn't get boring.
Some like the one or 2 season environment.
If it's an out door sport you want to experience the elements.
It just makes you stronger. Diversify not just in your portfolio. :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

MoPho

by MoPho

stella-azzurra wrote:Yes I would like to go out any time and not worry about the weather. Unfortunately that type of environment makes you soft. :lol:
It's best when you adapt to all the elements.
That is why when you live in a 4 season environment it doesn't get boring.
Some like the one or 2 season environment.
If it's an out door sport you want to experience the elements.
It just makes you stronger. Diversify not just in your portfolio. :lol:

Keep telling yourself that.... :wink:

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

DMF wrote:This year Sweden is not getting a winter as it seems, it's all very peculiar weather wise. But the other day, they showed the weather "disaster" in New York on the news, -13C and like half a foot of snow, warning everyone to only use public transportation and staying off the streets...

I almost fell out of the sofa, laughing so hard I nearly cried... What the hell? -13C and showing someone pushing a shovel down the sidewalk that barely filled up halfway with a very powdery snow... People acting like it was Armageddon...

I am not even from the north of Sweden, but seriously, -13C and 2,5ft of snow, that is by all means bike riding weather for most here, even the odd senior citizen going to work...

Overreacting seems to be the way to go these days. It was really cold, but we ended up not getting that much snow, not like some of the blizzards we've had, nor the winter of 2003 where it was major storm after major storm. They're just getting soft.
Speedplay is the devil!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

stella-azzurra wrote:Don't do it you might break a hip. :lol:

like me :cry:

There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

+1 on bikerjulio's comment. Cold is fine, but the roads in Toronto have been brutal with ice. Too much of it is hidden until you're on it. I too have more than my fair share of metal screwed into bone, and my wife promises the next broken bone will be fatal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Cross bike, 700*35 dubbdäck.
Mud guards if it's above about -10 (as the stuff they spray in the roads to melt the ice works down to about -8, depending where you live) no guards below -10 (as you are asking trouble with snow/ice clogging them up.)

Decent set of winter kit and you should be set for 25 below.