Any experience with the Fizik Antares 00 saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

r_mutt

by r_mutt

not much padding if compared to the standard Antares. the difference in cushioning is noticeable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Have to say I didn't like mine at all. It was too wide. I originally thought that more width would equate to more surface area to distribute my weight, but it didn't quite pan out that way. Because of the width and carbon frame, the saddle was constantly chafing against my thighs. I much prefer the Selle Italia SLR.

corky

by corky

i have 3 of them, prior to that Selle Italia slr... 00s much more durable.

illnacord

by illnacord

Yes. I've had a pair of Antares 00 but have let then go. Reason is the 142mm width is not actually usable - the wings extend far out and actually pinch into thighs. It is indeed Nibali's preferred saddle. The Antares looks so damn sexy though and the 00 quality is incredible - the construction is worthy of its steep price. I preferred the Antares 00 to the Arione and Arione CX because the Arione's were too narrow (although I appreciated the length and flatness) ... I've yet to try the Aliante and will soon have an Aliante VSX (the 2014 model with the deep channel) to test. I'm actually about a dozen saddles in on testing and still going although I've found the "holy grail" (keepin' that a secret for now).

I'd like to add the stats on my background: I ride 10,000 miles annually. Mixed terrain, road, dirt. Ride mostly in urban business attire.
Single Speed Steel Bike Rider. Pro-Bike lifestyle.

thp

by thp

Love my 00 for comfort and weight. The new Antares R3 Braided is shocking more comfortable but 160gr.

lippythelion

by lippythelion

Great saddle but no ICS attachment for the Fizik rear light or seat pack if that's something you would be using.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Is there anyone that has experience on the Fizik Antares and the Specialized Toupé 143mm?
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

asdf123

by asdf123

poppiholla wrote:Is there anyone that has experience on the Fizik Antares and the Specialized Toupé 143mm?

I do. The Fizik seems flatter vs Toupe is more 'ergo'. I was recommended Toupe in my first BGFit, test ride it a bit but went with Antares as I value it more for its ascetics. So far so good.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

@asdf123: Is the Antares really 142mm wide and is it effective? I mean the width is really available for the sit bones? I need the flat form and 143mm width on the Toupé to sit well.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

asdf123

by asdf123

poppiholla wrote:@asdf123: Is the Antares really 142mm wide and is it effective? I mean the width is really available for the sit bones? I need the flat form and 143mm width on the Toupé to sit well.

If seek the wide'ness go with the Toupé. I tend to move around on the saddle and I need something wide and flatter so Antates is fine. Would love to see an Antares with a cutout.

headwind816

by headwind816

thp wrote:The new Antares R3 Braided is shocking more comfortable but 160gr.

Interesting tidbit here, yes.

DMF

by DMF

Squeezed the R3 a fair bit on local bike expo couple months ago, really disappointed as the padding seemed very thick, soft and excessive (for a still pretty high-end, MSRP expensive, Antares). Sure, some will consider cushy and soft to be comfortable. But most experienced/seasoned cyclists won't, so a bit disappointing that you have to go up to the very expensive models to get moderate and firm padding.

IMHO, and to each their own, ofcourse. But definitely more padding than my Antares Carbon Braided, which I wouldn't mind having just very slightly firmer (This be the 00 then, which btw wasn't at the expo so is this one disappearing now?)

Edit, asdf123, Antares Versus??

thp

by thp

Every bum is different. I appreciated it for my commuter which I ride without shorts/bits/padding. I felt very refreshed after a 30 mile ride on the R3 in street clothes which would have been torturous on the 00.

The 00 has 2014 inventory in stores so I'd assume it's not EOL yet.

DMF wrote:Squeezed the R3 a fair bit on local bike expo couple months ago, really disappointed as the padding seemed very thick, soft and excessive (for a still pretty high-end, MSRP expensive, Antares). Sure, some will consider cushy and soft to be comfortable. But most experienced/seasoned cyclists won't, so a bit disappointing that you have to go up to the very expensive models to get moderate and firm padding.

IMHO, and to each their own, ofcourse. But definitely more padding than my Antares Carbon Braided, which I wouldn't mind having just very slightly firmer (This be the 00 then, which btw wasn't at the expo so is this one disappearing now?)

Edit, asdf123, Antares Versus??

bazmac

by bazmac

Hi, I have one and I'm very impressed with how comfortable it is.

I have had a back injury with a few operations and have only been able to ride on the indoor trainer for the last few months. I came from a cheap Chinese no name full carbon saddle that weighed 110 grams and went to the Antares wingflex 00 that weighs 135 or something like this ( can't remember the exact weight and I'm away on holiday so can't check it) I was very surprised at how comfy it was compared to my previous saddle as stated.

Cheers baz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Berk makes Antares

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com