Looking for 1" threadless fork

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

HillRPete

by HillRPete

This year I want to build an old Ti road frame into a lightweight tourer, gravel, and errands bike. The plan is to run 650b x 38mm tyres or so.

Can anyone recommend a 1" threadless fork that either
- is of road-ish nature, but wide enough to take bigger tyres, and could be used with long reach brakes
- is of touring (but 650A/B?) nature, and has canti studs.
- is of mtb (26") nature, with enough vertical clearance for 650b x 38mm and can be used with Paul Moto brakes.

Many thanks.

PS: current build here, want to run bigger tyres, got lots of steep rough gravel around the Alps' foothills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Upon more searching, the Surly Steamroller fork might be the ticket. 1" threadless available, 700x38mm clearance, designed for short reach calipers -- should be convertible with long reach ones.
Not really WW compliant, though.

Gunjira

by Gunjira

If you are ok with steel, why don't you just get built what you are looking for? Most builders should be able to build you a fork to spec. While it might be slightly more expensive some of the new stainless tubing is an excellent choice for a comparatively light and stiff fork.

Nice bike by the way, I'm a big fan of Paves myself.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Thanks Gunjira. Price is a concern lately. Family, mortgage, younameit. The Surly is about €80, which is not too bad.
The 27mm paves are great indeed.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

What about an older WoundUp fork? I haven't looked recently, but they used to pop up on ebay all the time.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

xnavalav8r, been looking for them sometimes, but can't recall seeing a 1" one ever. But yes, that would be a great fork to have.

roadieboy

by roadieboy

Soma sells one that may work, and it's chrome too!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Got me a no-name steel fork for the time being. The carbon ones all have such massive blades, which doesn't look so nice with the plain frame, even the Colnago Star fork above is too "heavy", visually.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com