Why are Pro's abandoning Speedplay Pedals?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

It's interesting that Speedplay have neglected to update their comparison tool on their site with the current or even recent competition. Time are now significantly lighter than Speedplay, as are Look. Both have stack heights that are within 1mm of Speedplay's 3 bolt set up too.

As for the pro world "abandoning" Speedplay, it's simple economics. Look, Shimano & Mavic/Time can out bid them.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

I thought this was supposed to be a discussion about why 'Pros' are 'abandoning' Speedplay rather than the merits of Speedplay as a system.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT8

by GT8

I come from a MTB following background and the "kids" on Pinkbike go nuts when a pro rider changes brand/make. When its how you make your living, money comes before brand.

If you offer enough money a pro will ride anything from any manufacturer as long as its fit for purpose - if you made all of the peloton swap bikes it would have made no difference to the final results of any race (as long a right size set up etc)

neeb

by neeb

I'm sticking with Speedplay because thanks to this thread I'm scared that I'll lose the ability to use an apostrophe if I change.

CP

by CP

I don't know what the big deal is!

I've used Speedplays for years (I mean years) I click my shoes in when I start and click them out when I finish. Between those times, I don't even think about them...... Isn't that a sign of good equipment?

neeb

by neeb

CP wrote:I've used Speedplays for years (I mean years) I click my shoes in when I start and click them out when I finish. Between those times, I don't even think about them...... Isn't that a sign of good equipment?
Me too, and the adjustable float is invaluable. Great for clearance, stack height etc too. The only problem I've had with the zeros is that you have to be careful not to get crud into the cleats (so use the cleat covers), and they are useless in snow because you get little ice cubes of compacted snow inside the cleats that stop them engaging...

Admittedly Speedplay as a company are a bunch of bullies and litigious tossers, but you can't fault the product. I try to buy used when possible and use 3rd party replacements parts as much as possible.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I recently changed from Speedplays to Looks and after 3 rides I am sold.....not sure why I took this long tbh. I now regret the years I spent digging gravel and dirt out of those damn cleats!

neeb

by neeb

The thing that may eventually convince me to ditch Speedplay is power meter pedals such as the Garmin vectors, assuming that they turn out to be accurate and reliable and Speedplay don't come out with their own version.

aaric

by aaric

Pros:
Double sided entry
Fully adjustable float
Good ground clearance.
Cleat position is very adjustable front to back, side to side
Great for weenie bike weights as a big part of the weight is on the shoe :)

Cons:
Cleat takes a lot of maintenance.
Grit and grime can really screw them up - from wearing out the cleat to pedal bodies
Pedals require greasing every 2000 miles or so from my experience
Metal cleat can destroy floors, and is slippery as hell on tile.
Lost screws - don't forget to loctite the damn screws.
Company appears to be a bunch of litigious pricks, and haven't evolved the system in years.
Bad for UCI weight checks, as the part of the weight that resides on the shoe isn't considered for bike weight ;)

Neither:
weight - with the whole pedal system weight, there isn't that great a difference.

Me, I finally got fed up with the maintenance and tried some keywins, which weren't bad. Switched to Dura-ace 9000s after that, and have been happy. Hopefully they are as durable as the reputation for previous generations. The new 2 degree cleats are perfect for me - I actually need less float for my left knee due to an old hockey injury.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

neeb wrote:
CP wrote:Admittedly Speedplay as a company are a bunch of bullies and litigious tossers, but you can't fault the product.

Yes you can, they have faults beyond these...

CP

by CP

[quote="Wingnut"][quote="neeb"][quote="CP"]Admittedly Speedplay as a company are a bunch of bullies and litigious tossers, but you can't fault the product. [/quote][/quote]

Yes you can, they have faults beyond these...[/quote]

I did not write the comment above. Please don't Quote me on what I didn't say

neeb

by neeb

CP wrote:
Wingnut wrote:
neeb wrote:
CP wrote:Admittedly Speedplay as a company are a bunch of bullies and litigious tossers, but you can't fault the product.

Yes you can, they have faults beyond these...

I did not write the comment above. Please don't Quote me on what I didn't say

Whereas i did write it, and of course meant it as a figure of speech rather than literally. :wink: I doubt that there are any complex bike products without any faults, but speedplay compare well to the competition in any objective sense - you just need to choose the faults or deficiencies you can live most easily with, and that's subjective.

CP

by CP

I'm saying that I was quoted as saying that SP were a bunch of bullies and I did not write that SP were a bunch of bullies!!

neeb

by neeb

CP wrote:I'm saying that I was quoted as saying that SP were a bunch of bullies and I did not write that SP were a bunch of bullies!!

Yup, but they are though.. Are you worried that they might sue you? :D

CP

by CP

No, (I guess?) but no one likes having words but into their mouth!
But all is cool

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com