S-Works crank on a threaded BB?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Getter

by Getter

I know that Overend used the Spesh carbon crank on his SS Rockhopper a few years back...and from what I read...the older cranks were able to use a Vumaquad bottom bracket to run the crank.

I just noticed Overend using a Specialized carbon crank on a 2014 Crave. The Crave uses a standard threaded bottom bracket. Anyone know how it could have been installed...or it it just a standard Lightning crank that was re-labeled?

Thx

The first image,
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... #in-action

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quantum_Rider

by quantum_Rider

For bsa bottom brackets there are plenty of cups available, that will allow 30mm axle. E13, Rotor, Race Face, THM, etc. S-works mtb cranks should fit in 68mm bb, not sure about 73mm, might be too wide.

xc71

by xc71

It works on BSA 68mm threaded, but you need to make sure you have the MTB version with the 90.7mm spindle. The road version are to short. Use any of the 30mm threaded cups ( I use the Hive cups), remove all spacers between the frame and cups. On the non-DS I run one wave washer and it works excellent. You can save approx. 20 grams running the Lightning spider instead of the Specialized spider on the S-Works cranks.
This won't work on 73mm BB unless you make a Hirth spacer to go between the spindles.

Getter

by Getter

Thanks for the replys!

Specialized uses a 73mm BB. So Specialized used a hirth spacer on Overend's bike?

quantum_Rider

by quantum_Rider

Other option could have been they just machined 2.5mm off from each side of the bb shell.