Converting rear hub from 10 speed to 11 speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Gen1 rear Lightweights use a DA7700 free hub and axle.
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobalou

by bobalou

sled driver wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:Nice work!

Could have just gotten a Campy 11 freehub though and ran a Campy 11 cassette.

But nice work none the less!

In 2009 Corima only offered Campy 10 or Shimano/Sram 10 speed cassette body for these hubs. The current generation Corima hubs are 11 speed compatible.

I know this is an older thread but wanted to confirm. It appears from what I've read, there is not really a different freehub body for campy-10 and campy-11 hub bodies. If you've been running campy 10 then you should be able to put a campy 11 cassette on there with no problem (obviously, assuming the rest of your drivetrain is 11).

This is from the campy website: http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/faq/faqcatid_8.jsp#119

"8. What types of freewheel body does Campagnolo produce?
Campagnolo produces two types of freewheel body: a specific one for Campagnolo drivetrains (from 9 to 11 speeds) and one for non-Campagnolo drivetrains (from 8 to 10 speeds)."

and

"10. Can Campagnolo wheels with freewheel body at 9/10 speeds also be used an 11-speed groupset?
Yes, they can be used without any problem. The Campagnolo freewheel body has not been modified and is compatible with 9/10/11 speeds."

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Campy freehubs from the 9-speed era of 1999 right up to today will all take a 10 or 11-speed cassette.

And since the Shimano and Campy 11-speed cassettes are compatible in terms of spacing, one solution to the hub conversion problem is to change the freehub over to Campy if it's available.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

bobalou

by bobalou

bikerjulio wrote:Campy freehubs from the 9-speed era of 1999 right up to today will all take a 10 or 11-speed cassette.

And since the Shimano and Campy 11-speed cassettes are compatible in terms of spacing, one solution to the hub conversion problem is to change the freehub over to Campy if it's available.

Thanks, there is definitely some misinformation out there on the subject! Guess I'll keep some of my old campy-10 wheels. Have decided to go with Ultegra DI2 so that's great.

Can you say the cassette cog spacing is identical between campy 11 and shimano 11? Or is it just an insignificant difference?

legs 11

by legs 11

It works perfectly.
Pedalling Law Student.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

bobalou wrote:Thanks, there is definitely some misinformation out there on the subject! Guess I'll keep some of my old campy-10 wheels. Have decided to go with Ultegra DI2 so that's great.

Can you say the cassette cog spacing is identical between campy 11 and shimano 11? Or is it just an insignificant difference?

The problem for Shimano-made hubs is that their DS flange is about a mm further to the right than a Campy hub.

Shimano's 11 spd cassette is wider than their 10-spd, but the same width as Campy's.

In going to 11, there was not enough space on their 10-spd freehub, it needed to be lengthened, but to prevent interference with the frame, they lengthened the spindle by 1mm on the DS.

Hence the problem for Shimano hub owners - it's not just a simple matter of changing the freehub, the spindle needs to change too.

Here too is where all the "dishing" anxiety comes from, although it only moves the center of the wheel 1/2 a mm to the left so I think it's a little overdone.

Most (not all) non-oem hubs used a Campy-like flange spacing in order to offer both freehubs. So no spindle problem for them, and no dish worries. If Shimano 11 is not offered by one of these folks then Campy will work fine.

The compatibility question has been thoroughly answered by now - the 11-speeds are completely so.

One.

Miller

by Miller

bikerjulio wrote:Campy freehubs from the 9-speed era of 1999 right up to today will all take a 10 or 11-speed cassette.

True. But don't assume this will hold true for a 10 speed hub for Campag from a 3rd party manufacturer. The 11sp Campag cassette puts the inner sprocket closer to the spokes than the 10sp cassette. For some hubs it is close enough to interfere with the spokes.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Miller wrote:

True. But don't assume this will hold true for a 10 speed hub for Campag from a 3rd party manufacturer. The 11sp Campag cassette puts the inner sprocket closer to the spokes than the 10sp cassette. For some hubs it is close enough to interfere with the spokes.

I will now have to check and report.

I have 2 non-Campy hubs where this is no problem.

One.

Stefano

by Stefano

Seems to me that the above issue would only be a problem on the oldest hubs optimized with narrower 9s cogsets in mind.

As far as the above fix, from the way it sounds, there was no other alternative and he couldn't mill the freehub body any more to get it deeper. Sounds awesome to me :) I'm planning to do a similar thing on my da7800 hubs, lathe the splines more shallow, except I'm just going to take the smallest cog off a sram 11-25 to make myself a 10s 12-25 with 11 speed spacing to work with my campy levers and derailleur.

psycho

by psycho

Hi Sled Driver! I know I'm a few years late on this topic. However ...

I've had the Corima Aero plus tubeless wheelset for 5 years and have loved them. I've also upgraded my Cervelo frame to the S3 and bought the Di2 expecting it to be easy to get an 11 speed freebody for Shimano. I'm interested to know whether your solution worked.

Could you email me your pics that are no longer available on the post. keith.rosmarin@mweb.co.za

Much appreciated.

Best regards, Keith