Trek Project One Delays?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

benhama

by benhama

I ordered a 7 Series Madone, with Dura-ace 9000 and RXL wheels back on 1 November. The delivery estimate was for between 40-54 days. There is no sign of my bike some after some 64 days. My LBS says they are now looking at a date of 25 January, although this is not set in stone. They are unable to tell me why my bike is delayed, or offer alternative options to speed matters up.

A friend of mine ordered a set of RXL wheels in September and has only received the rear wheel, with the front still on back order. He has been given no date yet for its arrival. I am reading between the lines in thinking that my bike is delayed because of the wheels.

I wrote a complaint email to Trek and they will try to respond within 3 working days due to high volumes. This is not giving me much confidence when spending a not insignificant sum of money.

The purpose of my post is two fold:

1) Is there a problem with Project One bikes at the moment?
2) Is there a problem with RXL wheels?

Any recent experiences would be gratefully received.
Last edited by benhama on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

upside

by upside

I do not believe there are any problems. There is a huge demand for the wheels as they have gotten a ton of positive reviews. As far as Project one, VERY busy again with demand. I would suggest you have your LBS contact the inside rep... they can give you some better timeline.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

It could just be bad timing. Holiday season. Lots of employees on vacation. Disruptions in shipping due to high volume (look at the UPS fiasco). And an increase in orders due to the holidays themselves. Not to mention the Project 1 team tends to be tasked with the pro-team builds and those bikes also had to be ready in time for January 1 (or earlier).

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I agree with the others. The holidays are a terrible time to order/ship parts. Everyone wants the time off, business has usually picked up. Several businesses are still running lean, but the economy is starting to ramp up, so that also takes a toll on the system.

stormp

by stormp

Its quite normal that the project ones have delays, in the shop i work in we usually tell the customer that its normal with 14 days of delay when they order the bike. Sorry to say. Its also normal that they tell you its 7 days late, but 6 days later they add a week - and so on.. and on.. and on..

This is not only around holidays but all year round - especially the winter time - weirdly enough

benhama

by benhama

Thank you all for your responses. From what I can gauge the delivery dates given by Trek are pointless and worthless. Not good for the reputation of my LBS for Trek.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Sometimes the truth hurts. If they told you it was going to be 6 months, you probably would not have ordered one. So they tell you what you want to hear. Once they have your money, there is little you're going to do but get mad, because there is little chance you'll get your money back.

Lot's of business' work like this. Hopefully, when you do get the bike [and you will], it will be better than you expected and all of this will be a moot point.

Don't know where you live, but in the Seattle area, it is just going to rain and ruin the bike anyway.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Wait, you're complaining that your custom-ordered race bike is delayed? You're ordered a bike during the Christmas shopping season, from a factory in the northern US in the dead of winter IN WISCONSIN. Have you looked at the weather?

The RXL wheels are built there, too, and they're getting a lot of positive reviews. Remember that they ESTIMATED the build would take 45-54 days. Estimates can be off.

I hate to sound like a tool, but dude, calm down. It'll be here. It's not like Trek is going to abandon your order and tell you to pound sand (or snow).

mattr

by mattr

I suppose we can be thankful that you've not actually ordered anything custom made, some of the boutique builders have a year or more waiting list just to start looking at your order. Let alone cutting metal (or laying up cf).

No manufacturer is going to open new factories or bring on new staff just to cover seasonal spikes or the new launch rush. They'll also be in the midst of getting the major players and their own importers 14my stock orders sorted out.........

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

I ordered a Project 1 Domane last year. ETA was 56 days. Arrived in the UK on the 56th day and is stunning. Saw it on day 58 when I dropped into the store. It is still boxed and being built for the spring. Images will no doubt follow....

asv

by asv

I've never bought a Trek, but basically every bike I've ever ordered has been delayed. If you can get a custom bike within 90 days that's really impressive. Kudos to Trek.

benhama

by benhama

In my view it is not a question of weather, holidays or whatever. These are all variables that a half decent computer prediction could take account of. I dare say that is why I was quoted a time frame with a 14 day margin. My issue was that if the time was to double then I should be advised and given options, not just left to hang wondering whatifs. If they would have quoted 90 days at the start then I would have taken that into consideration before I decided to purchase. In any event I understand that Trek have just put in a new computer system, as the old one was giving unrealistic estimates for completion, so all estimates should now be more realistic. My new stead should be with me in 3 weeks time all being well.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

benhama wrote:I ordered a 7 Series Madone, with Dura-ace 9000 and RXL wheels back on 1 November. The delivery estimate was for between 40-54 days. There is no sign of my bike some after some 64 days. My LBS says they are now looking at a date of 25 January, although this is not set in stone. They are unable to tell me why my bike is delayed, or offer alternative options to speed matters up.

A friend of mine ordered a set of RXL wheels in September and has only received the rear wheel, with the front still on back order. He has been given no date yet for its arrival. I am reading between the lines in thinking that my bike is delayed because of the wheels.

I wrote a complaint email to Trek and they will try to respond within 3 working days due to high volumes. This is not giving me much confidence when spending a not insignificant sum of money.

The purpose of my post is two fold:

1) Is there a problem with Project One bikes at the moment?
2) Is there a problem with RXL wheels?

Any recent experiences would be gratefully received.

Use the delay to get the spec changed from Dura Ace 9000 to 9001
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

wasfast

by wasfast

Historically, "custom" anything means longer. Folks often take the lead times as gospel when they seldom are. That said, simple communication about status, newer estimated delivery etc can help apease even the most fussy customer. The old saw of "underpromise, over deliver" seldom seems to be applied.

Going dark in the middle of these processes is what frustrates customers. Sadly, this model seems replicated over and over again.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

wasfast wrote:Historically, "custom" anything means longer. Folks often take the lead times as gospel when they seldom are. That said, simple communication about status, newer estimated delivery etc can help apease even the most fussy customer. The old saw of "underpromise, over deliver" seldom seems to be applied.

Going dark in the middle of these processes is what frustrates customers. Sadly, this model seems replicated over and over again.

How custom is this? With a seven or a parlee or even a Colnago it means custom tubing and sizing. That's not the case with Trek. From the website it appears to me, you are getting a stock frame and selecting from parts they already sell.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com