Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

teleguy57 wrote:not seeing the 56t on the HongFu site now, but they had it earlier; I was emailing with Nancy about it.

Nice, this gives me a path to start down for something in that depth. If you get any leads, let me know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

wynkendeword wrote:Race season's coming up (Early March here in Vancouver, Canada)

Tubulars for EV spring series races why so serious?!?! I kid I kid...

Here's the rundown on what there is for wider, U shaped, firecrest style tubular rims to my knowledge:

Hongfu or UAM 40MM/56MM/88MM http://www.uamcycling.com/ens/?topclassid=264&classid=299
Forthcoming L-B 45mm http://www.light-bicycle.com/700C-carbon-road-clincher-U-shaped-45mm-rim-tubeless-ready.html#all_add_cart

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

petepeterson wrote:
wynkendeword wrote:Hongfu or UAM 40MM/56MM/88MM http://www.uamcycling.com/ens/?topclassid=264&classid=299

Those 56mm's are the ones for me. Thanks for the link.

Anyone ridden those particular rims?
More common to order directly through UAM, or go through someone like (Nancy?) at HongFu?

And what's more important than your hardest, coldest local race series? I figure the wheels will compensate for the three weeks of rum balls over xmas, kind of equalize things out.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

wynkendeword wrote:
petepeterson wrote:
wynkendeword wrote:Hongfu or UAM 40MM/56MM/88MM http://www.uamcycling.com/ens/?topclassid=264&classid=299

Those 56mm's are the ones for me. Thanks for the link.

Anyone ridden those particular rims?
More common to order directly through UAM, or go through someone like (Nancy?) at HongFu?

And what's more important than your hardest, coldest local race series? I figure the wheels will compensate for the three weeks of rum balls over xmas, kind of equalize things out.

Look at post #2 on p47 of this thread. Zigmeister has a set being built up as we post. Not sure I've seen anyone else reference them here.

dwiller

by dwiller

I also inquired recently and heard back from Light-Bicycle about the Tubular version of the 45. I was told a week ago that it would be soon (about 50 days) until it would be available and have asked to be emailed once they are available. That seems to jive with the recent post about it being available in February. No other information about weights or anything like that, but I think they obviously have had enough requests to go ahead with the mold. I am in hold until we find out more.

I wish November would make tubular versions of their rail series wheels, but it sounds like the demand isn't quite there.

Cheers

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

Yeah, I'm hoping to hear / see what user Zigmeister has to say about his HongFu 56's (viewtopic.php?f=113&t=103936&start=690#p1037948) and barring no problems I'll probably get the same (albeit pre-built). Must say the more I read about November (both NovemberDave's posts on here, their own site, and three external reviews) the more I respect the company and, frankly, would be willing to pay the difference to ride their wheels—which spec-for-spec are actually competitively priced. Until (if?) they have a u-shape tubular in that depth, though, it seems the HongFu's (aka UAMs) are my top choice.

sspring

by sspring

Why don't you guys try tubeless set up with the LB 45's? Mine weight only 1390 g with no holes in the spoke bed so no rim tape and when you use IRC or Hutchinson Galaktic Tubeless tires that weigh 240g the weight is pretty close to what you'd get if you run tubular. Weight of the wheesets would be very close so you really would not be gaining any weight advantage over the LB 45 tubeless set up.

Try new things.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Have you tried tubular?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

sspring

by sspring

petepeterson wrote:Have you tried tubular?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I plan to.

Will probably get the tubular LB 45

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

dwiller wrote:I wish November would make tubular versions of their rail series wheels, but it sounds like the demand isn't quite there.

Sounds like you're right: brief response from November Bicycles, posted today, about tubular vs. clincher sales:
http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/20 ... em20716411

Short story: sounds like a Rail tubular version isn't financially viable for them at this time, i.e. very small percentage of their sales and other brands dumping their tubs.

ryker

by ryker

Are people using nipple washers with the Light-Bicycle rims? If so, what brand? I have a set of the 45mm incoming and was thinking about washers. I have built Light-Bicycle rims before (mtb, good experience) but the rim holes were too undersized for my Sapim washers. I reached out to the vendor but they don't know which brand will fit.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

LB built my wheels for me. No idea if they used washers or not.

ryker

by ryker

They do not use washers themselves but agree with the idea in principle.

pushstart

by pushstart

I used Sapim Polyax washers for the U45 disc-brake wheels I recently built.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

My HongFu 56 tubulars are built and on the way back. Problem is now, I'm waiting for PBK to get my new tires/glue shipped to me I'm going to mount. Once I got those, just need a few days and ready to roll. Will report back and provide weights of the built wheels.