Best way to merge Garmin 810 power data with Strava

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Ive copied a few TCX files (from 810) over and they show up as new rides in addition to the same strava ride. Granted I have been not starting/stopping the strava record at the same time as the garmin files.(maybe that's the problem?? don't know). I basically like the way strava has the segments so I can see my PR's breakdown, but I want to compare my actual power data from the 810/powertap.. instead of strava's power info.

any help is appreciated… anybody using copymysport ?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

Why record the rides with strava-app at all? You can just upload your 810 files and get all the information the bike computer collects, including the real power.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

will I still get all the segments ?.. guess I'll have to try.

wetpaint

by wetpaint

Yes, it will still show any segments you ride through.

stefanot
Shop Owner

by stefanot

It would be great if Strava integrated with Garmin's computers. With the iPhone app, the tech is all in place, it would just take some cooperation between the two companies.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

There was a website that would auto transfer data from your garmin connect to Strava. So you could use that auto Bluetooth upload function of the 810/510 to get to uploaded.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

kulivontot wrote:There was a website that would auto transfer data from your garmin connect to Strava. So you could use that auto Bluetooth upload function of the 810/510 to get to uploaded.

yeah it's copymysport now….

I'm just using the .tcx file and importing to strava… did it for my ride this morning and worked well enough. Saves my phone battery for sure.

ridonkulus

by ridonkulus

If you do the garmin upload on strava it should automatically show your power data, maybe it's the fact you're taking the .tcx off the garmin and doing a file upload to strava

arcatern

by arcatern

copymysports works alright, you've got to give it a bit of time. if you rename the rides on garminconnect I find then they upload quicker.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

What would be cool would be if the Strava app were able to sync to the Garmin units (like Garmin Connect does). That way, we could upload rides to Garmin, then connect to Strava and upload through the app, rather than having to use a 3d party program or download the ride as a .tcx file.

arcatern

by arcatern

You basically can do that. Log into Strava with your unit plugged in, hit upload, and presto! It detects and uploads all new rides.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm referring to the Strava app on my phone (an iphone). If the 810 (or 510 for that matter) could connect to the Strava app via bluetooth, same as it does with Garmin Connect and transfer the data wirelessly. I'm assuming all that would need to happen is for Strava to add a bluetooth extension to their app, but I would assume that Garmin somehow encrypts their file transfer to a proprietary algorithm, which Strava (or MapMyRide, etc) doesn't have access to. Sure, the app can connect to the device, but the app won't know what to do with the data it receives.

arcatern

by arcatern

Ah, I see. Thought you refering to the app on your PC, not phone. That would be sweet, no doubt. Programmers iut there, any ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com