New member from Melbourne and a new Storck Scentron Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Aaaaannnnnddddd it's done! Still looking to change out the stem and possibly brake calipers. Had an interesting time tuning the derailleurs to eliminate slight chainrub at the front and it's still not perfect but it will do for now. Went for a decent spin this morning and going again tomorrow so will have more of an idea about handling and other ride characteristics to report back on.

For now, here are some pics.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fixie82

by Fixie82

IMG_0130 by Fixie82, on Flickr

A little build reflection and of course a ride report. The build went relatively smoothly, I just spent a bit of timing fiddling around with the cabling runs to make sure it worked both functionally and aesthetically and due to having the Di2 cable entry on the left side of the downtube it is hard to camouflage the wire. I have had time to work the kinks out from the build, slightly adjusting the handlebar tilt and shifter location as well as tune the shifting. The Osymetric rings provide a few hurdles during the initial setup and simply do not run as smoothly as a round ring with ramps and pickups. I spent close to an hour in a local shop just on the front derailluer in which we dropped it as far down as possible while being able to clear the outer chainring, adjusted the angle and worked the higher limit screws to help give a little more kick to the shift to the big ring. This all helped limit the chain rub that occurs from the size difference between the sides of the ring and the chain movement as it tries to straighten itself during the rotation. We couldn't tune it so it ran with no rub but it is substantially better now, next step would be spreading or bending the cage but that is drastic action. I also diagnosed an annoying click which turned out to the be the valve hitting the sides of the front rim under pressure, this was eliminated by simply taping over the valve.

IMG_0131 by Fixie82, on Flickr

As far as riding goes it's a little more lively than the Scenario but still very stable, I feel it would be right at home on fast long rides. The handling is excellent, stable in a straight line yet nimble enough that fast direction changes are no problem and it still rails a turn. The front end is a little different to what I was imagining and can feel a little wandery when out of the saddle, this may be a position issue as the 44cm Zipps are wider than what I was running and I am planning to go a little lower which will put more weight on the front wheel and might counter the effect. Its stiff everywhere and feels great under power, while still remaining comfortable.

IMG_0407 by Fixie82, on Flickr

I have fitted a training wheelset of HED Belgium rims, laced to a White Industries front hub and Powertap SL rear (G3 Internals). This is a 24/32 spoke combo and uses Sapim CX-ray spokes. Its a pretty solid and classy looking wheelset. I am using 25mm Continental GP4000s tyres and so far they are great riding, very comfortable and great in the turns. Also waiting on a Thomson X2 stem t be fitted which will hopefully complement the look of the frame. I am not a fan of the 3T arx-ltd aesthetically on the build.

IMG_0128 by Fixie82, on Flickr

JimmyRingo

by JimmyRingo

Looks stunning, well done. Very tasteful :D

edit: and then i noticed the socks - I take it all back!

Elrey

by Elrey

Fixie82, it would be very nice to see the bike without the Instagram filter :)

Miller

by Miller

Elrey wrote:Fixie82, it would be very nice to see the bike without the Instagram filter :)

+ a million on this.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Very nice build, I bet you've had fun over Christmas smashing Beach Rd, Kinglake and the Dandenongs ;-)

How do you find the HED / Powertap wheel - I am looking at exactly this combo for my training wheelset when funds provail.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'll add to that.

Some nice, clean shots would be terrific.

pavaobg

by pavaobg

Like Storck!!!