Rotor Flow vs Rotor 3D+ 2014

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IchDien

by IchDien

Going to do either or with the MAS Spider and Aero rings. The new 3d+ (2014 version) is about 100g lighter than the Flow from what I can read but the Flow has an aero advantage and was designed with the help of the aero guru at Garmin-Sharp.

What would be better for a Cervelo S5 which is largely ridden on the flat? Bike is already quite aero with 52mm Cosmic Carbone wheels.

Cheers in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

choplee

by choplee

i can't comment on the flow ,but i had a new 2014 3D+ with aero q-rings and i had nothing but issues with it flexing so much. I do hope it was just mine ,but i returned it and exchanged for a DA9000 and all is good :-) . It could have been a bad first batch or just a one off or even nothing wrong with it,just the shimano's being stiffer.

davidalone

by davidalone

It's probably the rings and not the cranks that are flexy.

I would go with the 3d plus and save the cash.

Omiar

by Omiar

Can't agree that Rotor crank or aero rings are flexy. I run the Rotor combo with the same tight clearance as I did with DA7900 and I have no rubbing against FD.
I think the gain from the Flow crank is really marginal if you're running the aero rings.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

choplee

by choplee

i had massive flex both sides of the FD when power put down the aero rings flexed alot without much effort in my hands as well ....the DA doesn't seem to move ,so the DA is staying ....
contacted rotor and they said they would contact spain ,but they didn't really want to know if i'm honest with you i'm expecting rotor to get back to me .

IchDien

by IchDien

Cheers guys. Anyone else with thoughts?

LeviR

by LeviR

I would go with MAS Spider. It allows you to set Q-rings +1/2. And off course it is also aero.

dalex

by dalex

IchDien wrote:Cheers guys. Anyone else with thoughts?

If it's for an S5 that will mainly stay on the flats then you should definitely go for the Flow, since this is much more in keeping with the rest of the bike's purpose. Last year I even went for the Flow on my R5 that is mostly used in the mountains, mainly because of better aesthetics and little weight penalty for the improved aero.

IchDien

by IchDien

Cheers, fellas. Went with the Flow w/ MAS Spider and 53/39 Aero Q rings in the end - works a treat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Got any pics of it. I have an S5 too and I'd love to see how yours turned out. I've been contemplating the exact same question.