Waiting for Campagnolo full carbon clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Anybody has some info about these wheels? It would be great when Campa launches high full carbon clinchers.
Last edited by poppiholla on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Miller

by Miller

There's been a Hyperon clincher for a year or two already.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Hope to see som bora clinchers in the future, would be awesome!

corky

by corky

yeah would like to see a tubeless Bora 35.....

Attermann

by Attermann

http://www.bike-components.de/products/ ... dsatz.html

Aren't these Bora one clincher rims? and aren't they full carbon, or is there a core of aluminium in them.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Attermann wrote:http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p24496_Bora-One-Bright-Label-Carbon-Laufradsatz.html

Aren't these Bora one clincher rims? and aren't they full carbon, or is there a core of aluminium in them.

No the bora one are tubulars only.

I doubt they will make a high profile carbon clincher soon. They have been selling the hyperon ultra carbon clinchers for several years, but they are expensive.
██

ichobi

by ichobi

Same reason you haven't seen full carbon clinchers from Shimano (yet, I think they announced they are making some last year). For one CC doesn't make much sense in (pro) road racing and Campy is knee deep in it. I read somewhere they wouldn't release new product unless it's throughly tested by the pros and is 100% guaranteed to be safe. You don't see pro use clincher Zipps. They always go for the lighter and safer option and Zipp reports they haven't seen rim failure due to heat yet. Also, unlike some other companies, Campy aren'y really interested in Triathlon market where CC is widely popular.

campyman099

by campyman099

There are a few teams that are using Carbon Clinchers in TT's because some tire/wheel combos give better rolling resistance than the tubular options, ie QuickStep
Quit whining and go ride your bike!!

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Too bad that Campa is a bit conservative/slow when it comes down to new products. They give also little information about the products to come in the near future. :-(

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

poppiholla wrote:Too bad that Campa is a bit conservative/slow when it comes down to new products. -(

Like the exact opposite to SRAM and their disastrous introduction of hydraulic rim/disc brakes? Meaning, there are reasons why Campagnolo is like that.

legs 11

by legs 11

Or first 10 speed groupset......or first 11 speed groupset........or first to make carbon levers............or first to build low spoke count aero alloy factory wheels etc. :wink: :roll:
I wouldn't call Campagnolo conservative or slow to react on any level. :)
The carbon clincher market is pretty small in Europe, hence the reluctance to try and develop these wheels.
Pedalling Law Student.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Maybe you are right, but there can always be an issue that was overlooked. I believe the Sram Hydraulic rim brakes work fine but there is an issue when it is very cold outside. So maybe Sram overlooked the fact that some serious wintertesting was essential.
Campa is always very good at testing and bringing mature products to the market, although I believe, that there are some issues with the ESP shifting.
Campa should give us some more sneak peeks at the products to come in the near future. I would really like to see some top quality 50mm full carbon clinchers by Campa. :-)

legs 11

by legs 11

Maybe, but I can't see it happening anytime soon.
Go tubular? After all it's only a 'state of mind' once you get your head into the idea it really is worth the stress if you want to truly benefit from a deep section rim with a reasonable comfort level.
Nothing beats the hum and feel of a good tubular at high speeds........ :beerchug: :thumbup:
Pedalling Law Student.

corky

by corky

tubeless make the same sound as tubular inmy experience.....

i installed EPS 6 months ago and havehad no issues whatsoever, setup and forget.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Not to get into the clincher/tubular debate, I will say I think Campag has done carbon clinchers backwards and I just don't understand why. Carbon really starts to show it's advantages when you look at doing deeper depth rims, this being even more true with clinchers compared to tubulars. However when done as a shallow wheel a carbon rim is rarely lighter by any significant amount than it's alloy counterpart. Some of the lightest low carbon clinchers are about the same weight as alloy clinchers in the same dimensions. So to do a low profile carbon rim you're not really taking advantage of the material, just it's looks and loss of braking quality. When you look at rims 30mm or deeper, carbon clinchers become significantly lighter than their alloy counterparts. If you ask me, Campag should have done a deeper rim as their first carbon clincher.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com