Is it more cost effective to be your own mechanic?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

DMF

by DMF

Try bike repair on a Di2 equipped Cervélo P5 Tri-bike with a mis-shifting rear derailleur, a sluggish front brake and a creaking drivetrain and you'll see that "I must know hydraulics, mechanical, electric, computers, software, and know every intermittent issue known to God."

No, bikes aren't rocket science, neither are cars, and yet in both cases the world is full of incompetent, fist-handed "professionals" who more often than not do more damage than they solve...

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

OK lets see:

1. Sluggish front brake.
Solution: Check cable tension or any binding in cable. Set cable tension and adjust cable tension screw.

2. Creaking Drive Train.
Solution: Check bottom bracket,
Check pedal spindles,
Check cleats,
Check front ring bolts,
Check freewheel
Check cassette ring
Check Front Derailleur alignment
Check Rear Derailleur alignment

3. Di2 mis-shifting rear derailleur
Solution: Reference Di2 adjustment procedure
As an example http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... allation-1
And there are many more on-line
If all else fails replace because thats what is the ultimate repair with electronic systems where even your mechanic can't help unless they are an electrical engineer and can repair such things.

With cars, bikes, or anything thing electric most mechanics just replace the entire unit. You pay for the diagnosis and replacement not necessarily repair of said electric unit.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

Stella, maybe you missed that the P5 may come with Magura hydraulics?

When a customer describes something as a drivetrain creak it could be anything, very, very often even a seatpost issue (or a cracked frame)...

Anyhow, I think you missed that I was making a point rather than a post.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Even if it's a hydraulic brake there is plenty of info on-line how to fix this.

My point is if you have the time and want to apply yourself on fixing most things you can.

There is only one requirement needed: You have to know how to read and comprehend other than that you're fine.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

DMF

by DMF

You're right, but that has certainly been established multiple times already in this thread, hence missing the point and the reference to the earlier post about auto mechanics which I was referring to. That was the point of my post.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

It depends which mechanic you get:

the one that knows what they are doing without breaking other stuff or
the one the doesn't know what they are doing and they break other stuff but don't tell you about it.

My "stuff" have not seen a "professional" in years and likely never will :lol:

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Really, a bike is a simple machine. A car is more complex. No reason to argue that. For every Tri bike issue that you can imagine, I can trump you with an even more complex car issue.

I will agree for a company to make a shifting system that fits every bike frame on the earth would be a difficult task. Let alone a company that makes frames work for any component made in the world.

A 'Fist Handed Professional' can easily make anything complex. A 'Fist Handed Amateur' can ruin anything they touch. Finding a true Professional is difficult, no matter what field you are in.

Franklin

by Franklin

Sorry guys: I do not have the money to do it myself.

shlammed

by shlammed

I am undoubtedly my own mechanic. I have built a few bikes, 3x the amount of cars and now im a carpenter since we have bought a house.

Its not just the money aspect; there is pride in a job well done, I can do it in my downtime for relaxation and im not waiting on someone else either in a pinch or in general.

Bogan

by Bogan

I do as much as I can myself. I don't think about the cost actually I don't care about the cost. I reckon it is fun and very satisfying doing it myself.p
Last edited by Bogan on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

mm1

by mm1

This ^^^ fettling bikes is fun, but if you don't enjoy doing it don't! There are some jobs I can't do (building wheels), some that I won't (cutting carbon), but I'm game for everythin else.

Horizons

by Horizons

How did you guys learn how to build and maintain your own bikes? i'd love to build my bike up myself rather than have a mechanic do it.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Horizons... It may be a little late for you, but here's how I did it....

Start at eight-years-old, in a family with little money, and a dad with low mechanical skills.... progress from there!

mattr

by mattr

Horizons wrote:How did you guys learn how to build and maintain your own bikes? i'd love to build my bike up myself rather than have a mechanic do it.
Youtube, Park tools website, Sheldon brown, even use the instructions.

Or spend your life fiddling. And doing a mechanical engineering degree. Or working in a bike shop.

Lots of ways.

mm1

by mm1

All of the above, Sheldon Brown, Park Tool and if I'm honest some expensive mistakes along the way. Started working on my own bikes close on 40 years ago, using Richard's Bicycle book (Richard Ballentyne), I still have tools that I got when I was a teenager. Key thing is to be methodical, keep parts in the order that you disassembled them and if you're not sure about something check. Best not to build a bike if you are tired or unwell - seriously, my most recent build I had to rethread internal cables several times because I kept forgetting ferrules and forgot to start by threading through handlebar guides etc. - frustrating, but funny...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com