Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Just ordered a pair of Vaypor's from Ribble to try out. Been riding on Sidi Wire's for a bit now but always interested in newer Bont's, had issues with the CTT-1's in the heel area but read that it has been improved. Loved the stiffness and overall feel and if the heel has been improved than I'm in a for a treat!
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hubert222

by hubert222

SolidSnake03 wrote:Just ordered a pair of Vaypor's from Ribble to try out. Been riding on Sidi Wire's for a bit now but always interested in newer Bont's, had issues with the CTT-1's in the heel area but read that it has been improved. Loved the stiffness and overall feel and if the heel has been improved than I'm in a for a treat!

try my 0+ yesterday, really stiff and light (wear 2013 s-word before)!i love it!
I wear 42 at s-word , buy 43 at bont. still have some space inside, is it normal ?
The best Quality bike i had - colnago - c40, c50 , time -vxrs , bianchi, Look - 381, 585Ultra. giant- Adv SL isp

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Ok finally bit the bullet and bought some Zero plus wide fit the other day. Fit is way better than the standard fit I had before but I still need to push out the sides a bit to get the fit spot on.

I tried the heat molding the other day but to be honest the shoes didn't get as hot or squishy as I had expected. My oven has a slow cook setting that's apparently 90c. Even after 30 minutes at that heat they weren't too hot as to have to leave them out for a few minutes to cool as per the instructional video. I could feel the carbon was soft but not overly. Do you think I should leave them in for longer when I do it next to push out the sides?

I did the trick mentioned here and stuck a few layer of sticky foam on my feet at the points l need room, but don't think it made any difference. Hence the reason I think they're maybe not getting hot enough.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Alright well it's a with a heavy heart that I just need to give up on Bont's. I love the stiffness but the rear lip of the heel cup just destroys the area around my Achilles Tendon. Possibly a combination of pedaling style and foot/leg structure just makes it intolerable.

Looks like Bont's are going the way of ~130mm saddles for me, just don't work :(

The shoe build quality is quite good and the stiffness is amazing but can't handle the heel part. Anyone looking for a pair of basically brand new 42 Vaypor's in Black let me know...
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

TimW

by TimW

I had to give up on them too. Similar heel problem but also the toe box was just too small (in height).

spud

by spud

I can't comment on the Vapors, but...

I bought A1s on special a while back. I don't have special shaped feet, beyond some bumpiness near the achilles attachment. I heat molded them 3 times, including using a folded over paper at the heel to push out the rim of the tub.. Despite this, the first couple times I rode them on the trainer it felt like they were eating into my heel at the top of the tub. I had to wear heavier socks with padding in the heels to make them bearable. After a few rides where I got them soaked with sweat, they stopped giving me pain. Now I can ride them with normal socks, and no pain. The upside is that my foot is locked down to the pedal like never before, though I still feel there is a some free space inside the shoe in some places.

All that said, I have only ridden them on the trainer, and only up to 1:50. Don't know how they will work out for road rides, but I was encouraged enough that I ordered a pair of Vapors, and hope that I can make them work.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Ok, finally given up on my Bont's. I tried molding twice and tried numerous insoles but my feet are just not the correct shape for the bathtub carbon. Mind you using the size wizard it does suggest a custom pair for the width of my feet. However the cost of those is out of my reach.

Really wanted to make them work as they're really nice shoes, really stiff and well made.

Hope this doesn't break the rules (again!) but I've listed them in the for sale section.

kdawg

by kdawg

I've got kind of jacked up square feet and have been thinking about getting some of these for a while. Finally got round to getting some Vaypor's last month but now I'm second guessing the size.

My feet are fairly square - using the method Bont suggest I get about 270mm long and 108mm wide.

That suggests a 10 wide but when I tried them on in the shop my 4th toe was touching the outside of the shoe (that's where I have trouble at the moment even with Sidi Mega - which are really just higher volume than a wider sole). The guy in the shop said I should get the 44.5W which is definitely bigger (duh!) but much longer above my big toe. I've got about 10mm there.

I'm now wondering if I would be better with the 44 and when moulded could push that corner out a little - and I've heard that your foot can move back a bit when the heel is moulded so there would be even more space. The cleat position is fine - I run them slammed at the moment and if anything the holes are further back (which is great) so if my heel is locked down does the length matter?

Anyone got any insight? I woke up the other night thinking about it! I'd love to start using them but obviously at the moment haven't even put cleats on.

Here's a picture if that helps - the space above the insole is about the same when the shoes are on.

I'm left handed, if that matters.

LouisN

by LouisN

I would personnally go 43 or 43.5 wide with these feet. Depending on the longest-shortest (L-R).

Otherwise your feet will move fore/aft when pedalling and you'll end up with bruises, hating your shoes.

Louis :)

kdawg

by kdawg

That's what I'm worried about. Strangely they don't make a 43.5 - I would gave thought 9/10 would be a common size but it's maybe just a transition to keep their mm scale consistent.

Sounds like the 44 would be a good idea.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

DMF

by DMF

So, tried some Bonts today, they were 43 but I need 42,5 which the shop didn't have. Forgot to check if the 43s were Wide or Standard so gonna call back about that tomorrow...

Besides being a little big, the contour shape was very much to me liking.

So questions, will the molding generally draw the shoes closer to the foot, thinking mainly about the midfoot here. Or will it just loosen them up more? I think I might be right between a wide and a standard, as I have pretty wide feet and the 43s midfoot was very roomy (still to confirm tomorrow if that was a wide or a standard).

I may have to order them online, the retail at that lbs was just a ridiculous mark up (€400+!!!)

I have a 105mm wide foot measuring the Bont way, the Wide starts at 105mm for a 42,5. I also have a 260mm long foot by the foot-to-wall measure, I'm guessing others with that number choose the 42,5 over the 42 too, or??

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

One of my little toes (2nd or 3rd?) also bumped into the end of the toe box until I heat formed them and pushed out that area with the rounded back-end of a screwdriver. I feel it from time to time still, but I corrected it well enough that it hasn't been a bother. All in all, I think their toe box is goofy ... lots of height and room for a long big toe, but kinda cramped for the other guys. Just my $.02

pastronef

by pastronef

just ordered the A-three, 134 dollars, shipping included

http://shop.bontcycling.com/collections ... -version-1

pastronef

by pastronef

my A-three arrived today.

I just tried them and my middle finger touches too much, and it hurts. I bought size 44 (10) but I'll need at least a 44,50 (10,5)

I guess I won't try to mold them to see if they get better. I feel them too short to just modify them with heat molding

Any of you missed the right size even with Bont size scheme?

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arbitrage

by arbitrage

I managed to make more room for my middle toes by compressing the toe box vertically. As in pushing down right on the edge of the rubber bumper to make the area less tall but longer.

The issue was length, not height, so it ended up working. I got nowhere trying to punch the toe box out in a forward direction because the sole is just too stiff, even when heated.

I hope that makes sense!