Epic S-Works WC

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

GustavoSouza

by GustavoSouza

Can you tune the remote cables for the shocks as you would the gear cables?

I dont really know but I dont think so.

Can you also run the rear brake hose under the top tube, through the shock mount and along the top of the NDS seat stay? Just a thought to allow it to be shorter and perhaps avoid the large loop there currently is by the caliper.

That could be possible but the original way looks better and is the correct way to go with the cables also.

Any possibility of Ti frame/ shock bolts?

Thats a good point, I need to check the bolts lenght and width to see if I could find the same ones in Ti version.

Can you lose some weight with a new rear bolt thru?

Wich one is this bolt?

Maybe less sealant in the wheels too? Although it'd be a minimal weight loss (presumably that large(ish) amount of sealant is required for the 29er tyres).

Since is a tubular tire I prefer more sealant than my regular clincher tires.

Really love those rims! Would be good to know how they ride and if they live up to the hype (and price tag!)

The rims are awesome, perfect for XCO and short races, they feel very fast, excellent for corners, definitly as good as expected, the price tag is 769 euros, the complete wheelset with the tune prince, princess is about 2300 euros and weight 1100g without the stickers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

we want more pictures!!!!

konky

by konky

Sensational bike.

Out of interest how does 2205g compare to the lightest FS frames out there. Say compared to the lightest FS cannondale. Is there much in it? Does anyone know?

DanW

by DanW

My Scalpel 26 (large) is 1620g with shock, BB and headset so around 1520g frame and shock.

Scalpel 29 is just under 2100g I believe so the Epic isn't too heavy as far as 29er full sus frames go.

BikeArmsRace

by BikeArmsRace

It's not really a shock, but when I was out at the Specialized Dealer Mtg in Cooper Mtn this summer, I happen to speak to one of the Engineers at Specialized. Turns out, many of their top of the line S-Works bikes are black (or have little paint) for a reason...weight for it...weight for it...that's right...for weight.

Painting a bike frame adds weight...specifically white in particular (the heaviest, because they have to pile on the most paint), can add 150g to the frame itself.

Many of the S-Works frames that are Matte Black or simply have a stripe on it...they are simply just a stripe and clearcoat to keep the frame weights at the lowest possible.
Specialized BG Fit Technician
2012 Specialized S Works Venge Project Black Dura Ace 9000 - 14.875 lbs.
2012 Spooky HavocStaff SRAM Red - 15.5 lbs.
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Pro Race Ultegra 6800 - 16 lbs.
2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 - 24.5 lbs.

devinci

by devinci

yep true, search for my rocky mountain vertex 26in sanding project, you can see the weight getting down as I was sanding the frame. It was white.

GustavoSouza

by GustavoSouza

Painting a bike frame adds weight...specifically white in particular (the heaviest, because they have to pile on the most paint), can add 150g to the frame itself.

Here is something interesting about that, I have a stumpjumper s-works 2012 black/gold color wich the frame weighted 1120g and most of the frame is matte black with only a few parts in gold.

I know a guy who has the exact same frame, but color white, the XX1 stumpjumper s-works 2013 model, they came white last year with red stripes, his frame weighted about 40g more.

So in part that is true but not 150g more for the matte black, I would say about 50g more.

devinci

by devinci

must depend on frames. I know my vertex had many, many layer of white paint.

here is a link viewtopic.php?f=10&t=98089&hilit=vertex

manne

by manne

It needs Dugast's! :)

GustavoSouza

by GustavoSouza

devinci wrote:must depend on frames. I know my vertex had many, many layer of white paint.

here is a link viewtopic.php?f=10&t=98089&hilit=vertex

For other brands could be but for specialized s-works models I would say about 40 to 50g

BikeArmsRace

by BikeArmsRace

Specialized had a S-Works Epic WC 29 at the Copper Mtn show in a large, on a scale at sub 20 lbs with no pedals in stock form. Pretty impressive...but then again, it is a $10,000 bike.
Specialized BG Fit Technician
2012 Specialized S Works Venge Project Black Dura Ace 9000 - 14.875 lbs.
2012 Spooky HavocStaff SRAM Red - 15.5 lbs.
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Pro Race Ultegra 6800 - 16 lbs.
2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 - 24.5 lbs.

GustavoSouza

by GustavoSouza

BikeArmsRace wrote:Specialized had a S-Works Epic WC 29 at the Copper Mtn show in a large, on a scale at sub 20 lbs with no pedals in stock form. Pretty impressive...but then again, it is a $10,000 bike.

Kulhavy posted that pic on his FB also, the thing is that everyone who is getting the full bike in stock form from specialized the weight is around 20.7 to 21lbs without pedals so its a little controversy that weight from spz, here is a topic where you can check for new epics s-works WC models weight from regular customers

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/2014 ... 84454.html

Jrock831

by Jrock831

WOW!!! This bike is virtually flawless. ..
2004 trek carbon 9.8
2013 giant talon 29er
2001 mongoose XR-500

Bottleboy

by Bottleboy

Epic build!

More pic's please :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GustavoSouza