Best Budget Ti Skewers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KH1

by KH1

I bought a couple of sets of Token skewers - not super cheap at $45 each but very well made and feel pretty solid for a 43g piece of hardware.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kyttyra

by kyttyra

Hi. I got a 135 mm J & L Ti hex key skewer to my Hope Fatsno hub, and I'm wondering what is the maximum tightening torque of that. I lubricated the threads and used a 5 nm Torqkey to tighten it. I wonder whether it's tight enough, a I do not want to overtighten it as I fear that it may twist & snap.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Planet X!

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSP ... bon_levers

Got a pair of these weighing in at 42 grams, 40 without the springs! Very good weight/cost ratio from standard skewers!

glepore

by glepore

DWatkinsBSB wrote:Planet X!

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSP ... bon_levers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got a pair of these weighing in at 42 grams, 40 without the springs! Very good weight/cost ratio from standard skewers!

wow, at 29 bucks to boot...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

deltree

by deltree

Weird, I have those Token ones too, but the shafts on mine are fluted. 39g overall weight for both.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Have these sames ones, just weight them, 44g.

But I don't like them. The length of the skewer is about 5mm too short, I mean, when they are tight, just right, they skewer makes it almost all the way through to the nut end.

The other thing I don't like, there is not a good camber/tighten effect. You just close them, and the way they are designed, they seem like they will open back up with some good bumps etc. I like the larger lever designs that has a camber seating for the lever to turn/sit in when tight...no chance of opening back up.

The back one seems to not hold that tight and make creaking noises.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

To update my above thread. Decided to try these carbon lever titanium shaft ones I found off eBay.

Claimed 52.3g for the pair. Mine came in less.

Only thing I don't like is how far the front lever kind of sits off the side of the fork compared to my low profile Token ones like above posted.

Otherwise, they seem to do the job and hold well.

Will likely sand off those silly logos/names and hit it with some flat/matte clear coat.

barsook77

by barsook77

Do you really want to go lightweight doing 60mph down the mountain?

Go for DT Swiss RWS Ti Road Skewers. They beef up the rear triangle and are rock solid.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

^I guess if you want to spend $175 on some skewers....then cool option.

Never had a wheel come loose...ever.

CBJ

by CBJ

Fair question are there difference in their ability to hold onto the wheel and not come loose? I have so far stuck with my boat anchor DA QR out of fear of wheel coming loose? I would love to see some more facts about it than people just claiming they are right?

(Not just asking the original poster)

jlaitinen

by jlaitinen

Anyone have expriences with the Swisscomp Ti QR skewers (link)? They weigh 42-44g for the pair and they are pretty cheap (~40 euros).

tinozee

by tinozee

Fyi - Don't assume that ti = strong, and that cheap Ti is the best answer.

I don't know about budget skewers, but I have tried a ton of them in general. My current favorite is the internal cam Tune AC-14. The DT ti RWs are also great. The Zipp ti works well if not a little weak force. The standard black Zipp is solid, but I have had one come unscrewed on the lever side!

The worst are Ritchey Ti skewers, I popped two of these within a month with medium force. DA are always the most badass to lock it down. Fulcrum and Campy are very solid as well.

No idea about all of the boutique and other offerings from kcnc, ebay, china, etc.

bomber

by bomber

deltree wrote:Weird, I have those Token ones too, but the shafts on mine are fluted. 39g overall weight for both.

Mine are the same. Been rock solid for two years now of daily use so have been very happy with them.
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

barsook77

by barsook77

Coming loose is not the problem. Breaking at connection and stress points is. It is probably one of the worst places to save some cash and remove weight on the bike, besides your control surface.

Ekorre

by Ekorre

+1 for the token skewers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com