Shaving of legs

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Speaking seriously here, I do shave my arms and legs. I shave legs because (1) I hate picking crap out of the hair when I ride; (2) sunscreen is MUCH easier to apply and (3) They look better. I ride, but I also hit the weights, so my arms have more definition that some others. That may be the reason why I don't drop weight as fast as some other people, but I'm also looking at the all-around look.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

We shave legs because everyone else does and everybody before them did.

Rick

by Rick

The massage and road rash arguments are plausible; but not "compelling".
We all know that the real reason is just looks.
I never realized how much better shaved legs look until I saw another rider who obviously didn't shave his legs in a bunch ride. It looked like a french poodle on a bicycle.
Shaved, tanned, legs look so much more muscularly defined and intimidating to the competition. :thumbup:

arcatern

by arcatern

I'm not allowed to shave my legs until I win my first race, says the missus. I laughed, and agreed.

DMF

by DMF

The fact of the matter is, others are entitled to judge your legs for being hairy, but if you are even able to judge theirs, it only means you are not currently at the front of the pack... Could it be, in a sick twist, that hairy legs are for winners only?

*Keeping this thread utterly pointless*

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I like nothing better when my non shaved leggedness kills it in a race or group ride. Then again I'm not that hairy and am brown skinned. If I were white with poodle hair legs I might change my tune.
carbonLORD.com

euan

by euan

If you are worrying about whether your or some others guy's legs are shaved or not, you've got too much time on your hand

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

btompkins0112 wrote:I shave for two reasons:
2. When you wreck the road rash doesn't hurt as bad
dogg wrote:I've always assumed it was to ... and to make cleaning up road rash and cuts a bit easier
Seriously, unless you crash a lot, don't you get more rash and cuts from the act of shaving than you would save from crashing?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Ok, ok.......it's for looks :wink:

mattr

by mattr

HammerTime2 wrote:Seriously, unless you crash a lot, don't you get more rash and cuts from the act of shaving than you would save from crashing?
One crash a year is enough to justify shaving. And no. I get no rash or cuts from shaving, what do you use to shave with?
Also, with shaved legs I've found a fair few of the crashes you do have, end up with no road rash at all, as you just slide down the road. Rather than pulling clumps of hair out.

Also, after muddy training rides or races, (mtb/cross) I can wipe my legs clean in 30 seconds. Just need a plant sprayer and a flannel. Means I don't have to sit in the car for ages with muddy legs.
With hairy legs I have to shower to even start getting it off, not generally an option at most race sites.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Look, if you're afraid you're wasting your time with shaving your legs because you don't crash enough, just flail wildly during crit sprints and descend way quicker than you're really comfortable with on twisty roads. You'll be sure to get plenty of road rash in no time. And then you can brag to all your buddies about how you're lucky that you shave your legs or it'd be way worse. Nothing's sexier than limping for 2 months and bragging about crashing out in a 20 minute amateur race.

mattr

by mattr

Is there any other way to ride a beginners crit? Flailing on the start line, flailing on the corners, flailing in the sprint for 32nd place.

;)

stuka666

by stuka666

I have a light skin color, so, bib shorts with dark hair in white legs are a no go.

And seriously, I need to put suncream, therefore the lack of leg hair is mandatory.

DMF

by DMF

euan wrote:If you are worrying about whether your or some others guy's legs are shaved or not, you've got too much time on your hand

...he said, posting it on an online cycling forum board... I think it's about prioritizing your time, ride-time comes first obviously, but shaving-of-legs-time certainly comes before posting-online-about-how-busy-you-are-time...

:D :beerchug:

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

DMF wrote:The fact of the matter is, others are entitled to judge your legs for being hairy, but if you are even able to judge theirs, it only means you are not currently at the front of the pack... Could it be, in a sick twist, that hairy legs are for winners only?

*Keeping this thread utterly pointless*

Riding at the front of the pack the entire time doesn't mean you're the winner either. For some reason it tends to not work out that way! :smartass:
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com