race wheels, for larger rider

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

manny20

by manny20

At 220lbs, i am slightly limited. I am looking at Cosmic Carbone sls, AMC 420 Aero, and AMC sprint for this upcoming race season. I am a sprinter, and am looking for a solid wheelset. dosnt have to be aero, although it is preferred. any suggestions? Thanks

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Go handbuilts 28 spoke rear or 32 (the higher the better) on a stiff rim like the Kinlin XC-279 or H plus archetype. The stiffer the rim the more reliable a 28 spoke rear will be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'd back the Mavic SLS (or SLR) wheels - even at 220lbs you'd struggle to flex them.

Hand built would also be great, however single or double eyelets would be the way to go. Ambrosio Excellite would be a good choice, 32 spoke. They won't be super light, but ride damn well and certainly built up stiff enough.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I build alot of wheels and have built with the excellight 32 spoke with Sapim Race spokes and miche hubs. While I would not describe the build as flexy I would not call it stiff. A 28H Kinlin XC-279 built with Laser spokes on miche hubs would be significantly stiffer. An H plus son Archetype would also be a good choice. None of these rims have eyelets and they don't need them either.

double eyelets are needed on shallow rims as they tie the two halves of the rim together increasing stiffness. For a 28 spoke count wheel which will be more aerodynamic you will need a deeper stiffer rim. The XC-279 would be my choice. It is wide and semi aero. The Excellight while nice is not wide or anything close to aero.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

OP stated

manny20 wrote:dosnt have to be aero

and given the profile of all rims you've mentioned, the 'aero' differences would be incredibly minimal - as none rank highly in the aero stakes. The above quote notwithstanding.

My suggestion wasn't for the stiffest wheelset. I'd be stiff enough, but at 220lbs still offer longevity and a decent ride quality.

Just my .02

bombertodd

by bombertodd

bm0p700f wrote:Go handbuilts 28 spoke rear or 32 (the higher the better) on a stiff rim like the Kinlin XC-279 or H plus archetype. The stiffer the rim the more reliable a 28 spoke rear will be.

From one clyde to another I recommend bm0p700f's advice. I have a pair of BHS hubs laced to Pacenti SL23 rims 28/32. They are stiff and roll great. I ridden Mavic carbon and these feel better in terms of stiffness and comfort. I would definatly look into wider rims, with 25mm tires (probably what you should be using at your weight) you'll get a much better tire profile that will ride better while cornering.

I hear great things about:
BHS hubs (great price)
WI T11
Tune (light)

Pacenti SL23
Kinlin XC279
H-Plus archtype

If you're set on a prebuilt wheelset check out Flo 30's. A friend of mine is a sprinter type around 200 pounds and hammers them. They are good prebuilt wheels.

Flyfishing3

by Flyfishing3

first off i do not race but...

i'm 240lb and ride the AMC 420 aero's on 25mm GP4kS. I love them. i ride western PA terrible roads with no concerns or issue's.

if looking for prebuilt, i think they are great and the guys i ride with have asked many times about how well the wheels roll out.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Hi,

I'm a bit heavier and can appreciate your quest for a sturdy wheel.

Having thought about it for a while and tried several different sets of wheels, I would recommend something in a deep V as a deep V will be more likely to maintain its roundness when under load (due to triangulation) vs a box section rim. This will help keep all spokes under tension through the loading (top dead center) and unloading (bottom dead center) phase of the wheel's rotation which will help with the fatigue life of the spokes.

Regarding spoke selection (if you are doing a custom build), I've been quite happy with the Sapim CX-Rays from a stiffness and durability standpoint - they've certainly lasted far longer than larger gauge spokes built in a wheel of identical specification. I use DT threadlock to help keep the nipples from moving on the spokes as loosening can lead to complete unloading of the spokes and eventual premature failure).

Hub: I use a WI H3. Good solid hub but there are probably better out there from an flange spacing/sizing standpoint.

All the best,

I

barsook77

by barsook77

Just go for the Campy Shamals. Relatively lighter in weight, bombproof, BALANCED, and roll fast.

Otherwise, if you can spare the budget, go for the Bora Ultra Two 50 or new 35's, Corima Aero+ MCC 50's. Lightweights? Sure. $$$$$$$$

Elrey

by Elrey

i'm 210lbs and i have ridden Zipp 404 FC, Reynolds Assult, Mavic R'sys SLR, Hong-Fu 50mm. carbon and none of them had any flex.
Going for 202 FC this summer, with the confidence that they won't flex either.

kavitator

by kavitator

What about heat at braking on descending?

Archetype H +SON with SWISSTOP purple brake pads
On good hubs (Alchemy, WhiteIndustries, Chris King)
28 spokes rear, 24 front

25mm wide tire

I ride Archetype with 20/24 cx ray spokes on BARTIME hubs - one of the stiffest wheel i had...84kg 192cm rider
Fast acceleration, awsome cornering, and on tires Continental GP4000 there is nice sound when goes out of saddle

here is:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxvVaJ7b1s

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

bombertodd wrote:I hear great things about:
BHS hubs (great price)
WI T11
Tune (light)

Pacenti SL23
Kinlin XC279
H-Plus archtype

This. Any combination of these would be a solid builds. If i had to pick one I'd say that the T11/SL23 combo would be my preference. For the price that's an outstanding build. You could always save a few bucks by lacing them up with DT Revs or Comps.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Flyfishing3 wrote:i'm 240lb and ride the AMC 420 aero's

Surprised to read that. Liked them ok (having under 80kg), easy to spin up, but the rim design is rather dated, and you can do better these days. Would recommend you give the other suggestions a closer look.

wickedwheels

by wickedwheels

manny20 wrote:At 220lbs, i am slightly limited. I am looking at Cosmic Carbone sls, AMC 420 Aero, and AMC sprint for this upcoming race season. I am a sprinter, and am looking for a solid wheelset. dosnt have to be aero, although it is preferred. any suggestions? Thanks

High spoke count Enve custom wheels. The carbon is very strong and if you get the right hub/spoke combo you'll end up with a stiff wheelset adequate for a sprinter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com