Bontrager ANT+ Speed/Cadence Sensor

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Devon

by Devon

Anyone have any experience with this? Is it a viable alternative to the Garmin model? It seems to be cheaper but I can't find much information on it.

I'm specifically interested in how it interacts with the Garmin computer itself (Edge 500 in my case).

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/02/bont ... ensor.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

livio livius

by livio livius

Easy to install and no problem with any Edge 500/510/800/810.

DMF

by DMF

Using the Bontrager ANT+ Cadence only sensor with Edge 500, not one glitch in 10.000+ km, only on its second battery. The Edge seems to find it very quick too at startup.

choplee

by choplee

I used to run one on my edge 510 before i broke it ,so replaced back with a garmin ,as it was the only one they had in the shop ....they both seem to work just as good as each other for me :D

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Dcrainmaker once mentioned that all of these sensors are identical, since they are all made at the same place in China, but with different brand / packaging. The plastic case may be a bit different, but they all work the same. I have a Motorola branded one, and it works fine.

DMF

by DMF

Top tip of the day is to always ditch the cadence sensor magnet for the crank, and place a strong neodymium magnet on the pedal axle (works less well with ti axles...), the magnet doesn't even have to pass anywhere near the cadence sensor.

IMO very nice not having to keep a 2-3mm clearance, I have atlest 15mm clearence as that is where the sensor points straight down under the chain stay.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

It's an ANT+ system, so it will work with no issues.

I had the cadence sensor on my old Madone, which didn't have the pocket for the DuoTrap sensor. I found that the sensor worked just as well, if not better than the Garmin sensor (as opposed to the Node head units - first versions, at least - which were absolute garbage). The battery life was better than the Garmin units for an equal amount of distance travelled.

One of the benefits of the Bontrager system vs. the Garmin is that the crank arm magnet was not attached to the arm, but was part of a rubber band system. I preferred it over the other magnet systems.

Oh, and if you are using a Garmin with GPS, why not just get a cadence sensor, and let the Garmin determine speed based on GPS?

DMF

by DMF

Using the GPS for speed works less than well on a trainer, AFAIK atleast, but never tried it myself. ;)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

GPS won't work on a trainer, because you aren't moving ;)

Herb5998

by Herb5998

I have three of the Bontrager Sensors on my bikes, all very good. Smaller than some of the other sensors out there and easily pairs with Garmin as well as SRM head units.

TimW

by TimW

I use one to measure speed on the turbo trainer, using a Garmin 800. I remove it for outdoor riding. The rubber band fitting is good for this. Works just fine.

I'm using a different magnet on the wheel which is a bit more robust.

Devon

by Devon

I ended up buying this however have issues with the cadence, it just doesn't pick up 98% of the time, even if the crank is touching the unit. I will try DMFs suggestion.

Do you have a link to source one?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

On a side note, does anyone know if using the bontrager duotrap means it will override Garmin's speed calculations by gps? Or will the Garmin unit somehow toggle between the two? I sometimes go through the city centre with tall buildings all around and noticed that the speed display goes crazy...

Devon

by Devon

The magnetic speed is calibrated from the GPS, so I assume the computer combines the two.

Jesper64

by Jesper64

Sorry to dig up an old thread but as this is WW, does anyone have the weight of it compared to a Garmin GSC-10?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com