durable race tire for 29er

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

you guys comments on SB8 are very timely as I just ordered a pair of SB8 dtc sct as well as a pair of Nevegal for upcoming race, which will be muddy.

I will report weights back. Also check out my thread in my signature for the tire upgrade on my 29er, as well as race wheels which came up last week and new pedals!

thanks guys for your comments

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scale29

by scale29

I've tried quite a few, our team had the Ikon 2.2 last year and I too had lots of punctures, I usually use Schwalbe too, I find the 2.1 RaRa to be most like the Ikon but with better rolling resistance and a bit more grip running on crest rims with sealant. I don't find they wear too fast myself.

I use 2.25 Snake Skin Ralph if the going gets rocky, not too much of a weight penalty these days and roll well, they are very robust. I have just however got some of the 2013 Rocket Ron 2.1 tyres from Schwalbe, not tried them yet but tread looks good but they are very light!

devinci

by devinci

thanks for these opinions

I have yet to try my SB8. I have the SCT DTC version, so the sidewalls are quite thick which makes the tire less soft overall. I hope they can handle more then very dry conditions. Not that I intend to use them in mud, but I'd like to keep them even if race course are a bit moist with mud spots. The ikons used to do OK in moist/wet spots, the treads would clog up rapidly.

I have raced last week end's races with Conti race king racesport on a pretty muddy course, actually very muddy. They were OK, but the thin sidewalls already show scratches and signs of wear, after only 3 rides...

edit: the SB8 sealed so easily, you barely put any stans, give it a compressor shot, bingo!

michel2

by michel2

ive been very happy with my wtb nano'sthey roll pretty light and give me enough grip give them a go !

xmathx

by xmathx

I have try the Maxxis Beaver for couple of races , probably one of the best tire I try for the mud but 2 flat in 2 race and the sidewall is really thin.

In rear I have a Specialized Ground Control and really like it , the sidewall is thick and good grip on mud and wet roots.

Any recommandation for a mud/wet front tire ?

Dilberto88

by Dilberto88

Try Ritchey WCS Shield 29x2.1 on a wider rim(19mm+) and the tire outperforms, Race King 2.2, Ikon and Racing Ralph. Mine weighed 574g/F and 583g/R.

Getter

by Getter

Kastrup wrote:What about the Fast Track from Specialized?

Those are the tires I'm going to try next. I have a pair 2.2 of S-Works on the way. Currently using Ground Control 2.1's.

Spesh tires have got to the the easiest to set up tubeless.

Bgoetz

by Bgoetz

Schwalbe tires are well worth the $, and tires are the last place I will try to save a few $. How much $ would have you won had you not punctured? Bet it would have covered the cost of the tires and you would have had the satisfaction of winning. I got some serious deals on my Rocket Ron/Racing Ralph tires from a guy on ebay, Tiremaniac. I run Rocket Ron front/Racing Ralph rear. If traction is a concern I toss a nobby nic on the front.

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Nobby Nics: excellent general purpose trail front tyre with decent damp conditions performance.

However, when installed per the sidewall direction arrow I find them to be unpredictable. Great cornering grip until it doesn't, and then it dumps you on your clavicle with zero warning. Particularly bad for this on loose over hardpack or sand over rock/roots. The reason is the rectangular intermediate and shoulder knobs point narrow end-on into the slide.

Installed in the *reverse* direction, those same knobs present a much broader face into the slide (all tyres slide when cornering) and I find the tyre feels much more planted.

I've been recommending this change to installation the last year or so, and have encountered a few riders on the trail recently who have made the same discovery for themselves. All have commented they definitely improve the predictability of the tyre as a front.

One shop owner went so far as to say that in his opinion Schwalbe made a mistake with the arrow. I don't think so myself, based on how the sipes are cut into the knobs. I think they just havent thought it through. (I notice they seem to have corrected the mistake on the Rocket Ron).

One guy has commented on a slight tramlining effect when negotiating severely off camber technical rocky obstacles but I find this is easily accommodated and the improvement in confidence at race speeds worth that small tradeoff.

On Sydney sandstone trails we find the TLR sidewalls to be somewhat fragile. They're great as a lightweight race tyre but for recreational trail riding the snakeskin or full UST versions live much longer.

I've also found their performance to be quite sensitive to pressures. Theres a narrow band between being skittish (too high) and wallowing (too low). They reward experimentation.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I've had really good experiences running the Vredestein black panther up front with a Spotted cat in the rear here in the desert. Not a flat yet and we have trails that are certainly prone to flatting.

texmex

by texmex

Kenda Small Block 8: they are good until there is loose stuff or in wet grass, then they are like slicks. I`ve also owned most of the specialized tires with very mixed results.

I would say Schwalbe Racing Ralphs are the best out there for all round racing in terms of weight and rolling resistance. I wouldn`t save the $ difference to other tires.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

+1 on Racing Ralph's.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

devinci

by devinci

after having put out some good km's on maxxis Ikons 2.2, I must say they do rock a lot. They are durable, big and they grip well. My only complain is any time I have punctured them, it was in the tread area.

Great tires and I will be racing them again next season

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Were they 29er Ikons? Several of us around here have found the Ikon 2.2 on rims 23mm inner width and over to lose traction when leaned way over. The knobs do not go down the sides far enough. The 26er guys are not having this problem. I moved my Ikons to the rear and use Racing Ralph's on the front. This setup works well because as I approach the limit, the Ikons start to slide in the rear squaring off the turn. I like to say my Racing Ralph's write checks that my Ikon's can't cash. That said, I will be replacing the Ikon's with RR's when they wear out.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

devinci

by devinci

29er ikon yeah. It's true im not as confidant with them in corners as with other tires. For example, I found my SB8 can grip quite a bit when leaned over in corners. But the Ikons do make a great race tire, they are light, durable and grippy enough. I won't take too many risks in corners in races.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com