www.starbike.com

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Cantilever, right?

Please so post some pictures.

vcnz

by vcnz

yes cantilever :thumbup:

6.6 kg with this wheelset and 6.2 kg with low profile carbon wheels. The only thing I do not like are the CB pedals and will probably go for the Look S-track or Time

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

:shock: The Bars?? How can you ever ride the drops like that?

Relevant question.. What is the chainring? Is that an absolute black wide/narrow? What is the tooth count and have you dropped a chain?

vcnz

by vcnz

JN2Wheels, what do you think is wrong with the bar setting ? :-(

Yes, it's an absolute black 42T. I haven't tested the bike yet on a cx field but I'm not able to take the chain out if I try to pull it, so it's pretty hard to believe that the chain can fall at some point, I've heard it can in deep mud. We will see

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

You can use a Sram X9 or X0 short cage type 2 RD for even more chain retention.

JBV

by JBV

vcnz wrote:JN2Wheels, what do you think is wrong with the bar setting ? :-(

By running the levers so low on the bars, and then angling the bars so far up (in order to get a somewhat reasonable hood angle), you've got very little handlebar material below the hoods to use. It's probably fine for an occasional sprint, but if you like to ride technical sections in the drops you're asking to slip off.

As an aside, I think your hoods look on the low side for 'cross, but as long as you can get a straight wrist angle.

I'm not a fan of this relatively new trend of running levers super low on bars, I still think the lowest they should ever be is with the tip of the lever above a straight edge extended from the lowest section of the drop.

JBV

by JBV

vcnz wrote:The only thing I do not like are the CB pedals and will probably go for the Look S-track or Time

What don't you like about the pedals? Do you find them hard to clip in? CB are very sensitive to how high the lugs on the sole of your shoe are, relative to the cleat. Often it's just a matter of using the "shields" or the brass shims under the cleat to get them dialed in. You can also grind/trim the rubber lugs next to the cleat, but the shields also protect the sole of your shoe in a couple ways.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

vcnz wrote:JN2Wheels, what do you think is wrong with the bar setting ? :-(

What JBV said. That is not how bars are designed to be angled. The lowest part of the drops usually ends up parallel or slightly angled up relative to the ground. For CX, hoods are usually placed higher than level, resulting in the bar top being level into a slightly upward angled hood. That is the sweet zone for driving the bike. Flat hoods (especially old SRAM) will have you sliding off. Your setup has a crazy bar top hump right before the level hoods, leaving no drops to ride. To each his own, but I could never in a million years ride those.

Thanks for the chainring info. Ping this thread if you ever drop a chain! I'm gonna get a wide/narrow, and need some more reassurance before I leave off the jump stop and outer guard.

Frans

by Frans

I was hoping it was the new frame but I need not have worried, it's gorgeous!

Interesting build, you'll certainly never have dry cables. You might want to trim the excess to the rear derailleur, a shorter run could save you a bit of friction.

Lastly, your levers are in a good position - so picture them staying where they are but the bars themselves pivoting down so the drops are angled up just a little bit.

Post some more pix when you're done.

toride

by toride

I love it, the colour scheme on this frame is ace, I nearly purchased this model but missed out.
seeing this and at that weight I wish I'd got one.

That seat is it you have mounted btw ?

Frans

by Frans

Hey VCNZ it's nice to see you switched bars and rotated them around a bit.

How does it ride now?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Can you give us a full spec listing? That's a load of RD cable btw

LocoDuck

by LocoDuck

The bike looks ace and good job on the weight front too! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrcarbonfibre