S Works Quarq Issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have a new speedzone s works quarq spider. The new omnical version. I am the first owner. It worked for about a month and then suddenly stopped connecting to the garmin, or any garmin. Hard reset done, battery changed. Attempted to update firmware with Qalvin with no success. So now it is with specialized, in australia. They are currently refusing to honour the warranty as i don't have a proof of purchase. It was won at a tradeshow by an uncle of mine who is US-based. I have emailed Quarq directly who have said it should be covered by warranty (calibration date on insturction booklet July 2013) but the distributor for this particular model is Specialized themselves, who are not so helpful.

Anyone had any similar issues with Specialized Quarqs? Solutions? Ideas? All much appreciated.

Cheers
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinozee

by tinozee

I have a sram quarq and had a weird issue with the battery going weak, replacing it, and then the signal dropped after a few more days. I had to play with inserting a new battery a few times. I wiped off the surfaces inside with a clean cloth, but everything looked clean already. I tried adding a bit of paper behind the battery to give some more force on the battery and that seemed to get the led to flash again. It synced with the Garmin after that. I took that paper out and left just the battery and it seems to be working fine again.

Not sure if that helps or if you've fiddled to death with the battery already. Good luck.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Yeah I tried all the battery replacing, hard reset, clean out battery case, bend contacts things without success. The LED will only come on when a battery is installed and then will continuously slowly blink for about 5 minutes, back pedals will not start the LED then but reinstalling the same battery will start it up again.

I have forwarded the Quarq email to Specialized Australia. The Quarq dealers in Australia, Echelon, were very helpful and were going to just swap the unit straight over when I called them on the phone, but unfortunately do not deal the S- Works model anymore and had none remaining in stock. It is Specialized themselves that are being obstructive, Quarq has been great.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aerozy

by aerozy

This sounds like a typical quarq failure. I have had what seems to be a similar issue with the garmin only only picking up a signal once the battery was removed/inserted which only then lasts for a few minutes. I sent the faulty powermeter to quarq through my local distributor and had a new one sent over to me, then the exact thing happened with the new one after a few weeks. In the end quarq upgraded me to a riken (I had a s975) for my troubles.

Customer service was great but everything was done through the distributor by quarq's insistence.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I've dealt with Quarq directly on a few occasions. Recently just 2 months ago when my Quarq would chew through batteries every 2 weeks while only actually being used maybe 4 times during that period.

After resetting, new batteries etc...Quarq sent me a shipping label, I sent it back, they swapped my cranks with a new spider/Riken, calibrated/tested it and shipped it back no charge.

I would contact Quarq directly and tell them this is getting silly. Doesn't matter, it is Quarq's PM, not Specialized.

Quarq usually is pretty much a no questions asked kind of company, not sure why you can't just ship it back to them to diagnose and repair if possible.

Good luck.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Yeah Quarq themselves have been helpful, as has Echelon who imports most Quarq units. Monza who imports the specialized quarq referred me to specialized Australia who have been, to be blunt, shit. This is the last correspondence from Specialized.

Hi Andrew,

I am sorry but Specialized cannot help you without having a valid proof of purchase, If Quarq is happy for your spider to be replaced they will need to get Monza imports ( the quark distributor in Australia) to replace it for you.

Thank you

Aaron Stamford
Customer Service Manager
SPECIALIZED BICYCLE COMPONENTS
Phone: (03) 8679 3200 Ext: 3217
Fax: (03) 86793299

I have emailed this to quarq directly and will see what they do. Meanwhile specialized still has my drive side crankarm + spider so I can't use the bike. Not ideal.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Excellent service from Quarq.

"Hey Andrew,
That is kind of a tough one. Monza definitely will not repair it as it was not purchased through a dealer. I will try to contact Specialized Australia on your behalf but at worst case, it may need to come back to the States.
Cheers,
Rob Bee"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I just sent my Red Quarq back in for servicing for similar issues.

It worked fine for about the first six months, then in October it stopped sending power to my Garmin. Cadence, however, came through fine. I contacted Quarq and did the reset with the battery, replaced the batter, updated the Garmin firmware and even did a hard reset of my Garmin, but nothing worked. I sent it in to Quarq, who said there was some issue with the battery connection. They sent it back fixed. Everything worked fine for a couple of weeks, then I started getting the same power drops. Cadence would come through though.

And then a couple days before Christmas, I got the power to come back, but I was getting major power drift. I started out doing about 100 watts, then it was 150, then 200...250...300... 350... Pretty soon, I was putting out more than 600 watts without breaking a sweat. I did a battery reset, and power went back to a normal range, but soon started climbing again.

I shipped it back to Quarq earlier this week and am just waiting to get it back. I hope it is fixed for good this time.