Baddest bike of 2013?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Hmm. My 2013 S-Works Venge has a 2013 S-Works Crank on there which has no cups or wave washer and I swap between them and the Ciamillo BB30 cranks freely. Not sure about generations past but my current frame suggests the once open, developing BB30 platform and the OSBB are the same now. My frame did come with adapter cups but they were for use with a (GXP style?) spindle IIRC.

Oh, and I have the baddest bike(s) of 2013.... to stay on topic ;)
carbonLORD.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Elrey

by Elrey

Could be nice if you postet some pictures along with your answers.

jooo

by jooo

gitsome wrote:Why all the fascination with Rolo here? I don't know much about them can someone explain why you think they're so special? From the links provided and a brief google it seems they have the same marketing hype as all the rest of the manufacturers and say all the same things, so whats so extra-special? I don't think the frames look particularly nice at all, that head tube/top tube junction is downright hideous. What makes them so special??

You realise they have cold hard data to back up their claims, unlike many other manufacturers?

Posix1b

by Posix1b

Granted the Rolo is high tech, it's the Huayra or 918 of bicycles, but for all practical reasons, it's too-max if there is such a thing! It will remain marginal because of its price. Unlike those cars where you could intensely feel a huge difference, at the end of the end of the day, it is just another carbon bike, and it's hugely influenced by what wheels are put on it. I have the same problem with Vis Vires.

My pick would be AX Vial Evo and Cervelo R5.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Posix1b wrote:Granted the Rolo is high tech, it's the Huayra or 918 of bicycles, but for all practical reasons, it's too-max if there is such a thing!

Isn't that the point of nominating it for the baddest bike? The R5 definitely wouldn't be winning that award IMO.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

vlastrada

by vlastrada

...my 2013 "best" but uncompetitively priced would include the following:

Cipollini RB800, (esp. in matte black)
http://yorite.tumblr.com/post/42063271404/cipo-rb800

LW Urgestalt, love the shape of the tubes

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/186899453259655742/

while my real world favourite is probably the new Addict SL...I just wish the paintjob hadn't been conceived by a 14 yr old

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/article/scott-launch-lighter-addict-and-new-solace-road-bikes-37751/5/

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Oooh, good thread. From a design pov, the Bolide was the most unique looking bike I personally can think of. That said, from an engineering pov, I like the RCA (especially since I'm still waiting to build mine :)

GT56

by GT56

HammerTime2 wrote:prendrefeu, while it may not be an issue for you personally, your glowing praise of BB386 does not mention the impact of reduced heel clearance, or if cleat or pedal spindle length are adjusted to maintain heel clearance, increased Q-factor.

you'll run out of heel clearance at the chainstays 'long' before you would at the crank spindle

gitsome

by gitsome

jooo wrote:
gitsome wrote:Why all the fascination with Rolo here? I don't know much about them can someone explain why you think they're so special? From the links provided and a brief google it seems they have the same marketing hype as all the rest of the manufacturers and say all the same things, so whats so extra-special? I don't think the frames look particularly nice at all, that head tube/top tube junction is downright hideous. What makes them so special??

You realise they have cold hard data to back up their claims, unlike many other manufacturers?

OH GOD, seriously?? Like every bike manufacturer doesn't have "cold hard data" of their own too???? Are you serious?? Their "extra-special proprietary space-age, futuristic layups and carbon" aren't as "extra-special and space-age" as everyone else's?? I see the marketing budget has worked wonders.... :roll: The only info I took from Rolo was a somewhat verbose decryption of basic carbon-fiber monocoque building concepts with little to no distinguishing information (and 2 spelling errors) and a graph with claims that their carbon is better than everyone else's which is anyone's opinion and debatable to say the least. Sounds like anything and everything everyone else says.

Im not saying they're worse or lying I'm just asking what distinguishes them as best of 2013? 100 grams less weight? Better copy-writers in the marketing dept? Thats about all I can see...
Last edited by gitsome on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

best bike of 2013 is the cannondale caad10

Krull

by Krull

most of the current light-frames, including the scott, look all similar. they seem to be manufactured according to the same rules.
and 100 or 200 gramm more or less? unappealing, not to say boring, makes no difference in use, as we all know.
accordingly, i like the swift ultrafox, bmc teammachine or a classic bike like sarto rr 02, because they appear to me as frames away from the mainstream.

jooo

by jooo

gitsome wrote:
jooo wrote:

OH GOD, seriously?? Like every bike manufacturer doesn't have "cold hard data" of their own too???? Are you serious?? Their "extra-special proprietary space-age, futuristic layups and carbon" aren't as "extra-special and space-age" as everyone else's?? I see the marketing budget has worked wonders.... :roll: The only info I took from Rolo was a somewhat verbose decryption of basic carbon-fiber monocoque building concepts with little to no distinguishing information (and 2 spelling errors) and a graph with claims that their carbon is better than everyone else's which is anyone's opinion and debatable to say the least. Sounds like anything and everything everyone else says.

Im not saying they're worse or lying I'm just asking what distinguishes them as best of 2013? 100 grams less weight? Better copy-writers in the marketing dept? Thats about all I can see...

Wow, you sound aggravated, not sure why when you've said it yourself, you don't know much about them? There are plenty of informative posts on this very forum.

Posix1b

by Posix1b

I think @Krull has a point. How much better can Rolo be than Vial Evo, R5, Addict SL, Canyon, etc.. Is it really double better? I don't even know what that means ;) Even the RCA is an experiment in marketing and obscure/upcoming materials that will become mainstream in few years.

Personally, I'm learning about marketing right now. The Choice of words, graphics, positioning can make certain objects more desirable by pricing them 2x or higher than the competition, nonetheless I understand they need to pay salaries and make money at the european standard of living! Good for them, I hope they sell many and prosper.

jooo

by jooo

IMO it's not about their marketing. It's about quantifiable data eg: a Zedler test. Real weights, not normalised fluff that other manufacturers use. That's why they currently appear to lead the pack.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

...in all bar real-world attainability (with regards to price).

For mine (and yes, I have a bias toward alloy bikes) but the *dons flame-proof suit* S-Works Allez was sensational. At a weight that puts a lot of carbon fibre bikes to shame, the handling of the Tarmac at a price that is infinitely more affordable than a lot of suggestions* it was certainly the 'baddest' bike I rode for 2013. Others were close (I'm in the fortunate position to be able to ride more than a few) but the Allez still gets its wheel across the line first.

Yay aluminium!

*I have nothing against liking expensive bikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com