Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDoc

by TheDoc

@Stcact I dealt with Jenny mostly over emails and a few online chats. Pretty straight forward transaction.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I've always dealt with Vivian at HongFu as an FYI. Always responsive and no communication issues.

Vivian Zhang: sales06@hongfu-bikes.cn

sspring

by sspring

Nice tubular wheels. I might go tubular on my next set, never had a set of tubes. Tubeless is really nice though, so maybe stick with that. Have yet to flat on tubeless.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I punctured my front tubeless tire on Sunday. Sealant closed it up and I kept riding!

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

HongFu 56mm tubulars arrived today. About 1 week over the Holidays from China to Florida..not bad at all.

Claimed Weight: AR56-T :420g+_17g

20H: 417g
24H: 422g

Not too shabby. These should build up to around 1320g with Tune Mag 170/Mig 70 hubs with CXRay.

Finish/Condition looks on par with the 40c I have from them.

sspring

by sspring

FIJIGabe wrote:I punctured my front tubeless tire on Sunday. Sealant closed it up and I kept riding!

that is pretty cool. i heard the dreaded whisp of air out on a ride once but the sealant did the job without me being any wiser

tubeless is nice, but everyone raves about tubular so maybe i try it. i am a believer of trying new things

teleguy57

by teleguy57

While it won't be a true A/B comparison since it's clinchers to tubulars, I am very interested in your thoughts on how the 40mm compares to the 56. Trying to decide between the two for my next set of tubulars. Seems like the HongFus are good quality; sure wish they made a 45-46mm tubular -- or I could fine a newer profile 45-46 from another reputable mfg/distributor.

Zigmeister wrote:HongFu 56mm tubulars arrived today. About 1 week over the Holidays from China to Florida..not bad at all.

Claimed Weight: AR56-T :420g+_17g

20H: 417g
24H: 422g

Not too shabby. These should build up to around 1320g with Tune Mag 170/Mig 70 hubs with CXRay.

Finish/Condition looks on par with the 40c I have from them.

stcact

by stcact

Zig, do you know what the ERD is on those 56ers. You using 14 or 15mm nipples? They are getting so close on the weights these days, very impressive.

LittleBill

by LittleBill

I think that the Light Bicycle rims mentioned earlier in this thread appear pretty nice besides a little QC on the paint. After deliberating between the Hong Fu clinchers and them, I went with them due to the significant weight difference. I am a long time haunt of WW, and but infrequent poster - I am not affiliated with either outfit, and will post a review once the wheels get here. I placed the order yesterday with Carolin (12-31-13) and will add to this handy thread when they arrive.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

stcact wrote:Zig, do you know what the ERD is on those 56ers. You using 14 or 15mm nipples? They are getting so close on the weights these days, very impressive.

No idea. I have someone build them up for me.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have started to use baradine pads on my carbon rims. Cheap and very good. Shame it is raining here so I have to ride sensible wheels.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I have a set of the Light-Bicycle 45mm (303 clone) clinchers which have been good thus far for cross and winter riding use. Nancy has stated that they will be producing these in a tubular starting in Feburary which is good news. Just wanted to share if anyone is considering a tubular build soon.

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

petepeterson wrote:I have a set of the Light-Bicycle 45mm (303 clone) clinchers which have been good thus far for cross and winter riding use. Nancy has stated that they will be producing these in a tubular starting in Feburary which is good news. Just wanted to share if anyone is considering a tubular build soon.

Race season's coming up (Early March here in Vancouver, Canada) and I'm looking to get a new set of tubulars, perhaps from light-bicycle, ideally in 50–60mm, but this 45mm you mention is tempting. As far as I know I haven't seen anything in the wide-style 303-clone style (hybrid torodial equiv.) in a deeper wheel, so perhaps I'll wait another month. Might start a new thread specifically for others looking at that depth and profile.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

In the style of user prendrefeu, I'd like a dedicated deep dish Chinese (or Taiwan) tubular wide profile wheel thread. Lots of carbon clincher info on here, and huge discussions re: complications inherent in that (brake heat, tire beds, etc.), so something streamlined may help those of us just looking for tubs.

Myself? Fairly practical 34-year-old Cat 1 road racer on a budget interested in a dedicated set of all-around race wheels (and only for racing—road, TTs, crits), in something from 45–60mm (give or take). Ideally in a "newer" profile (aka toroidal, hybrid-toroidal, faux-toroidal, U-shape, cool-kid profile). Lots of info on 35mm versions, and rumours of new deeper sets coming out this year (early 2014).

So where should we hunt?
Which vendors have the latest tech? The most proven rep?
And who's found something to these specs?

My wishlist:
Weight: 1400–1600g (nothing too fragile)
Rims: 45mm at least, ideally 60mm
Spokes: whatevs?
Hubs: ED Hubs, ceramic bearings, or maybe Novatec equiv.
Drilling: 20h front, 24h rear
Finish: UD matte finish (but whatevs)

Rider Weight at time of wishlist: ~150lbs (US) or 68kg (World)
Tires: Corsa Evo CX or whatevs
Tubes: N/A
Brakes: Ultegra, but whatevs
Pads: Carbon style (suggestions?)
Skewers: whatevs, but nothing wimpy.
PSI: Typically 95–100 front and rear.

p.s. Raced tubulars for years, most recently Zipp 808s, and other carbon wheels (Roval carbon clinchers, 404 tubs, Mavic Carbones). Interested in open mold primarily out of recent budget concerns, but also curiosity as to the state of that industry.
p.p.s. Long time lurker, first time poster. Apologies if this is a dupe thread; will delete if there's a stronger thread already on here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

teleguy57

by teleguy57

wynkendeword wrote:
petepeterson wrote:I have a set of the Light-Bicycle 45mm (303 clone) clinchers which have been good thus far for cross and winter riding use. Nancy has stated that they will be producing these in a tubular starting in Feburary which is good news. Just wanted to share if anyone is considering a tubular build soon.

Race season's coming up (Early March here in Vancouver, Canada) and I'm looking to get a new set of tubulars, perhaps from light-bicycle, ideally in 50–60mm, but this 45mm you mention is tempting. As far as I know I haven't seen anything in the wide-style 303-clone style (hybrid torodial equiv.) in a deeper wheel, so perhaps I'll wait another month. Might start a new thread specifically for others looking at that depth and profile.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm interested in the L-B 45mm tubular too. Also considering the HongFu 56mm tubular but I'm thinking I'd like the 303ish height better. (Also think the 45 is more of what I'm seeking than the 40mm tubular.). If you think the 45 isn't deep enough for you perhaps the 56 would work for you.

Edit: not seeing the 56t on the HongFu site now, but they had it earlier; I was emailing with Nancy about it.