21 Gram Pump

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

DMF

by DMF

If that tiny thing can reach 150psi I'll eat my entire bike for breakfast. Very much doubt it would ever even get close to 80psi... And even that would be more than a 100 strokes. At one or another point, it just boiles down to the laws and limitations of physics...
Last edited by DMF on Fri May 16, 2014 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

If they had claimed 100psi, I would have given them the benefit of doubt. But claiming 150psi is just rediculous. There is no way that little thing can reach 150psi.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I'm also calling bullshit on the claim.
I tried out the Airbone Supernova pump. It too claimed high PSI, and only weighs 59g, and it's damn small.
The highest I could ever get it was 70 PSI. That was after more than 500 pump strokes. They have a video which "shows" the pump getting up to 120psi... which most likely is a video where the tyre was pumped with a floor pump, then switched over to the Airbone for display purposes.

Ah, the power of video editing.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

alexalecu

by alexalecu

It is quite possible to reach 150 psi with the iPump; the fork/shock pumps are very small and can reach twice that pressure - http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/PocketShockDXG. The question is how many thousand strokes you need in order to get to 150 psi.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

My Lezyne Road Drive has served me well over almost the fours years since I got it. It weighs 92g, takes less than 200 pumps to get ~100psi (about 2-3 minutes), screw on or slip mode protects valve damage, fits in back pocket, < $50usd, and pays for itself after the first couple flats. At one point I was considering a frame pump because of how much easier and faster it is to get up to pressure, but I might just save that idea for when I get vintage steel frame or something. My personal optimal tire pressure is between 100-110 psi and I get so few flats anyways (I know *knocks wood*) that the convenience/weight ratio is negligible between a frame pump and a good quality high-pressure mini-pump like the Road Drive.

edit: to reply to the topic specifically, I'm not sure if the light weight of the IPump would outweigh having to pump for 5+ minutes. I doubt it would be easy to get to over 100psi with such small pump volume, and that kickstarter 'video' that has a still photo of a dismembered hand holding the pump doesn't exactly convince me. :noidea:

bazmac

by bazmac

DMF wrote:If that tiny thing can reach 150psi I'll eat my entire bike for breakfast. Very much doubt it would ever even get close to 80psi... And even that would be more than a 100 strokes. At one or another point, it just boiles down to the laws and limitations of physics...

I agree, there is no way known that will reach 150psi in 100, its just simply physics, total volume multiplied by number of strokes.

Cheers baz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devon

by Devon

But a CO2 can weighs 17g...

DMF

by DMF

Ehm, no it doesn't?

rbynck

by rbynck

Was i really the only one noticing this?
A flexible 100m hose makes it easy to reach even the trickiest of valve stems without accidentally breaking a presta head off.

If it weighs 21 grams and yet has a 100 m hose i will buy it immediately!

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Devon wrote:But a CO2 can weighs 17g...

16g cartridge is 57-60g on my scale
Speedplay is the devil!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

rbynck wrote:Was i really the only one noticing this?
A flexible 100m hose makes it easy to reach even the trickiest of valve stems without accidentally breaking a presta head off.

If it weighs 21 grams and yet has a 100 m hose i will buy it immediately!
Well, that is obviously a typo and is supposed to be 100 mm (i.e. 10 cm).

On the other hand, maybe "the carbon bodied pump can inflate tires up to 150psi/11 bar" is also a typo, and is supposed to be "the carbon bodied pump can inflate tires up to 15psi/1.1 bar". That would at least be more in accordance with the laws of physics than the laws of marketing/hyped investment schemes.

timj

by timj

I was an original backer on kickstarter for this pump. I'll post a review as soon as it arrives.

Rick

by Rick

I calculate that it will require 103 strokes for a 700 x 23 clincher at sea level.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

any123

by any123

I also ordered one, and had a personal contact to Morris Ostrow, the inventer.
He is a nice guy, as i think. But i hope that he will also send the product. I am waiting and impatient.

timj, did you get your product yet?
I didn't :-(

to be honest, i don't expect a lot of this pump, it is more a "wannahave" gadget. and for me it is an emergency solution only, i use to take an adapter with me (2g) to pump my presta valve tubes at gas stations. so the pump must only be good enough to bring me to the next gas station.

At the moment i use the Barbieri Nana (30g).
on this pump i really missed a hose, or any kind of fix connection to the valve. the rubber gasket is worn out too fast, in my case usually after 5 uses or so. (do i do something wrong with it ?!?)