Do I need the end cap things on a BB30 bottom bracket??

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

Hey guys. So I originally got a wheels manf bb30-24mm spindle bottom bracket. So it has the two C clips and the two bearings plus the two plastic adapter things. I now have a bb 30 crankset. I notice the sram bb30 bottom bracket is just 2 c clips, 2 bearings and then 2 black cap things. Made of metal by the looks of things. Do you know if I need these?

I notice wheels man sell a bb30 bb which is just the two 2 c clip and 2 bearings. And it's 15 grams lighter. I assume this is because it doesn't come with the end cap things? Doesn't show them in picture at least. So I am confused on if I can use what I have or if I need to purchase another BB to get the two cap things.

Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

Anyone know if it's just like another seal to help stop grit getting in the bearings? Or being made of metal is it a plate thing to make sure the cranks are up against it and it makes the correct placement against the bearings to spin efficiently? Still can't figure out if it's needed or not.

miceden

by miceden

The piece you are describing is a seal/barrier against dirt & grit getting at the bearings yes... sitting in between those pieces and your crank arms you should have a wavy washer on the drive side and possibly spacers... on the non-drive side you may have spacers... depends on your frame and chainline.

But otherwise to answer your question... you could do away with them but you'd a). need more spacers, and, b). your bearings would die a quicker death... so yes, use them.