Trouble Controlling Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TestingItOut

by TestingItOut

Hoping someone can help. I recently built up a Ridley Helium frame and took it for a spin yesterday. I started out with my Eastern EC90 tubular wheels and noticed that the front end felt slippery. I started to think that may tubular was going to roll off the rim. So I turned around and threw on my carbon clincher. This time I noticed a distinct pulling on the fork. As I increased my speed the pulling from left and right decreased. I figured it was the wind flowing through the front fork pushing against the wheel. It was very much like being hit by cross winds on deep dish wheels. The problem being that there was no cross wind. So I couldn't figure out why it was happening. The sad point is that it makes the bike very hard to control and keep in a straight line. It also makes me less certain at decending at speed or hard cornering. Anyone else experienced this same sensation and did you do to resolve it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

legs 11

by legs 11

Is this what WW has become? .......... :roll:
Check and adjust the headset, check and adjust the spoke tension and the front skewer....... :beerchug:
Last edited by legs 11 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedalling Law Student.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Why not have a mechanic take a look at your front end

legs 11

by legs 11

lol......brilliant.
Pedalling Law Student.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

legs 11 wrote:Is this what WW has become? .......... :roll:

Sadly, yes. This site has changed a great deal in the last few years.

LouisN

by LouisN

Are all the parts original ?
Or
You built the frameset from gathered parts ?
Maybe a compatibility problem...

My guess: Overtightened headset, or missing headset part...

oh...

:welcome: to WW's

Louis :)

Fixie82

by Fixie82

That sounds very similar to a riding buddy who bought his Masi direct from the importers/buddy working there (who were not even bike enthusiasts, let alone mechanically minded) and put it together for him. They put the top headset bearing in upside down and his first ride had handling characteristics as you are describing. Fortunately it was rectified before any real damage could be done.

I would suspect a headset issue of some kind as well

TestingItOut

by TestingItOut

Thanks everyone. Oh for the weight weenies; the bike weighs 15 pounds with SRAM red, TRP brakes, and Easten EC90's. That coupled with a 145, 6 foot rider makes the total package lighter than most. So yes you can say it fits the bill of this site.

DMF

by DMF

Well before you go off bragging, first of all it's Easton, not Easten or Eastern. Secondly, around here 6,8kg isn't exactly "light".

Not to mention that 65,7kg isn't superlight, but it is fairly light at 180cm... with that in mind, how is your power to weight ratio?

euan

by euan

I think that this isn't anything exotica, weight weenism used to require a certain level knowledge which meant this sort of issue was avoided or resolved well before needing to ask it on the fourm.

GotsToBeDifferent

by GotsToBeDifferent

DMF... euan... are you kidding?... the guy comes in first time and you two decide to correct his spelling and ridicule his attempt at light cycling... take a hike... get off your bike and walk up that hill... wow... unheard of... shameful... Testing it OUT, find a reputable bike shop... ask around... let them help you sort it out... good luck

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com