Climbing in N. Italy, Switzerland, Austria. Where??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

airwise

by airwise

June and the world is usually your oyster.

Not too many tourists around in the best locations and weather is usually kind.

I ride around these areas - have done for the last four years - I organise tours and help out friends. So not a local but I'd definitely recommend the Alta Badia in June. I'd avoid it like the plague in August mind. You'll have both an enormous number of famous cols on your door step, and being a world heritage site, it's also a great place for the family to go walking, climbing or simply siteseeing.

Recommend basing yourself in Arabba to offer the greatest number of routes.

The alternative of Switzerland is fun, but the roads around Andermatt do get very busy. I'd aim for Meiringhen and ride the same cols - you may well be cutting the season/timing a bit fine though for the likes of the Susten and Nufenen.

I find the traffic around Como to be too intense. Same with Lake Garda and Monte Baldo.

All in all, Arabba takes a lot of beating for me, or the nearby Cortina if you fancy somewhere more sophisticated.

Enjoy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Just came back from a short jaunt up Monte Serre in Lucca and to be honest I was't that impressed. There are routes that are just as good (Think stage 17 of this years Giro) 15 minutes from where I am currently living in Vicenza. If I had a guide who knew the area I am sure there are a ton of great roads out there, but it was very similar to what I have up here.
Instagram @seanblurr

micky

by micky

seanblurr wrote:I'm just a few minutes from the downtown area. There are amazing roads just outside of Downtown (Monte Berico backside for those familiar).

I passed by Monte Berico today.

As for Monte Serra, it's not famous for being a spectacular climb, but just cause many pros use it as a climb for their tests.

buc

by buc

@dogma85

did you ride the loop Kranjska Gora - Vršič-Mangart-Sella Nevea-Kranjska gora ? it's quite a bit of climbing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Miller

by Miller

dgasmd wrote:I will likely go out to ride by 7Am and be back within 3-4 hr max.

You might not want to be over-ambitious with rides over multiple 2000m+ cols on that basis, and your family will want you to have enough energy to do holiday stuff in the afternoon. I guess you'll have to negotiate a few days just for yourself to tackle some big loops. You'll also want a mobile (cellphone) with roaming enabled so you can keep in touch with your family.

dogma85

by dogma85

buc wrote:@dogma85
did you ride the loop Kranjska Gora - Vršič-Mangart-Sella Nevea-Kranjska gora ? it's quite a bit of climbing

Unfortunately not the whole loop.... did not had enough time, but I will next time when I planned to explore Slovenia more.