Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trillo1111

by trillo1111

Anyone here with the light-bicycle 45mm U shaped rims? With the 17mm internal width, I'm curious about how wide your 23mm tires end up measuring? I've heard wider rims can make a 23mm tire almost 25mm wide... and if so, I'm concerned over the rear tire clearance on my 2010 Felt F2. As an alternative, I just got some cross section drawings of their wider 23mm carbon clincher rims and they look like a good U shaped also, while being slightly narrower with only 15.5 internal width... Anyone have experience and/or pics of the light-bicycle 23mmx50mm carbon clincher (no good pics on their site)? Or maybe I should just go for the 45mm U rim and switch to a slightly narrower tire to offset...?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sspring

by sspring

trillo1111 wrote:Anyone here with the light-bicycle 45mm U shaped rims? With the 17mm internal width, I'm curious about how wide your 23mm tires end up measuring? I've heard wider rims can make a 23mm tire almost 25mm wide... and if so, I'm concerned over the rear tire clearance on my 2010 Felt F2. As an alternative, I just got some cross section drawings of their wider 23mm carbon clincher rims and they look like a good U shaped also, while being slightly narrower with only 15.5 internal width... Anyone have experience and/or pics of the light-bicycle 23mmx50mm carbon clincher (no good pics on their site)? Or maybe I should just go for the 45mm U rim and switch to a slightly narrower tire to offset...?

the rim ends up wider than my tires so if the rim fits your good. i am running tubeless but i would imagine the rim being about the same width as the tire with any 23c clincher.

natefontaine

by natefontaine

I got 2 sets of Clark's carbon specific pads for $20. Excellent stopping power and no squealing.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

eric

by eric

johnnyboydotca wrote:No, they have a version for carbon brake tracks as well. They are the blue ones not the black ones for alloy rims.

The carbon pads are the R55C4, not the C3. The pics I found show black pads.

johnnyboydotca

by johnnyboydotca

eric wrote:
johnnyboydotca wrote:No, they have a version for carbon brake tracks as well. They are the blue ones not the black ones for alloy rims.

The carbon pads are the R55C4, not the C3. The pics I found show black pads.

I thought the same as well. But I actually have a couple of sets here. I had ordered these originally for my old Dura Ace C50 clinchers and then found out they were for carbon rims only when I got them. I think I will try them out on the new wheels at least to see how they compare tot he stock blue pads that came with the wheels.

eric

by eric

OK, that's really confusing on Shimano's part.

Where did you get those?

Gex64

by Gex64

About to order some 50mm Yoeleo carbon clinchers with Novatec hubs and can't decide between the 23mm or 25mm U wide rims? Any advantage to either? The 23mm are V shape and 25mm are U.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro are great pads. Made by Swisstop. $28 off the bay.

drewb

by drewb

trillo1111

I have Light Bicycle U shaped 45mm rims.

My Continental 23mm GP4000s tires measure 25.5mm at their widest when inflated to 110psi. Hope this helps.

sspring

by sspring

Gex64 wrote:About to order some 50mm Yoeleo carbon clinchers with Novatec hubs and can't decide between the 23mm or 25mm U wide rims? Any advantage to either? The 23mm are V shape and 25mm are U.

this has been answered several times in this thread.

read all the opinions, do some research on the topic and decide for yourself.......

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

drewb wrote:trillo1111

I have Light Bicycle U shaped 45mm rims.

My Continental 23mm GP4000s tires measure 25.5mm at their widest when inflated to 110psi. Hope this helps.

I've seen the Conti 4000S measure 24.7mm and up. Depends on the rim bead width. Those go all over the place from 14mm-20mm.

Carbon rims are often in the 17mm range for the inner bed lip on clinchers.

Curious if you had a measurement of your rim bead lip?

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I ordered some HongFu 56mm tubulars I will have built up. Down side, Alchemy apparently is closed for awhile, I guess they go on hiatus around this time of year for a few months? Strange.

Anyway, nobody has their hubs in stock, so it won't be until late January at earliest I could use those. I would prefer to build up the rims just like my HongFu 40mm with Alchemy ORC UL and ELF, CxRays for consistency, but might not have a choice.

Considering building them up with Tune Mag 170 rear and maybe Tune Mig 70 front instead. Not many options out there that offers below 190g rear hub weight, 24 spoke in black in the market that is going to build up reliable and stiff and cost in the $400 range, and in stock someplace. Don't know what other options for a 20/24 build in black at low weights there are, not many I've found. Seems like my only alternative and option.

Will report back with photos/weights of the rims, should have them within 10 days.

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

Have you guys tried the Light-Bicycle 24mm tubulars?
I'm thinking of ordering some as my "racewheels" and with the lighter hub option Bitex

http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-24m ... rwnYvTuLT8

How is stiffness?
How is real weight?

TheDoc

by TheDoc

Finally got around to build my HongFu AR40 Tubular. The rims came in at 372g and 379g which was pretty much on the spot. Finish was much better than my 2-year old 24mm carbon tubular from another Chinese open-mold seller.

Here's the build spec: 20 radial front and 24 2x rear on both sides with Sapim Lasers and poly-ax aluminum nipples laced to a set of new White Industries T11 hubs. They will be glued to a set of Vittoria Corsa 25s. Hoping to get 'em done sometime after the holidays.

Front: 564g
Rear: 749g

Total: 1313g. I can live with that. Here are few quick pix before I left to finish some errands..

stcact

by stcact

Doc... really nice looking wheelset.Thanks for the details on the weight. Good to know the rims came in close to the advertised weight.
Do you recall who you were in contact with when placing your order?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com