Corima Viva MCC S or LW Gipfelsturm

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gb103

by gb103

RM27 wrote:Last sentence means - I like the look of the low spoke count but the low spoke count is what concerns me with durability.

Thank you - You provided the answer I was looking for. I just placed my order with Starbike so I will soon find out for myself.

I'll update this after I receive the wheels.

Doubt you have anything to worry about regarding wheel strength, check out link.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/com ... lset.html#

RM27- what made you choose the viva s mcc instead of the winium + mcc when vs the lightweight gipf? Whas rim height the deciding factor?

Don't forget pics and a review of the wheelset

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RM27

by RM27

Doubt you have anything to worry about regarding wheel strength, check out link.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/com ... lset.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RM27- what made you choose the viva s mcc instead of the winium + mcc when vs the lightweight gipf? Whas rim height the deciding factor?

Don't forget pics and a review of the wheelset

Thanks for that link. It's great to read that after 2 broken spokes he was still able to ride the wheel.

I chose the Viva S over the Winium + because of depth. I already have LW standards and wanted something slightly low profile or lower profile. I chose it over the Gipfelsturm mainly because of price to weight ratio and I am hoping for some aero benefit. The difference in weight vs the Gipfelsturm was next to nothing, the difference in price was extreme in comparison. I also like the look of the wheels and wanted to try something different.

I'll post pics and review after I receive the wheels. I believe/hope they will ship very soon.

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Any more feedback on the Viva MCC S wheelset? Thanks!

RM27

by RM27

RippedUp wrote:Any more feedback on the Viva MCC S wheelset? Thanks!

Unfortunately still have not shipped from Starbike. They seem to be having trouble getting them from Corima. Going on 6 weeks now since order placed.

Starbike has been good with responding to my emails but I am about ready to forget them and move onto something else.

RippedUp

by RippedUp

I might order a pair to replace the Enve 1.25 tubulars that I just sold to a friend.

RM27

by RM27

RippedUp wrote:I might order a pair to replace the Enve 1.25 tubulars that I just sold to a friend.

Did you ever order the Corima's. Still looking for feedback.

RippedUp

by RippedUp

RM27 wrote:
RippedUp wrote:I might order a pair to replace the Enve 1.25 tubulars that I just sold to a friend.

Did you ever order the Corima's. Still looking for feedback.

Yes, I am ordering them soon. Should be riding them the first week of June. Will keep you all posted.

RippedUp

by RippedUp

RM27 wrote:Did you ever order the Corima's. Still looking for feedback.

Got them and rode them up in France last week where I also climbed Mt. Ventoux.

The wheels are fantastic - the best I've ever owned; they roll amazingly well - they climb with great momentum and roll very easily at higher speeds at the head of a peloton.

Rode them on long climbing routes of 120+Km for a week; they also felt comfortable, yet very stiff, especially off the saddle. I had them on Conti Competition 25', inflated at ~110 psi
Braking with DA9000 and the supplied pads is very efficient with excellent modulation. Very powerful as well; it is much easier to lock up a wheel compared to my sets of Enve 3.4

The only negative point is wet performance braking which is very poor - maybe the cork nature of the pads?

Finally, the finish is beautiful, especially the chrome hubs. And the wheels themselves look very unique on any bike with their limited spokes.
You can see some pictures of the bike on page 5 I believe in my signature below.

Cheers! 8)

RM27

by RM27

Perfect timing. My set arrived last week, in the process of glueing the Tubs. I went with 25mm as well, Vitoria Corsa's. Glad to hear you are happy with the wheels. Looking forward to trying mine out this week.

They look great on your bike. Thanks for the review!

kgt

by kgt

RippedUp wrote:The only negative point is wet performance braking which is very poor - maybe the cork nature of the pads?

Yes it is the pads. Maybe the best pads available when dry but not that confidence inspiring when wet.