Why are Pro's abandoning Speedplay Pedals?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bregnhoj

by Bregnhoj

Cheers,
And merry christmas

As the headline suggest is there any specific reason regarding why Pro's are abandoning Speedplay Pedals ? Like performance (powertransfer etc) versus Look, Shimano and Time?

Or is it just a plain coincidence of new sponsor agreements?
Last edited by Bregnhoj on Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My bikes incl. De Rosa Superking and Cervelo R3
Twitter & Instagram - @mathiasbregnhoj

Oswald

by Oswald

Money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Pro's are abandoning Speedplays?

I thought their pedal choice was largely linked to the team they are on and as such not really something "they are abandoning". Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that Shimano or Look or someone else is probably paying more to be the pedal sponsor for the team resulting in the "abandoning of Speedplays"?
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

Bregnhoj

by Bregnhoj

And that was exactly my question, SolidSnake.

So let me rephrase - Why are Pro Teams abandoning speedplay pedals?

I just thought, that in theese days with the marginal gains of Team Sky, there might be a competitive reason when teams choose to ditch speedplays.
My bikes incl. De Rosa Superking and Cervelo R3
Twitter & Instagram - @mathiasbregnhoj

mattr

by mattr

I think the last genuine mass abandoning of pedals was probably the time tbt, everyone from there on in has been paid to ride pedals (with a few exceptions).

It might be that speedplay have been spending their sponsorship budget on legal fees.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

To me it seems simple enough that a giant like Shimano has 100x the money of Speedplay so it just comes down to numbers, even if Speedplay is doing very well financially they will NEVER have the financial power and capacity of Shimano *most popular pedal in the pros I would argue*. Shimano can just "out buy" Speedplay to get more teams on their pedals. Seems straightforward that Shimano is most likely pushing more teams to go "all in" on their stuff like components, bars, saddles, pedals etc...
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

jooo

by jooo

I imagine a number of these riders will be back on Speedplay when racing starts. I don't think it's uncommon in the off season to see 100% sponsor correct gear for the media circus and then back to shoes/pedals/saddles etc that actually work for the rider...

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Given there's no unclipping (aside from punctures) for the Pros, I fail to see there's any benefit to Speedplay to a Pro beyond the marginal stack height gains if running four hole shoes. Most don't, so there's even less of a an argument for Speedplay. I doubt the float has any bearing on their choice as most are fitted to their bicycle correctly and any float required would be amply provided by any of the 3 hole systems around.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Because they suck as a pedal system?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I still love my Speedplay pedals. I'm on an original set of X1 and X2 on each of my two road bikes. I'll never use another road pedal system.

I think the answer to the OP lies completely in contractual obligations. Very few riders have any say in what equipment they actually use. You have to be a very big name to specify certain component or clothing choices. The only exception I see among less famous members of the peloton are shoes and saddles.
Last edited by xnavalav8r on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidalone

by davidalone

I don't use speedplay, but I'd think that the ability to place speedplay cleats further back than normal 3hole pattern shoes as well as more cornering clearance are definite advantages.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Xamples plz?

elviento

by elviento

Still a pretty good deal than those who have to step up as the main title sponsor when big banks and insurance and other sponsors are fleeing the sport altogether. How much is BMC's budget? 50 million?

Juanmoretime wrote:As others had mentioned its economics. I know from an inside source a frame/bike manufacturer had to supply a 100 frames/bikes and $600,000 to be the "team" sponsor. Very steep for anyone small in the industry.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

mattr

by mattr

elviento wrote:Still a pretty good deal than those who have to step up as the main title sponsor when big banks and insurance and other sponsors are fleeing the sport altogether. How much is BMC's budget? 50 million?
More like €10-12 million. Sky's first year budget was well publicised in the UK press at £9.5 million. And I think Rabobank had the highest budget up to a couple of years ago. In the €15ish million bracket.

Don't forget, a lot of the headlining riders huge "salaries" are nothing of the sort, it's made up of personal sponsorships and equipment deals plus a salary from the team. Not to mention there have been some big cuts in budget over the last couple of years too.

And 100 frames plus $600000 (a lot of it probably provided as equipment) isn't anywhere near as much as it sounds. The $3000 frame and forks built up into a $10000 (retail) bike probably only costs the equipment provider around 40% of the headline figure. And it'll probably be written off against their advertising budget too. So less tax to pay.

Still big figures make great advertisements.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

prendrefeu wrote:Because they suck as a pedal system?

:goodpost:

And the winner!
Speedplay is the devil!