My road disc project, CX frame + Campag + TRP HY/DR brakes

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

welkman

by welkman

I am going to build up a F059 or F058 CX frame to be a race bike in the winter and road trainer in the summer. If I like the frame enough I may go for two as race bikes (I tend to damage them). Colours are a hard thing to pic when pushed but maybe something Red and White to match my club kit. You sir have inspired me and lightened my wallet, chapeu !

thp

by thp

How do the brakes compare to cable and hydraulic setups?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Thanks for the comments, people.

Hear what you're saying about red graphics on the stem but they're the 3T livery and I'm not about to change it. It is a winter bike after all so it has to be practical and pragmatic.

Yes, Chinese carbon prices do make experimentation slightly less of a financial risk, good luck with your plans Welkman.

What are the HY/DR brakes like... not exactly what I expected. Modulation and progressiveness is excellent and they are pleasantly silent (unless wet). But there is too much lever travel before pad contact. I am going to install better brake housing and see if that makes a difference but I won't be surprised if it doesn't. Related to this I am not sure if the ultimate stopping power is as good as it could be.

As it happens I got chatting the other day to someone who was on their first ride of a Spesh road or CX frame kitted out with the new SRAM 10sp hydraulic disc brakes. His first impression was that they too had more lever travel than he'd like before pad contact.

Miller

by Miller

Miller wrote:I am going to install better brake housing and see if that makes a difference but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

I was wrong. I did install new brake housing and it has made a big difference. I put in some Goodridge inner and outer. I've had good results with their gear housing in the past and the brake housing is in the same style, rather inflexible but compression resistant and with low cable friction. To set up the brakes with Campagnolo levers what I'm doing is relaxing the brake levers using the quick release button on the ergo, clamping the cable on the HY/DR brakes, then setting the brake levers back to normal position. This pulls the cable in and shortens the lever travel. With the new housing the brakes are making contact sooner and I now have enormous levels of braking power - if I squeeze hard they're fierce.

Added to the cabling upgrade, and as a spin-off of my umlenker travails, Graeme_f_k of Velotech did a fine job of upgrading my RH ergo with new innards so I'm now rocking Centaur 11-speed.

Goodridge brake cable kit

Road disk bike v1.1 cockpit on a winter solstice ride (it's Southern England, of course there isn't snow)

I revised the gear cable routing at the front of the bike. Bringing the gear cables to the other side of the head-tube gives a better cable line there. I crossed the gear cables over the top tube because the existing way I was routing past the seat cluster is still the best. I'm not sure the crossed cable wins style points but it has a slight practical benefit in my knees not catching the gear cable as they were sometimes doing.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Kinda hate it.

Kinda love it.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Miller

by Miller

I kinda know what you mean. It's nice to ride though.

fletch62

by fletch62

Man, this bike has really got me thinking about building a Chinese road disc bike. Got a heap of parts to use/ sell off to help build it.
FM-166 frame, Record 11, TRP HY/DR brakes, carbon clinchers ...
Damn you Miller!

pushstart

by pushstart

This is a beautiful build. I had exactly the same issue with the Umlenker on my cross bike -- and have been happy with the CX70 as a replacement.

I am building a road disc bike now. Kinda regret not having mine painted, love the striking color choices here. I ended up going with the Yishun FM145 frame, which has same measurements as the Hongfu/Dengfu FM166 (maybe it is same frame, though looks slightly different at seat stay/seatpost junction). Building LB U45 + Novatec disc wheelset (no brake track). I am going with Spyres instead of Hy/Rd, I think, though not sure yet. Like simplicity + clearance adjustability of mechanical, also want minimal caliper width for heel clearance on the shorter (412mm) chainstays. (Do the Hy/Rd stick out beyond chainstay much?)

Miller

by Miller

Thanks for the comments. The Hy/Rd are quite compact I think. I'm away from home right now, Christmas and all, but when I get back I'll try to remember to post a photo from above so you can see for yourself how much width they have.

djm

by djm

Awesome build :-)

Miller

by Miller

pushstart wrote:Do the Hy/Rd stick out beyond chainstay much?

Here you go. They don't stick out at all on this bike.

pushstart

by pushstart

That is awesome, thank you for uploading the picture! I think I might be convinced to go the Hy/Rd route! (Post-recall Spyres not available yet, anyway.)

mattythemod

by mattythemod

Great looking frame , can i ask how much it was and did you get hit for customs tax and duty when it came to the UK ?

I did have a look on there website but they dont seem to have any prices listed unless you register for an account .

Miller

by Miller

Yes, I had to register for an account too. Their customer communication was good. Can't remember the exact price offhand but the frame including a matching seatpost and with carriage was something like USD $630. The import duty was minor, £25 or so, so in GBP terms the final cost was a bit over £400. GBP has strengthened lately against the dollar so it would be better now.

I'm still enjoying the bike very much. I think I've never had a new bike that has so regularly been ridden in wet and muddy conditions, you can hardly do a ride at the moment in Southern England without encountering floods, but it's standing up well. It's certainly a winter for full mudguards. The bike is also a nice stable platform for roller sessions for when it's just too grotty outside.

dogg

by dogg

very cool build, as others have mentioned the different shades and colors are kind of offensive but thats a super versatile looking rig.

now you just need to get some cx fatties on there and get dirty!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com