Specialized Chicane Saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Hey,

Wondering if anyone has some experiences/impressions with this saddle? It looks quite different from most of Specialized other saddles and haven't really seen many reviews/talk about it. I'm interested in it since it seems like it could be a pretty comfortable perch but don't have any locally to try.

Anyone have one? Like it? Dislike it?
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

hasbeen

by hasbeen

I just put one on two days ago. So far only trainer sessions. Its been going well up to this point but I dont pass judgement till outdoor rides. That might be awhile where I live, sadly.
Sorry I cant help more than that.
I am on a long journey seeking a saddle to replace my beloved Selle Italia Evolution!
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

Based on the fact that Tom Boonen helped design it, I'd say that anyone who likes the San Marco Regal or Fizik Aliante will be a fan of it. I've been thinking of one for myself, but the Regale is just too good to me.

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

I really like the chicane, I've ridden just about everything in the Specialized line and a lot of others as well, and it's probably my favorite. I've been a long time toupe user, but about a year ago I started trying some different saddles, and ended up on a romin evo for awhile, which I liked the "tail" at the back, but didn't like that the nose has some rise to it, making it really only usable if you stay "in the pocket". I also found the evo to be too padded.

I liked the Romin, but found the nose too wide, if the nose wasn't so wide, I think it would have worked.

I've always found the toupe to be good, but not great. I can ride it day in and day out, but every now and then it isn't too comfortable for whatever reason. I tried the chicane (143), because I liked the concept of it being flatter than the romin in the front half (similar to the toupe), but have the tail in the back like the romin. To me, it has the best characteristics of both the romin and toupe in that sense. I also found I like the classic shape side relief.

Long story short, I then decided that it was a bit too wide for me, and have been riding a 130 toupe while I'm on the search for a 130 chicane. I'm trying to be patient because I think I might get one from Santa... I still have the 143 chicane in white/team, PM me if you're interested.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Great! Thank you for in depth review/impression of the saddle. Your take on the Toupe, Romin and Romin Evo are all spot on for me.

I currently have a 143 Toupe which I like but I just never feel 100% great on it, maybe too much of the "sitting on top" feeling instead of really being planted in the saddle. The Romin was wide in the nose for me but otherwise good and exact same impressions of the Evo, too much saddle!

I might have to try a Chicane, currently I'm on a Prologo Scratch TR which is pretty good but only time will tell if it really holds up...

NealH

by NealH

weekapaugin wrote:
Long story short, I then decided that it was a bit too wide for me, and have been riding a 130 toupe while I'm on the search for a 130 chicane. I'm trying to be patient because I think I might get one from Santa... I still have the 143 chicane in white/team, PM me if you're interested.

Interesting that you decided to go down in width. When I tried the Romin, it was a 143 which is the same size I ride in a Toupe. I had a hard time telling if it was the right saddle for me. Initially very comfortable, then problems with my sit bones after about 50 miles or so on a ride. Then I tried the 155 Romin evo and liked it a lot. I've been on one now for two years now and, like you say the tail end is nice, the sweet spot Ok, and the nose not so comfy. But its livable and I've put many miles on them (I have two). I've been thinking about trying the Chicane in 155.

Saddles are not only highly personal preference oriented, but also highly affected by adjustment and fit. Move a Toupe up a cm and it can kill one. Down a cm and it might be the perfect saddle.

FourRings

by FourRings

I really wanted to like the Chicane, as it seems to have a lot of things going for it. For me, it didn't work out. I found that the edges of the saddle were both "sharper" than other saddles and flared out enough that they dug into the back of my thighs - ouch. Maybe I sit further back on the saddle than some, maybe I'm just weird, who knows. I really recommend trying as many saddles as possible - in your shorts, on your roads, for at least an hour. If your LBS won't let you, find another shop. Alternately, most online shops allow returns.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Sadly the buy and try isn't an option for Spec saddles since the only online place is Spec's website I don't think they do returns on used parts. Also, my local shop would have to special order the Chicane since they don't stock it at all, only have romin, romin evo and toupe.

So far i'm getting along better with the Toupe now since adjusting it a bit nose up but still not a big fan of the "shell flex". I don't know exactly what it is but I don't really like the whole shell bending and flexing on the edges. Not like I'm a big guy either... 130pd

Considering the Antares R3 as well, anyone know about that guy?

hasbeen

by hasbeen

I gave up on the Chicane. I was getting along with it ok but switched back to a different saddle and it felt a bit better. Will be selling it along with about 10 other saddles.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

KWalker

by KWalker

I have a black 143 for sale.

Specialized does 30 day no questions asked returns on online orders for saddles and softgoods.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Did not know that about Spec's website....great to know. Sadly the Chicane is all out >_<