XX1 style chainrings for Cyclocross. Finally in.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Scatterbug

by Scatterbug

So a clutch rear mech can be used with these rings?

On a double chainset should the ring be fitted to the inner or outer position?

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Scatterbug wrote:So a clutch rear mech can be used with these rings?

On a double chainset should the ring be fitted to the inner or outer position?

Of course!:) you can use clutch or non clutch.
Clutch is better as you have less chain slap overall, but with non clutch mech it will work as well good.
Reason i was saying all the time that it works with non clutch is because most people still use non cluch rear mech in CX. Clutch mech is a lot better of course but if you don't have one then it's ok as well as it will work.

Photos of Mical's bike are on full Sram Red Grouppo but she used on the same race 2 other bikes and one was equipped with x-0 clutch mech.

If you have space in the frame, mount it on inner position as it is better one. But if such position will rub on chainstays, you will have to move to outer. This heavily depends on the frame and how many spacers you have under bb. In general inner position is a bit better, as chainline is better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Scatterbug

by Scatterbug

Thanks Marcin. Looking forward to the ring arriving and trying it out.

GeEk

by GeEk

Does anybody has any experience with the Absolute Black CX chainrings together with a Shimano 11 speed chain??

WB

by WB

4 races and no issues with a Shimano 11speed chain and my absolute black ring. 1 really dry bumpy course, 1 semi muddy course and 2 fast dry courses.

NS

by NS

Last edited by NS on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vcnz

by vcnz

I'm done with these rings. I was so enthusiastic when I first tried the 42T, that I also bought the 38T later on. They work great in dry conditions but they didn't work in the mud (at least not for me). I also had issues in deep sand (dry).

I would like to sell them, so if you guys are interested let me know otherwise I'll use them for training only. For now they are just collecting dust in my garage. They are both red.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Nick, It will be hard to sell it when it goes back to me.
I am always happy to help when something is not working, but i need to have some information from the client to help him solve the problem.

We have Mical Dyck (No 1 in CX in Canada), Marek Konwa (National CX chamipon) running these rings all the time with no issues, along with lots of customers by now around the globe. If they would not work Mical or Marek would not be riding them in the races.
Some Morvelo members from UK also use them.

Marcin

To not to look like only AB customers have sometimes problems with the setup below is what Wolf tooth writes on their web:
"Note on mud: wide/narrow chainrings do no work well in heavy mud (Wolf Tooth or any other brand) if you plan to ride in very muddy conditions, we recommend a chainguide or chainkeeper and clutch-type rear derailleur! Without these precautions, you may experience chaindrops and/or chainsuck."

Like we wrote on our site as well, in very bad conditions chainkeepr may be needed. To avoid it, it is really necessary to have your parts dialed up correctly. That's why professional racers have such a good success.
If there are lots of chain drops it means something is set up incorrectly and we are here to help our customers solve it.

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

Hey guys.. We've just had some riders in my Team start using the CX rings after I linked up with Marcin in the Summer.. My thoughts on them is so far that , the rings we get from Marcin are TOP NOTCH..but it depends on the conditions, no single ring set up works in deep mud for an entire race ,but swapping bikes.. thats what we do in cross sorts that out! It's pretty logical where they work and were they don't.

www.kinesismorvelo.com I'll get a review of them the rings up there soon

Bruce

welkman

by welkman

Two races setup with sram force groupset and all is well. One race was dry but really bumpy and fast and the other was ankle deep mud. I am so impressed that I am going to use the setup on my new build with 130bcd cranks. Thanks!

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

It is a great pleasure to say that after a highly successful year our award winning CX chainrings now are getting cheaper!

It was my ongoing commitment to deliver you best possible product in best possible price. The more we sell the lower we can go. This is this moment where I can safely say that we received a great deal of attention and customer satisfaction from our products.
So now I would like to give something back to you.

check for new prices here:
http://absoluteblack.cc/cx-rings.html

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

Any reviews of people running 11 speed shimano?

Interested to know how the new 11 speed long cage mech would work? Also do the new 11 speed mechs have the 2 spring tension settings?

Why can't shimano release an 11 speed clutch mech for cyclocross?!? they've already proven it in the mtb world

vcnz

by vcnz

Thanks to these chainrings I lost a regional championship last year

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com