Do you have to earn your equipment with skill?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

carbon2329

by carbon2329

:exactly:

Like I always say, if we had to buy cars that fit our driving skills, then most of us would be driving mid-size sedans. Really, how many people who have a car really are in need (because their commuting/driving skills require it) a sports car.

Honestly...there are speed limits on 99.999999999999999999999% of all roads (in the world), that a mid-size sedan can easily reach and drive on. (I'm not talking about off-road stuff...I'm talking about driving to work and the store :) )

Buy what you want and enjoy...it's all about the fun. :thumbup:

Zoro

by Zoro

Skorp wrote:What do you think?
Please buy whatever you think is cool, better, from those that sponsor cyclists - especially juniors.

Racers and pros may not have better stuff than you can buy. Because of UCI rules, sponsors, crashes, support, traveling etc., racers bikes still tend to cost far less than what the weight weenie exotics cost.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

Ofcourse, as I stated earlier, buy whatever you want as you'll still get smoked by a lesser bike. And while you don't HAVE to earn your gear, there is actually such a thing as making oneself deserve it. I.e that tubby wobbler on LW's in the intermediate speed group on the club run, is sort of like showing up at Nürnburgring in your brand new Ferrari while you don't know how to shift a manual stick...

I'm not saying everyone shouldn't buy whatever their heart desires, but let's not kid ourself in this PC culture, as there is that too...

davidalone

by davidalone

I would hesitate at buying SRAM red on my first road bike.

while you certainly look like your bike handling should be up to scratch, I've said it time and again that based on my view as a mechanical engineer, shimano is much more rugged and crash-proof than sram ( especially sram red.) Sram is really light and well-priced, but shimano will go down hard and can have a pretty good chance of still being functional. not so much with sram.

ricey155

by ricey155

I think your better off riding a lower quality bike at the start and building up to a top end machine. I swopped every 2 years with improvement. I hope I can buy my 4th come 2016.

Nexus 4 kit kat

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

equipment doesn't matter if the bike looks bozo.

also good bike setup on apex looks better than poorly setup sram red.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

If you are anything like the rest of us your equipment turnover will be pretty high, so whatever you buy now will most likely not be what you are riding in a year or two. I went 105 5700 > Ultegra 6700 > Dura Ace 9000 > Sram Force 22 over a 4 year period, and only the DA and Force stood out as better than the rest and even then only marginally.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I sometimes take an old 1981 Alan out on club runs. a couple of times one club member says out load why do you who runs a bike shop ride these old falling apart bikes (they are old but not falling apart). That annoyed me so on the ride I sat on the front and pulled the group along, old bike do not make a slow rider. I like nothing more than riding an old bike quickly. Still if you want a new 6 kg bike why not if that whats floats your boat ( just don't tell those who ride old stuff they are doing something wrong).

My equipment turnouver is low as I don't sell anything I just get a new frame and buy more kit it is a disease I recommend you don't catch it.

RichieE46

by RichieE46

I most definitely fall under this category...I've been cycling less than a year and I am on my 2nd road bike, which is a 2013 Cervelo S5 Di2

I am not fast, nor do I claim to be. I am far slower than the veteran guys on my university team. But I love my bike. I love maintaining/modding it and I love cycling (And I get to lose weight). I'll get faster over time but to say I "deserve" or have "earned" to ride a high-end bike is probably not true. But it doesn't bother me either :)

Phill P

by Phill P

Buy what ever you want - its your money and your passion!

Just be aware that the price difference between a 7kg build and a 6kg build can be quite large. You can easily build a 7kg bike that will be awesome and you will love to ride it, but it will be a bit more hardy and cheaper to maintain.

First you should think about the type of riding you will be doing, the terrain, and the distances, then go to a few different bike shops and ask about the models they have that would suit what you want and see how they go for fit.
FIT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN 1kg OFF THE BIKE!

A good stock bike will come with a nice frame and fork, DA or red to your choice, good enough bars stem seat posts etc, but likely lesser wheels and tires. So there will be your starting point.

From there you could buy a new set of wheels (to your taste) which will likely save weight, but if you have DA cranks or red BB30 you will struggle to scrap a lot more weight away without spending huge amounts more.

But then if you go through WWs you will see there are lighter brakes out there, you don't get light weight quick releases stock with most wheels, you could do some bolt tuning, there might be a few hundred grams in the stem/handlebars/seat post if you want to spend the $$$.

A light bike is as much about passion as it is about speed. If you want to go faster - ride more! If you love your bike, you will spend more time on it!
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

wickedwheels

by wickedwheels

Not in the least...

How many Porsche drivers are out there racing? How many people that wear Rolex or Omega watches are diving or going to the moon?

If you can notice the difference and appreciate it (and afford it) then why not get it! Life is short! Enjoy your toys.

bricky21

by bricky21

Fast riders don't pay attention to this type of stuff.

Slow riders who want everyone to think they're fast pay attention to this type of stuff.

New riders pay attention to this type of stuff, because they think that fast riders pay attention to this type of stuff.

Who here has ever been, or seen someone berated for "not deserving" they're bike? These standards seem to be much more prevalent on the internet, and twitter than in the real world. At least that is the case were I ride.

Don't worry though, because if you show up to a fast ride on a $20,000 bike, and 2 watts per kilogram to power it you won't be around long to get made fun of :wink:

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

I have started my build :)
It's not going to be as high end as most of you guys are riding..

Scott Addict R2 2008 frame and fork
Hed Stinger 5 carbon tubs OR 38mm china carbon tubs
DA 7800 fd, Sram red crank, Red RD, Red STI levers
Ritchey WCS Carbon anatomic handlebars
Planet-X brakes

This is enough "lightweight" and top spec stuff for me to get comments im sure.. So i need to get in gear and start training properly..
The bike will easily go under 7kg. (very rough calc = 6.4kg) around 6kg if i buy new wheels, brakes and chainrings.

Bricky:
Don't be so harsh! :P The fastest local riders like to chat about gear and will certainly notice my bike. They allready commented my old CAAD7 because of my china 38mm tubs..
The slow riders do really not care unless its the newest stuff they like and want (which is not going to my bike, 2008 frame)
The noobs are riding alone, hiding in some strange road.
We have two former pros in my city, they do really not care about equipment. One does not talk about bikes at all, only tactics..The other loves classic design and old bikes. Not into talking about new stuff at all. ( Record and Orbea is the best, end of the discussion) I work with the latter.

spud

by spud

I admit I did not read the whole thread, but here's my two cents - I like nice gear, and I have it. No reason you shouldn't if you have the $ to spend.

But...I've been riding a long time, and I know what I like. There is definitely a risk that you splash out big $ for whatever, then with a little time on it you find it doesn't suit you. For instance handle bars. Buy latest greatest carbon bars only to discover you'd prefer a deeper drop, or a shorter reach, whatever. furthermore, as you spend more time on the bike, your position may well change. What was a prefect fit 6 months ago may now be too short in the top tube, too long in the head tube, etc.

At the end of the day, most of us are working with limited resources, so it helps to be really informed about the gear you are buying.

Just read your update - you are on the right track...
Last edited by spud on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vdrey

by vdrey

I wouldn't call your bike "low end"....maybe "well loved".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk