Crown race not sitting flush

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Read carefully. Not distortion as bending. Distortion of the inner diameter because its been reused and/or hammered on to try to make it fit. Or....it just doesn't match. In either case, its absolutely mind boggling that we've spent three forum pages trying to make a used 10$ part fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SDP

by SDP

try a diff race ..like Matt said .. i think chamfer is wrong ..

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

May I ask what happened to the old fork? Did it break and if so where?

em3

by em3

Ah-hah....good question. Be sure to tune in for the next episode, as this plot thickens and keeps us in suspense.

EM3

rmerka

by rmerka

From the first post:

tinchy wrote:OK, not sure if anyone followed my previous posts but recently got a new fork for my CAAD10 (old one was cut too short by previous owner).

I have to agree with goodboyr here though...should have just got a new race for use with the new fork. This whole procedure is quite possibly one of the easiest things to do on your bike with just an appropriately sized piece of PVC pipe and a concrete slab.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

goodboyr wrote:Read carefully. Not distortion as bending. Distortion of the inner diameter because its been reused and/or hammered on to try to make it fit. Or....it just doesn't match. In either case, its absolutely mind boggling that we've spent three forum pages trying to make a used 10$ part fit.

One possibility is, is that this fork hasn't been manufactured to the correct tolerances. Assuming that is, that the people that have tried to fit the crown race know what they are doing.

If the crown race was previously on an integrated style carbon fork, it would most probably have been removed with a universal-style puller, and these have the habit of not damaging the removed part.

Yes, but get a new crown race and try to fit that. If the same problem is encountered then the fork is quite possibly defective.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bricky21

by bricky21

I'd imagine it's because he bought from overseas, and is hoping not to have to go threw all the hassle of an exchange. The only thing for certain here is that it's not acceptable to just leave the crown race improperly seated.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Valbrona wrote:
goodboyr wrote:Read carefully. Not distortion as bending. Distortion of the inner diameter because its been reused and/or hammered on to try to make it fit. Or....it just doesn't match. In either case, its absolutely mind boggling that we've spent three forum pages trying to make a used 10$ part fit.

Assuming that is, that the people that have tried to fit the crown race know what they are doing.

If the crown race was previously on an integrated style carbon fork, it would most probably have been removed with a universal-style puller, and these have the habit of not damaging the removed part.

Those are two big assumptions. I've seen tons of shops remove these with a flat screwdriver and hammer. And of course that's a perfectly acceptable method, if you dont plan on reusing it.

wynnbb

by wynnbb

I have the same issue with my 2013 CAAD10. There is a ~1/4mm gap under the crown race, only on the back side. I can only see it by shining a flashing on the opposite end. I took it to my LBS and he hammered it down with the crown race settee but made no difference.

Was really paranoid at first...... 1200miles later still haven't had a chance to solve it. Bike steers fine with no slop or noise. Now it's so dirty down there you can't see anything.

I do however remember spotting gaps on other CAAD10s at the store. Definitely not an isolated issue.

russianbear

by russianbear

bricky21 wrote:I'd imagine it's because he bought from overseas, and is hoping not to have to go threw all the hassle of an exchange. The only thing for certain here is that it's not acceptable to just leave the crown race improperly seated.

He bought it from a Cannondale dealer.