Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Right, my mistake, it was definitely the clincher they tested where the sidewall of the tire would blow out before the tube or sidewall of the brake track. Still can't find but a brief shot of that video I recall seeing somewhere...intrawebz...sheesh.

Regarding delamination. I believe it was Enve who recently said that on tubulars, on the glue surface, which really doesn't provide much for structural support, as long as the carbon isn't peeling up over the edge into the brake track area, no big deal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

natefontaine

by natefontaine

Gluing up, will report back with ride quality later.
1384gm is great.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

thp

by thp

Anyone know which open mold is closest to Novembers Rail 34?? I'm looking for some options in the 25mm wide x 3Xmm tall range @ ~380g.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

HongFu has a 58mm clincher/tubular "aero" model. About as close as you will find I believe. Otherwise, you have to go down to the Light-bicycle 45mm

Not sure of any 50mm aero that has shown to be of good quality out there right now around 52mm...

Wait, you have Rail 34...didn't know that existed, thought it was called the 52?? Typo?

aaric

by aaric

They just announced the Rail 34, in addition to the 52: http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/20 ... -rail.html

sspring

by sspring

Light-Bicycle mentioned they were planning a 35mm deep U-shape rim

Other than that I'd say your 2 closest optins are the Hongfu 40mm or the Light-Bicycle 45mm.

Honestly not sure why you would need anything smaller than the Light-Bicycle 45. I don't notice a problem in crosswind ever and its 1380 grams so weight isn't exactly a problem. I havent ever wanted a shorter wheel in the wind in the several thousand miles I've ridden them. I'm sure the guys with the Hongfu 40 will say the same

pushstart

by pushstart

Not sure if this was already mentioned, but there is a Farsports 25mm-wide 38mm-deep rim. I can't get a URL, as it looks like their web sites were hacked this weekend.

johnnyboydotca

by johnnyboydotca

Just got mine (took 14 days to get to Canada). Very well packed and came with 3 extra spokes (didn't even ask for any) and some stickers and the blue pads. I also ordered the Ti skewers and a couple of carbon bottle cages. Wheels look great and are true. Spoke tension seems a touch off by a ping test but I'll take a better look at the shop later on. Overall they look good though and pretty pleased with the communication and transit time. Too bad we have a foot of snow on the ground right now. Claimed weight I think was 1360g and they came in at 1324g.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

they look nice mate, what tubs are you going for?

johnnyboydotca

by johnnyboydotca

Not sure yet. New to tubular. Leaning towards 25mm Veloflex

trillo1111

by trillo1111

Do you mind if I ask how much you got dinged for duty and taxes?[quote="johnnyboydotca"]Just got mine (took 14 days to get to Canada). Very well packed and came with 3 extra spokes (didn't even ask for any) and some stickers and the blue pads. I also ordered the Ti skewers and a couple of carbon bottle cages. Wheels look great and are true. Spoke tension seems a touch off by a ping test but I'll take a better look at the shop later on. Overall they look good though and pretty pleased with the communication and transit time. Too bad we have a foot of snow on the ground right now. Claimed weight I think was 1360g and they came in at 1324g.

johnnyboydotca

by johnnyboydotca

Troy - No duty or taxes. Combo of using Canada Post and Yoeleo putting "warranty replacement" on the Customs forms!

johnnyboydotca

by johnnyboydotca

Anyone use Shimano R55C3 pads on their Chinese wheels?

eric

by eric

Those are for aluminium rims.

If you use them on aluminium rims they'll pick up shards of aluminium. The Shimano pads are pretty bad about that.
The shards will chew up your carbon wheels. You can take the pads out and pick out the shards but it's difficult to get them all.

I recommend carbon specific Swiss Stop black prince or reynolds blue (or Farsports blue carbon pads which feel the same but cost much less).

johnnyboydotca

by johnnyboydotca

No, they have a version for carbon brake tracks as well. They are the blue ones not the black ones for alloy rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com